Harbor Freight New Paint Gun

I wonder if the number in the model number 1.7 refers to the tip size. If it has a 1.7mm tip it might be a better sprayer for primer. I believe the purple gun has a smaller tip. I can't find the owners manual on mine.

The model 64823 does come with a 1.7mm tip. They have a model 64824 gun that comes with a 1.3mm tip. It is a High Transfer Efficiency sprayer though which I don't have any experience with.

(quoted from post at 18:14:04 07/24/19) The model 64823 does come with a 1.7mm tip. They have a model 64824 gun that comes with a 1.3mm tip. It is a High Transfer Efficiency sprayer though which I don't have any experience with.

I have the older HF purple gun. What tip does it have? Is the 1.7 tip what you should use to shoot a primer?

I hate their plastic cups. They leak, if exposed to certain basic solvents like acetone they distort. Never will I but them.

If you want to spend that much money, northern tool has a good set. A 1.7 him, 1.3 gun, touch-up gun and regulator for about the same price. I have painted numerous tractor and mine still are great.

I was in the store yesterday and they had a black and red one for around $179.00. It looked like it had a composite body.

I have been using HFs disposable plastic cups. I think they come in a 6 pack for like $10. I actually clean and reuse them. Acetone no problem. After a bunch of cleanings I throw them out.

(quoted from post at 02:27:22 07/25/19) I have been using HFs disposable plastic cups. I think they come in a 6 pack for like $10. I actually clean and reuse them. Acetone no problem. After a bunch of cleanings I throw them out.

I use those too. No leaks for me and love them because I can throw them out when done and just clean the gun. Less mess.

The purple gun comes with a 1.4mm tip. A larger tip like 1.7 or bigger would be better for primer. Primers have a lot of solids and tends not to atomize very good.

(quoted from post at 05:52:36 07/25/19) The purple gun comes with a 1.4mm tip. A larger tip like 1.7 or bigger would be better for primer. Primers have a lot of solids and tends not to atomize very good.
ok. Thank you. I need to try to find a couple of each size to keep on hand. Wonder if HF sells them seperately?

I saw in a flyer yesterday that they had a 199 dollar gun. I have paid 25 bucks for Devilbiss JGAs at garage sales. There is no finer gun than a Devilbiss JGA. I would stick to a H-F 10 dollar gun so I can throw it away .

(quoted from post at 13:45:20 07/25/19) I saw in a flyer yesterday that they had a 199 dollar gun. I have paid 25 bucks for Devilbiss JGAs at garage sales. There is no finer gun than a Devilbiss JGA. I would stick to a H-F 10 dollar gun so I can throw it away .

The "Black Widow"?

You can get it for $159.99 when the product specific coupon shows up, but that is still pretty high IMO. If it came with an extra tip or 2, sure, but there are just too many tried and true sprayers on the market in the $150-$200 range for me to take the risk. Your into Iwata bare gun territory here (just get a $10 acetal cup on ebay for it).

Something else I notice on the black widow - it has a swivel fitting on it. I personally would hope that comes off without destroying the gun. Otherwise my inline air regulator will never be facing the right direction...

HTE gravity feed is the only way to go. JGA was great in its time and if that is what you are used to, it's solid. I learned on one and used a Sharpe 975 for quite a while. Picking up those old dinosaurs now just feels like a targeted delt workout.

1.7 is great for some built primers but your epoxy, etch, sealers don't need a tip that big. 1.4-1.5 is the best all around for me. In fact my experience is that the 1.7 is too big for most things and then too small for when I've needed a big tip. Get a cheap 1.9-2.2 for the heavy stuff so you don't have to thin it back down..

I've still got a few siphon feed guns and a couple of HF HVLP guns I bought for my son who was taking a body class at a local tech college. They all work pretty good to be honest. I still use the siphon feed guns now & then for certain projects but HVLP is a more efficient design.

With that said though, I recently looked into the Astro line of HVLP guns and found out that my younger brother uses them when building streetrods......he says he loves them.....works as good as any other gun he's had....and for a lot less money.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back