Jeremiah's Tractors
Member
I have an 8n that I am rebuilding when I torqued the head down this happened at two spots!!....... What do you guys think? I didn't over torque it.
Each hole seems to show a "countersink", like a drill cut into the head. Are bolt heads too small? Wonder if instead of 11/16 headed bolts, yours are 5/8, and too small to span the hole properly.I have an 8n that I am rebuilding when I torqued the head down this happened at two spots!!....... What do you guys think? I didn't over torque it.
View attachment 110545
View attachment 110546
Yes they are 5/8Each hole seems to show a "countersink", like a drill cut into the head. Are bolt heads too small? Wonder if instead of 11/16 headed bolts, yours are 5/8, and too small to span the hole properly.
The question is what did you torque them to?…65 to 70 ft. lbs is the speck. Show a photo of a couple of your bolt heads what do the shoulders under the heads look like? As much as some of these guys think that if Henry did it one way that is how it should be I don’t see how a washer would be of any harm here. I would use machine washers, these would be less noticeable to the scrutiny of those that concern themselves with such things.I didn't over torque it.
I torque them to 68 ft.lb.The question is what did you torque them to?…65 to 70 ft. lbs is the speck. Show a photo of a couple of your bolt heads what do the shoulders under the heads look like? As much as some of these guys think that if Henry did it one way that is how it should be I don’t see how a washer would be of any harm here. I would use machine washers, these would be less noticeable to the scrutiny of those that concern themselves with such things.
Bolt heads! I agree some lube on the bolt to head surfaces probably would have helped.Show a photo of a couple of your bolt heads what do the shoulders under the heads look like?
No problem, I can see where this may have led to your problem. Small block Chevy V8s used 7/16” bolts head bolts with 5/8” heads and they never had a problem with this. The Ford OEM bolts had 11/16” hex heads so probably a bit wider shoulder. If you go back with these use machine washers as I recommended above. I will let the Ford experts hash it out from here.
You're going with 11/16" bolt heads, right?I think I will use washers under the head bolts
I was planing on using bolts with 5/8 heads with washersYou're going with 11/16" bolt heads, right?
PS: It would not surprise me if Henry put a hex on anyone who replaced any of his beloved 11/16" fittings with another size.
I don’t know about a “hex”.. he has on occasion caused me to be vexed!PS: It would not surprise me if Henry put a hex on anyone who replaced any of his beloved 11/16" fittings with another size.
We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.
Copyright © 1997-2025 Yesterday's Tractor Co.
All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.
Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters
Website Accessibility Policy