Hardest thing I have ever done

notjustair

Sometimes the hardest things to do should be easy!

They took out my gallbladder and found a pretty large hernia at the same time. This was a week ago tomorrow. The gallbladder was a piece of cake. I didn't realize how bad I felt for so long. That hernia is a mean one, though. I'm suppose to only lift up to 15 pounds for several weeks. I should just stay in the house, because every time I leave it I end up in pickle. Staying still is the hardest thing I've ever done! Friday I drove some trucks to the elevator and was in the combine until 9:00. I regretted that. The last three hours or so I could feel the stitches pulling on that mesh with every bump. I stayed in bed Saturday and didn't mind that.

Yesterday I got my two high school hired boys to follow me around for the day because I just knew how it would go. I still ended up pulling a calf and doctoring mama and baby. It kills me to pay kids to take the twine off bales while I feed or dump buckets of grain out the back of the pickup, but it seemed to help because I don't feel like I've been run over today. It was only after I sent them home at dark that I remembered the grain truck sitting there with a bad battery. That's gonna weigh more than 15 pounds I bet.

I'm gonna get a load of fertilizer today but wait a day to spread it. That bouncing is going to wait.

It's not like I didn't plan ahead and wait until the cattle were moved and I (thought) harvest would be over. I bet I have half a day in the combine and it is a nice smooth field. Being limited on what I can do is still the hardest things for me. I'd rather make myself sick doing too much! I don't know how bench warmers do it sitting inside watching tv all day. I guess I should follow their lead since I probably caused the hernia with my antics after I had my appendix out.

I know what you mean. My appendix ruptured on October 6 1997. I was in the hospital for 8 days after that little stunt. About the fourth night,I started leaking out of the incision,so they just took some stiches out and packed it with gauze. They sent me home that way. I wasn't supposed to go to the barn because of the open wound,but Dad and the boys needed a break after I'd been home a week or so,so I went.
The darned thing healed shut before all the infection was out,so on Veterans Day they had to cut me open and pack it again. I milked alone that next morning. I didn't think I'd ever get done picking corn that year. I don't remember when I finally finished up,but things were froze up pretty solid by the time I got done.

I had a hernia procedure this past April. I found the recovery uneven in that I felt better during week 2 of the recovery versus week 3. I really felt that I did not want to lift anything for at least 3 weeks after the procedure (recommended no more than 10 pounds). It was 5 weeks before I felt confident and with the wet May we had I wound up missing very little outside.

I once had my gall bladder out and two hernias fixed at the same time. I wasn't supposed to lift over 5 pounds for two weeks. I was taking an evening class at NU at the time and my books weighed more than 5 pounds, so my wife carried my books to class and got lost till it was time for class to end and she'd carry them back to the car.

RELAX This too shall pass! Several years ago I had 2 one I could see and one that was running down my leg. Had 'em fixed only the doc must've used a contaminated mesh on the bellybutton cause it infected and we fused with it all summer. So after it heal up I made the mistake of catching a toppling barrel not very much weight it was only slightly over the balance point but it was enough. New Doc and this time his exact words were I'll fix that so there are no more. He put a mesh in that cover front of my belly from one side to the other. There have been no more hernias!

X 2! Friend wouldn't listen to doc and tore the mesh loose. His second fix was much more involved than the first. I was two mo. before he could do anything. Try to take it easy or you may regret it.

I had double hernia surgery probably twenty-five years ago and went to work the next day. I always tell people when it comes up to be sure to pull both sides, because at least in my case, because it was double, the insurance would pay for arthroscopic, so I had just four incisions just about 5/8 inch long each. Piece of cake.

easy does it ,,. you dont wanna rip the mesh loose . this is one surgery that exercise to the extreme side will not help . bouncing on a tractor seat even if all you do is rake hay at 6mph can be bad news,, Guess How i Know ??? yes ,BTDT and still remember the pain of that mesh about to abort, and all the scoldings i got from my Dr . my Daughters , my sisters , my current wife and Even my 1st Wife, of all things ,. LOL // T ell us what harvesting you need to do , what model machine ?? ,.. will you have plenty help ,/. and is there anyone almost qaulified that can run the combine ,. If You Have the Support help ?..more than likely if you can make it to the inside of the cab ,You are Home free!, if your combine is a MF 750 hydtostat like mine,there is nothing strenuous to do once there , perhaps you can get a lift with a fork lift or FEL ?? would not be the 1st time .. i do admire your tenacity,,..

Yes ,,. BTDT with the mesh ,,. did not go back in ,,.but every now and then when i bend or pull or jump down , I Get a Rude reminder ,and mine was done 15 yrs ago at age 46,and i still can get a rodknokin when i overdo it or jump down .. DO TAKE PROPER TIME TO HEAL ,.no one said it yet ,, climbing carefully is one thing ,,. but getting down is another ,, NO JUMPS ,, damit-imeanit

When I was 29 I had one fixed. I was operated on at 11:30 am and by 5 that afternoon I was back in the barn milking. I didn't lift much for a few weeks but kept going doing what I could. 5 years ago (38) I had the other side done. I wasn't nearly as spry and souple as I was the first time. Please take care of yourself,you'll be glad you did.

I have had 2 hernias fixed over the years. Recovery was painful. Do NOT take chances. Let them heal. Today, I am as good as new. All my regular farm work. But, I am careful not the over eat and I avoid lifting heavy things.

If you DO NOT let that hernia heal you will regret it. IF you let the mesh heal correctly you will be good as new. If you screw around and tear it you will be in pain all of the time. They may not be able to fix it the second time either. I know of two guys that did not wait to heal and they are mostly crippled up by not being able to do much of any work.

Hiring the rest of the harvest done and some help around the farm will be cheaper than the long term health care cost of messing your recovery up.

Looks to me like you got enough telling you take it easy and rest up, without me telling you about Mike i worked with that was not very old at the time and wishes now he'd listened !. Take care and look after yourself. Regards Robert

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back