helper springs

I'd like ot get some helper springs for my 1/2 ton pickup. At it's gross weight it's sitting pretty low. My concern is 90+ % of the time it's empty and I don't want to make the ride stiffer. Air bags are too expensive for a half dozen 15 mile trips a year. I've seen Hellwig springs that bolt on top of the trucks springs. Timbern rubber springs that replace the current rubber bump stops too but have read mixed results. both Hellwig and Timbern are about $200. Then I saw $30 helper springs at AutoZone. Now the AutoZone springs only fit on top 1/2 of each leaf spring. I'd like some input.

I purchased some helper springs for my truck that were adjustable cost less than $50.00. The adjustment comes from a long threaded "U" bolt where the end of leaf attaches to spring.To carry more weight-tighten the "U" down etc.Works great for me.

What brand of truck can make a difference as to what will work well. On my Chev 4X4 heavy half I have a set of shocks with over loads on them and they work well with out making the ride that ruff. I did have to use a jack between the axle and the mounts to get them in at first but they help a lot and those springs over the shocks seem to help make for a steady bunch factor as for the shock dapning

My dad had a set that came with a pickup he bought from the Iowa DOT.

Raised the rear end height and did seem to make for a little rougher ride. They are leaning against a table now and if somebody wants them I think $50 would own them in a hurry.

They seemed to be a good unit but for his purpose when he was amongst us they just weren't needed.

If you can't afford air bags but need the booster springs I don't know what you can do to make for a smoother ride.

jt

Those 30 dollar helper springs are not worth what you pay for them. If you need to haul heavy loads, take your truck to a spring shop and get the job done right. Just remember that heavier springs won't make the wheel bearings any bigger.

I have Pro Comp add-a-leaf springs that I bought off Summitt. They really helped my 08 F-150 Crew Cab I can haul a lot more and the rear does not sag, I normally only pull a trailer 3-4 times a year or get a few loads of wood all which are within 5 miles of my house. It raised the bed height 1.5 inches and the rides is no different than before. I did get the long spring kit, as the short spring kit is reported to have a little rougher ride than stock.

Check out the Super Springs, they have one that goes on top. Had a set on a F150 I had really did not make the ride any rougher but really helped out the truck will loaded or towing. Real easy to install.

I used to load trucks a little on the heavy side and virtually every truck would need new springs due to breakage during its 5 year life with me. I thought it surprising at first how little they cost. You may want to call your local spring shop and price new ones.

Why not put over load springs on? They dont make your truck ride rough because they dont go to work until a certain amount of wait is added.

I added overload springs to my 1993 F-150 and it did not seem to ride any better or worse. It does seem to help when i'm pulling my 16' lowboy trailer as there is not as much side sway with a load on the trailer. I'm not really sure it was all worth the $200 I spent getting the overloads and installed.

Find an old set of coil spring's, a scrap piece of 1/2 inch steel plate for a bottom plates & a couple of u bolt's from the junkyard. Measure from the top of your axle housing to the frame & cut the spring's 2 inches shorter & weld them to the plates. Bolt them on & there will be absolutely no affect on the ride as the spring's won't even touch untill you put on a load. With this set up you will never bottom out or damage your spring's.

Monroe makes a shock with an external spring on it. I put them on every 1/2 ton I ever owned. Amazing ride.

Gordo

I have been looking at the Hellwig's for my Colorado as well. With a good load of firewood it sits a bit lower than I would like. I would also like to be able to tow my JD LA tractor on a car trailer but I know that would be a lot of weight for the springs. They seem to be the weak point. I have used the add-a-leaf kits to gain ride height on other trucks, but it did always take a bit away from ride quality in my mind.

I haveto agree with M Man, I would fab them myself before I bought any after market made in chna or mxico junk.

but like others have suggested, maybe buying a bigger truck is what you really need or just pick up a cheap work truck to keep your 1/2 ton a 1/2 for running around, easy riding.

You can't have springs welded to anything on a licensed vehicle. Same thing goes for steering components. Dave

Hello chris Jones
The way to add capacity to your truck is to add a leaf to the pack.
You go to a spring shop and they will sell you a leaf that you can add to each of the springs in your truck, and any hardware you need to do the job. If you do not have the experties to do it, i'm sure the will do it for you. A bit of a stiffer ride and a higher rear deck, but safe for the road.
Guido.

Monroe load leveler shocks. Have to be ordered. Using right now on Fleetwood Cadillac. Raised rear about 5 inches. Don't know about capacity.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back