Hard Steering Co-Op E-3 (Cockshutt 30)

DFZ

My "47 E-3 tricycle is fairly hard to steer. I need to double check this, but am fairly certain it is all in the spindles bronze thrust bearing. I keep it well greased. At least I grease it often..

Are those old bronze trust bearings supposed to turn that hard? I have often wondered in anybody has ever found a sealed trust ball or roller bearing to put in its place down there? Even if you had to machine out the pedestal a little bit it would seem like a good idea..

Even with no weight on the tractor it is fairly stiff turning, and when I pull with it and add #1000 to the middle and nose of the tractor it is really hard steering.

Thanks for any and all replies...

I had time today, so I lifted the front of the tractor up off the ground with the forklift and with weight off the tractor it steers with your little finger. Pretty sure it is all in the trust bearing.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back