This how I used to drill holes in ties before the day of cordless drills used a big auger bit
cvphoto157253.png

I can't imagine using an auger in that breast drill, the gearing is way wrong. You must be mighty strong. Jim

Grew up using one of those also a push drill for smaller bits. Thought a new Sears electric drill was great stuff.

I cranked a lot of holes into maple trees with the same model drill. It finally wore out, we bought a new one, and it just wasnt the same, geared differently. We spent a lot of time searching antique stores, classifieds, and auctions, until we found a usable replacement. It got hung in the rafters at the sugar house when we got the first gas powered tapper. Its still there. I take it down every once and awhile for show and tell. Now I do all my tapping with a battery drill.

I need to be on the lookout for another one of these drills they really work well. Think in the early days I bet John Deere bored a lot of holes with a drill like that

It was last year, my cousin stopped at my shop one evening and asked to borrow a 'cordless drill'. I told him the only operational 'cordless drill' I had had a crank on the side.

It was hanging high up on the shop wall. I don't use it much. So I got a ladder and he used the hand drill to put a hasp on a door in a shed that had been broken into.

My dad had a drill very similar to that one, it was a 2 speed. After he passed I ended up with it. I was showing my brother how it had two speeds and he asked me if it had a reverse,,,,so I started cranking it the other way. he just slapped his head and stated laughing. True story.

Called a breast drill and in Amish country they are selling for a very good price. Lots of different sizes, some multi speed, some single. Bought a lot of them for the Amish I worked with. Some with the breast plate, some just a handle.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back