Hey Dick L!!

Allan in NE

Well-known Member
Would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the practice of turning off the fuel at the sediment bowl after shutdown?

Allan
 
I do on some of my tractors and always did on my pulling tractors after I loaded them. The reason was to keep the gas in the tank rather than on the trailer deck or on the ground. It didn't happen every time but every now and then the float valve seat would unseat and I would loose the gas. I turn them off over winter on 10 or 11 of them.
 
Two things I have always done.
Befor I start a tractor, I pull the dip stick and check the oil
When ever I shut off a tractor, I shut off the gas at the sediment bowl. Does not apply to later tractors with low down tanks and fuel pumps.
 
I vote for shuttin' off any gravity feed gas nay time you're not runnin'. Dick L mentioned hauling, and it makes me think that the vacuum over the top of an exhaust pipe movin' at fifty miles an hour would draw gas through an open intake valve and have ya seriously flooded by the time you get very far.

My question in that regards is whether or not to run the bowl dry. I tend not to. Strikes me gaskets and stuff tend to dry up, crack from shrinkage, etc., if left dry too long.
 
Easy to turn off if you put a ball valve in the fuel line, the quarter turn type, 1/8 or 1/4 npt brass ball valves with stainless ball are only a few dollars.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top