TO-20 TSX361 carb questions

Mad Farmer

Just getting back to working on the TO-20 I got last fall. 1952 with TO-30 engine, still has TO-20 TSX361 carb.

I'd tore down and got the carb pretty well cleaned up last fall then progress stopped. I have the complete carb kit from here.

Besides a ton of rust in the bottom of the bowl carb was in pretty good shape. Had to use acid to get the rust out of the bowl.

Questions.

1) I got every thing out but the power jet. Passages/jet seem clean but I'm afraid I'll muck up the jet trying to force it out. I have a screwdriver that fits the jet in the kit well. No luck getting it to turn out. Should I chance it's clean enough? Air/cleaner passes through easy, I can see the orifice is clean with the little plug out. Thoughts on this?

2) I lost the little plug that seals the bowl underneath the power jet, there is not one in the kit. Is that same threads as the power jet?

3) I have an extra brass plug in the bag of parts. Can't find a place it goes and not on the IPL. It's brass and same thread as the main nozzle (1/4 fine?). Can get a picture if that would help.

4) Spring on choke shaft was rusted/broken. I assume the spring goes on to the hold the shaft in the open position, not choked. Correct?

5) I plan on reusing as many of the original parts that appear in good shape, save the rest if I need them later. Shafts seem to have no play can I skip replacing the seals packings?

Any advice appreciated. I did one of these MS carbs on my 9N ~ 30 years ago and that has not been a problem since.

cvphoto161389.jpg

Little plug on bowl is same thread as idle jet (#2). Going to hardware store to match up a plug.

edit: little plug screw is 8-32. Got a brass dome head screw I'll shorten as the new plug. I wanted to replace the drain plug, dam hardware store had nothing in pipe plugs.....

This post was edited by Mad Farmer on 08/21/2023 at 09:37 am.

Sounds like you are making progress without any comments on this forum. I can't help, because my TO-20 has a Carter carburetor on it. I would agree that that broken spring was to hold the choke open. You don't want it held closed.

(quoted from post at 05:56:20 08/21/23) Little plug on bowl is same thread as idle jet (#2). Going to hardware store to match up a plug.

edit: little plug screw is 8-32. Got a brass dome head screw I'll shorten as the new plug. I wanted to replace the drain plug, dam hardware store had nothing in pipe plugs.....

This post was edited by Mad Farmer on 08/21/2023 at 09:37 am.
Let me know what you all you need.. I have pretty much all of it.
Kary

(quoted from post at 13:36:23 08/23/23)
(quoted from post at 05:56:20 08/21/23) Little plug on bowl is same thread as idle jet (#2). Going to hardware store to match up a plug.

Kary

Kary thanks. Im set on missing stuff. Still dont know where extra brass plug goes?

This post was edited by Mad Farmer on 08/24/2023 at 09:39 pm.

(quoted from post at 21:38:39 08/24/23)

Kary

Kary thanks. Im set on missing stuff. Still dont know where extra brass plug goes?

This post was edited by Mad Farmer on 08/24/2023 at 09:39 pm.
Can you take a picture of that plug? I might be able to help you out if I seen it.

(quoted from post at 20:47:21 08/25/23)

Kary
Can you take a picture of that plug? I might be able to help you out if I seen it.
ttps://forumphotos.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/mvphoto109029.jpg[/img]

Found out where the plug goes.........when I painted the carb Pluged all the threaded holes w/paper towel to keep paint off the threads.

One hole was hidden by the paint, looked like the painted carb surface. It is right under the flange that mounts the carb to manifold. Noticed it when putting parts in this afternoon. First picture.

Appers to be a place to hook up a vac gauge to manifold. It is not shown on the parts IPL for the carb.

Couple more pictures, one showing the plug I made from a brass screw.

mvphoto109034.jpg

mvphoto109036.jpg

mvphoto109037.jpg

mvphoto109038.jpg

This post was edited by Mad Farmer on 08/26/2023 at 02:56 pm.

(quoted from post at 08:11:25 08/26/23)
(quoted from post at 20:47:21 08/25/23)

Kary

It's just a brass plug. Seems to have same thread as the nozzle, 1/4" fine ?

mvphoto109029.jpg

Found out where the plug goes.........when I painted the carb Pluged all the threaded holes w/paper towel to keep paint off the threads.

One hole was hidden by the paint, looked like the painted carb surface. It is right under the flange that mounts the carb to manifold. Noticed it when putting parts in this afternoon. First picture.

Appers to be a place to hook up a vac gauge to manifold. It is not shown on the parts IPL for the carb.

Couple more pictures, one showing the plug I made from a brass screw.

mvphoto109034.jpg

mvphoto109036.jpg

mvphoto109037.jpg

mvphoto109038.jpg

This post was edited by Mad Farmer on 08/26/2023 at 02:56 pm.
That plug goes on the inside of the carb, I ll have to look tomorrow, but I m certain it goes inside take a gander and see if you have a threaded hole that it fits into, I ll get back with you in the next day or so.

Been away a while. The plug fits right under the stud that mounts the carb on the rear side. The hole goes clean through into the manifold above the throttle plate.

Hard to see in the picture as it's painted black like the carb.

I assume it's a port to hook up a vacuum gauge.

EDIT

One tip. Hookup linkages BEFORE bolting carb to manifold

This post was edited by Mad Farmer on 10/04/2023 at 06:34 pm.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back