Heavy Snow Pushing

rusty6

Me and the old 2090 Case got a real workout today pushing hard, deep, heavy snow away from the area where we needed to load wheat. Snow was deeper than the blade
in places and was high as the back tires on the tractor by the time I broke through a trail. Surprisingly strenuous work as I had to throw off my parka and hat
even though it was a bit below zero F outside. Working those gear and hydraulic levers was constant. Job got done, wheat hauled. Nothing broke. Some video of it.

cvphoto119148.jpg

2090 Snow blading

Sure going to be great having all of that H2O to replenish the soil this spring. Shuttle shift and 4wd would take a lot of the stress out of pushing that snow. I drive my truck so little in the winter and the loader tractor every day, when I do drive the truck, I find my finger reaching for the shuttle shifter when I need to back up while in the pickup truck, lol

Ah your a good marketer of your grain, you raised that wheat with cheap fertilzer and other inputs, you will be a survivor !!

(quoted from post at 21:37:00 03/03/22) Ah your a good marketer of your grain, you raised that wheat with cheap fertilzer and other inputs, you will be a survivor !!

More good luck than good management but I sold a couple of bins of two year old wheat earlier this week. Pretty much double the price of what I would got at the time of harvest. $12.49 per bushel.

Before I had a loader tractor I use to have to ram the snow to get through now I can just take it off a layer at a time

(quoted from post at 01:22:40 03/04/22) Before I had a loader tractor I use to have to ram the snow to get through now I can just take it off a layer at a time
The only times I've used the front end loader bucket to move snow is in corners where I can't get at with the blade. A five foot bucket is pretty slow otherwise. Once I get a trench hammered through with the 8 foot blade, then I just keep shaving off the edges a couple of feet at a time until its wide enough to drive. Obviously this snow trench makes a major snow trap for the next time the wind blows so I won't do it unless I really have to. The snow I pushed yesterday was five miles from home. I'm not driving that far with the open John Deere and snow blower at below zero temps.

Thanks for the video. Too bad you cant use the snowblower on that cab tractor, I am guessing the snowblower is to narrow to clear the wheel tracks of the 2090 Case ? Good to hear you did well on the grain price.

(quoted from post at 07:52:47 03/04/22) Thanks for the video. Too bad you cant use the snowblower on that cab tractor, I am guessing the snowblower is to narrow to clear the wheel tracks of the 2090 Case ? Good to hear you did well on the grain price.

Even the little John Deere at 70+ hp is way more power than that snow blower is rated for. I think 45 hp was the recommended size tractor. No gear box on it, just two bevel gears to drive the auger off the main pto shaft.
Yes and no on the grain prices. True I doubled my price from two years ago but just heard wheat opened this morning at $14 per bushel. About $1.50 more than mine sold for yesterday. Not complaining though.

(quoted from post at 22:33:56 03/03/22)
(quoted from post at 21:37:00 03/03/22) Ah your a good marketer of your grain, you raised that wheat with cheap fertilzer and other inputs, you will be a survivor !!

More good luck than good management but I sold a couple of bins of two year old wheat earlier this week. Pretty much double the price of what I would got at the time of harvest. $12.49 per bushel.

You did good on the price. Once in awhile we can reap some benefit from a bad situation.

I wondered why you have the semi turnaround so far from the bin. Is it not possible to push a wider place in the snow closer to the bin?

I remember you telling us some time ago that you market your grain in Dysart or Cupar. I suppose that's where these loads went?

Nice video as usual. Thanks for taking us along.

Ron

(quoted from post at 18:08:02 03/05/22) I wondered why you have the semi turnaround so far from the bin. Thanks for taking us along.

Ron

Thanks for looking Ron. There was not enough room between the bins and the bison fence for a semi to turn around so I had to go around the first corner to an open patch of grassland to make a turning area. Lucky it wasn't the super b train or I'd need more room. Yes, closest haul for me was Viterra Cupar. Cargill is not much further in the opposite direction but I'm not going there.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back