H magneto no spark after tune

Rock2001

New User
I'm in a bad luck streak. I hand crank my H and for a long time it's been a pain to start when warm. I've heard that could be the condenser, so finally I took the magneto off, replaced the condenser, put it back on. Now I get no spark. The tractor was running fine before this. The only thing is I slightly dropped it when taking the mag off and cracked the rotor. I tried an old rotor I had, as well as the old condenser. Nothing. I went so far as to order a coil and tune-up kit. Put on the new coil, another new condenser, and new rotor. Still nothing. What the heck am I missing?

Impulse sounds fine. Timed to first timing mark. When I tightened up the condenser, maybe I went a bit tight, and I saw the threaded part turning while the condenser case was not. Would that break it?

Thanks

You may have a single strand of primary touching the housing somewhere, or the primary wire is pinched under something it shouldn’t be and cut through the insulation.
Possible damaged condenser became grounded when the stud turned.
Possible kill line grounded somewhere on the tractor.

New points? They usually have a film on them that must be cleaned off to produce spark......old points? They probably need cleaning. We use a finger nail file ( emory board) then a dollar bill .

When you say no spark did you have a plug out to confirm that or are you saying no spark because the tractor doesn't fire. If you had the mag off its easy to put it back and be 180 degrees off. You will still have spark but not where you want it.

I also have had issues with one switch . Take wire off and try it without switch In circuit.
check and clean cap contact , also the contact on the coil should be 15 degrees towards contact in cap for good contact .
Check insulation on wire from condenser to points for grounds and insulation to the wire contact to switch ,can’t be grounded.

I also have had issues with one switch . Take wire off and try it without switch In circuit.
check and clean cap contact , also the contact on the coil should be 15 degrees towards contact in cap for good contact .
Check insulation on wire from condenser to points for grounds and insulation to the wire contact to switch ,can’t be grounded.
Clean point contacts with paper business card to remove the protective coating on contacts .

I'm using a timing light to test the spark. If I plug one sparkplug wire directly to the cover, it will spark. Through the cap it won't. I have 4 rotors and 2 caps, I don't see anyway they can all be bad. These aren't temperamental parts, right? All the wires seem to be fully seated.

I can check the coil contact. I probably put it straight up. But if it is sparking to the single plug wire it is probably fine?

I have the proper testers to find the trouble, also have the magnet charger to charge up the magnet for a good hot spark. Let me know if you still need help.

There is a gear drive inside the magneto that has to be properly timed. Maybe you got that out of time while you had it open. Use the tooth with the "R" mark to time it.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, R timing mark. I'm getting a lot of deja vu. I think I did this to myself 10 years ago too. These are the gears effectively behind the rotor? I did take them off for what ended up being no reason. I cursed myself, but I thought it was slotted so I breathed a sigh of relief and threw it back together. I guess not?

There is a gear drive inside the magneto that has to be properly timed. Maybe you got that out of time while you had it open. Use the tooth with the "R" mark to time it.
In addition to what Jim said if you have a (1) and (2) mark, the 2 mark on the big gear lines up with the mark on the small gear. The diagram shows it aligned with the L but use the “R” The R stands for right hand rotation, or top of rotor moving to right. This is what is used on an H. (I am no expert on these the 1&2 marks may have been pre H, the manual I am referring to says “on older”)

Attachments

• IMG_4026.png
    IMG_4026.png
    861 KB · Views: 10
That was it. I had just looked at the slotted fit for the small gear and totally ignored the large gear. GRRRRRRRRR. Keep an eye out for this question again in 10 years.

Thanks

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back