Hey Mich. guys

Gun guru

Well-known Member
I got my assesment and it is 2.7% lower, yes lower. I can hardly believe it, the clowns at the township say my house is still worth $290K, of course in the market here I would be lucky to get $250K.
 
Yep, in lapeer co. SEV went down 600 bucks , taxable value went up 2101?????I think I might be headn' for the township office!!!!
 
Yep, I here ya there. I went into the township 5 years ago and said, "Hey guys my home is only worth X and I have no basement" They lowered it down to the prior year assesment, which is the best you can hope for. If I was you get some comparable priced homes in your area and have some okay pictures of your house, outside only with crappy landscaping and beat up grass to make it look less then what it is worth and THEN go to the township office and say, lower my assesment. Dont go in there with an attitude and no information in your defence or they will shoot you down.
 
OK,let me 'splain this to ya. I'm chairman of Board of Review.Those SEVs are based on a two year Sales Study. This year that study was an average of sales from mid 2005 to mid 2007. So some of the sales used are two and a half years old. Your SEV should continue to drop at least through 2009 and 2010. Foreclosure sales aren't included in the average unless they excede 10% of sales in a particular area.If they were,the drop would have been more.
 
My valuation went UP $8,600, Taxable value UP $1,466. No I didn't do anything to raise propety value. seems like they can crank up evaluation at will. Our area is in a terrible economic slump. Many properties for sale, not moving. Still my evaluations keep going up - SUBSTANTIALLY. Get ready for tax increase this summer!
 
My assessed value went down but my tax value went up. I don't think that was what I voted for (was it prop A) several years ago??
 
Sooooo, Do you have compassion for the citizens by giving almost everybody a break that comes to you saying their SEV is too high.

If I was a tax assessor or on the board of review I would just undercut the property values every year because in the eyes of the township or city, Every dollar in taxes is one more dollar to waste. Government spending MUST be controlled by handing over less to the government. The waste in government at all levels is disgusting.
 
Yep, Everyone in my Township is PO'ed. How can they do this? They claim my property is worth $7,000 more than last year, what a crock. Property values have declined at least 35% in Michigan or everywhere else. I heard in Detroit and Wayne County the majority went down. So I guess we are supposed to make up the differnce for the whole state.
 
You're compairing apples and oranges here. You don't pay taxes on your State Equalized Value (SEV) and that's what was reduced. You pay on your Taxable Value and that went up 2.3%. Everybody in the state got that increase,from Detriot to Copper Harbor. That's the law under Proposal A of 1994. No,we don't cut SEVs as a general rule. They have to be near the 50% ratio set by the State Tax Commission. If we lower too many of them and throw off the ratio,the state will come in and raise them ALL. They would raise everybody to 50%. We keep them at around 49.75%. They'll allow that much. Keep in mind,one of the factors in determining State Revenue Sharing is the totals of those SEVs in a community. The higher those SEVs,the more revenue sharing that local government recieves. In a b@stardized roundabout way,higher SEVs mean lower taxes. If a community looses revenue sharing,the local millage and in turn your property taxes will have to be higher to continue to provide the same level of services.
 
Since when is the tax assessor responsible for determining government spending? Unless you've voted in every past election where there was a mill levy, you have exactly zero right to complain. And even if you did vote, you should be complaining about your fellow citizens who either voted for the levies or didn't bother to vote at all.
 
My assessment just got raised by 5% and also my agricultural exemption removed - in Presque Isle county. I in the process of trying to get it straightened out now - but I live 1000 miles away.

It's not just me either, many other local people also got the same thing done to them - in Case Township.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top