Hay Wagon Running Gear Identification

lbohen

New User
I recently bought hay wagon running gear but there is no label identifying what brand or model. I was able to tow the running gear about 10 miles to our farm.

Two of the wheels wobble so I think the wheel bearings need replacing and both wheel hubs need caps. The caps screw on.

I am attaching photos the wheel hubs and would appreciate info on the brand and/or model and where to get replacement parts.

I'll be glad to attach photos of the whole running gear if that will help identification.

mvphoto91272.jpg

mvphoto91273.jpg

mvphoto91274.jpg

mvphoto91275.jpg

mvphoto91276.jpg

This post was edited by lbohen on 04/25/2022 at 08:43 am.

Your best bet for hub parts is to find the part numbers on bearings, races, and seals and go to any auto parts store to buy them. If you cant find numbers, you can bring
them to a parts store and have them measured and find ones to match. The hub cap might be pretty tough to find.

Heat. With a torch. If you don't have a gas cutting torch, use a smaller torch used for soldering from the hardware store. The yellow MAPP gas will be very hot, and will
help you remove those lug nuts. Short of a torch, spraying parts with a penetrating oil like PB Blaster and waiting might help.

The hub caps just get a regular pound on
one that is close to right size and with
vise grips bend the ring out of shape and
pound it on. Don't take much to hold them
on. What rusted parts are you needing to
free up? If its wheel off hub take a wood
4x4 and beat it off. Maybe the bearings
just need tighten.

your best bet is to remove all them wheels clean all the brgs. inspect them . even if there is some rough or pitted ones it will not hurt a
thing on that wagon. it is not a road unit and and if the bgs are not falling apart it will outlast you. greasing and adjustment is the
ticket. remember the old wooded wheel wagons had no brgs. and had to be packed with grease on the axles. pulling it around at horse speed it
will last forever.

i also was going to say get a tomatoe can or the one that fits over the hub and just tape it on . will do the job for a shot or long time.

It is an IHC wagon. The bearings are cage roller bearings. An Amish machine shop near DeGraff Ohio can make new ones.
A wagon like that sold at a farm sale at Fletcher Ohio last Saturday.
You can see it in the Auction results video I put on YT this morning.

Forget about tightening up those bearings. They are non-adjustable. Those are sleeve bearings. The rollers are flat and run right on the spindle, or the may simply be bushings. The only adjustment is end play.

I would suggest to just tighten them up a bit based on the third photo. Unless you're going to be doing a lot of road travel, tighten them up, grease them good, and keep on going for another 20 years.

I think R Aiken is right. It looks like an IHC McCormick Deering. Just keep it greased and use it as needed. Forget about having parts made

And I think it has caged roller bearings and are made yo work well when badly worn. It was made a long time ago when tapered bearings were not as easily found as today. You may want to replace the lug bolts, Just drill out the old ones that are broken and replace with cap screws and tapered lug nuts

The Amish machine shop that R Akin mentions is a friend of mine and he makes those straight cage type of bearings. The wagon is a 40's to early 50's McCormick and McCormick is the only company that ever uses those 8 bolt wheels and used on grain drills and plows built at that time. Most are 16 but there are some 15 out there as well. You might find the hub caps on a McCormick MF grain drill. The bearing when wore out just will fall apart. The bottom side of the axle will be worn from where the bearing run on them, The back axles If I remember correctly are a stub axle of a streight shaft about 2 diameter and can be taken out and put in a lath and turned round and a bearing race can be made to work on that turned down axle with new Ohio at Degraf made bearings. Front axles cannot be removed from the assembly to turn but you could build that flat bottom up with weld and grind down to round again. Without doing this even with new bearings you cannot tightem up the bearings. The Amish place to get them made is Sam's Machining and being old order Amish does not even use a phone owned by someone else, He is just a bit north of SR 47 and east of SR 235. Has been a couple of years since I was to his place as I have moved and gotten out of machinery repair bussiness for Amish. And yes there should be a felt seal in there but will be shot so just use the grease gun a lot .

(quoted from post at 23:31:02 04/26/22) The wheels tell mr it is a McCormick as they are the only company to use that wheel.

Can the wheels and hubs be replaced perhaps with another brand's wheels and hubs?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back