Hello from southern Ohio

Redden48m

New User
I'm not sure if this is supposed to be posted here I do apologize Hello everyone I'd like to introduce myself I have been following this website for a few years now but only recently was I able to finally get my grandfathers 48 farmall M from western part of Cincinnati to southern Ohio my name is Mark and I'm 35 I have a beautiful wife and two beautiful children Aubrey and Lucas my wife and I both served in the military and we meet while on deployment right after sept 11th in the middle of the Indian Ocean. The story of my grandfathers tractor is pretty neat he farmed for a gentleman for many years and in 1948 the gentleman bought a new tractor this 1948 Farmall m but did not want to pay the shipping cost from Columbus Ohio to Cincinnati so my grandfather,grandmother,and aunt went to Columbus and my grandfather drove it all the way back to Cincinnati my aunt said she could remember is seemed like it took forever for them to get back.Fast forward a few years the farmer my grandfather worked for was getting in poor health and was done farming pretty much and told my grandfather that the M was his to keep. My grandfather passed away in 1969 from a heart attack when my dad was only 19. Now my grandmothers brother offered to help take care of the tractor and what not but they also scrapped a lot of implements that my grandfather used with this tractor like the loader bucket and two row mounted corn picker . One day my Great uncle approached my grandmother about getting rid of the tractor and getting a smaller better one. And from what heard she put the fear of God into him and told him " you better not sell Alberts" tractor so he didn't buy eventually moved away and took the tractor with him. I could always remember the stories my dad would tell about this tractor ever since I was little and it has always been a dream of mine to get it. A few years ago my relatives approached my aunt who was the oldest child and said we are bringing your family tractor back and they did she was happy about that and it wasn't too much later and she passed away from cancer. But her children made sure the tractor went to my dad and our family so I have it at my house and I'm going to be in the process of slowly preserving it and fixing it as it has been poorly neglected over the years. Sorry for such a long first post but just wanted to introduce myself and the tractor story I will post pictures of it when I can.

Welcome to the forum. And Thank You to you and your wife for
your service to our country.
Having a piece of family history like your grandfathers tractor
is something special.
Good luck with it.

Steve A W

A cool story, but don't forget to change the grease in the final drive, most change the oil, but most overlook the grease, and it gets thicker with age!

Thanks for the replies and yes I plan on changing all the fluid but I'm going to have to do some seal replacement on the rear end because the outer axle seals are leaking plus PTO shaft plus I can see seapage between axle housing and rear frame case among many other things lol she has been put through the ringer but it will be a slow process I currently have the starter and exhaust manifold pulled plus valve cover there is about ten pounds of sludge on the valve train so I will most likely pull the head and do a thorough cleaning and pull the oil pan and clean the screen and any sludge I see in the bottom end I'm currently going through the motions of getting myself familiar with her it's going to be a fun long ride but well worth it I will be posting shortly about an H4 magneto question that I have already noticed on her

I am doing the axle seals right now on a M,if u have to change rims them bolts are a special bolt, but they are available!

Which bolts are you referring to so I can make a note of it for future reference are you talking about the bolts that clamp the wheel to the rim or the rim to the axle shaft

Here she is loaded up getting ready to leave Cincinnati that day went well until my buddy who was hauling his tractor on his trailer lost a duel rim bearing let loose and locked up going 70 mph on the interstate luckily he had another axle and the other duel rim on the other side

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back