High School Reunion

Ultradog MN

My 50th this year.
I opted not to go. Click the link below to see why.
They asked everyone to send them a bio and a photo if we could.
I sent them the following:

Ruth and I have been married going on 8 years now. This is my first marriage, her third. The poor woman is widowed not once but twice.
She has kept her soul though and maintained a great attitude about life.
A saying of hers is to 'Eat, drink and remarry.'
Knowing her as I do I've decided that a man need not apologize for loving his wife.

We like to go out to dinner on the weekend. We call it date night.
Often it's just to some simple burger and beer joint. Sometimes we go to a place that reminds me of a submarine - because at any moment you expect someone to start yelling Dive! Dive!

I think all people share about 90% of their hopes and dreams, the importance of their families and friends, their work and accomplishments and their striving to make a better place of this world.
It is too bad that of late, we as a nation are so focused on the 10% (politics) that we don't share.

I still think of my AHS class mates as my peers and I believe that any and all of you are astute enough to make good, fair jurors.
On the other hand, if it were me who was charged, I suspect most of you would vote to convict.

The 17th century Dutch philosopher Baruch Spinoza once wrote, 'A man's intelligence is inversely proportional to his tolerance to noise.'
I guess that explains my wife's preference for the quietude of her house and my preference for the loud things in my garage.

I am still a Catholic.
The human experience is made up of many parts. There are physical parts, emotional parts and intellectual, cultural, historical, charitable and political parts.
And yes of course, there is a spiritual part, thus my being Catholic, which means universal.

I would say that my greatest accomplishment so far is that I have lived without a television in my home for the last 20 years and all but a few years of my adult life.
I sometimes wonder what percentage of Americans could follow and understand the Lincoln-Douglas debates without all the alphabet soup news shows to synthesize it for them and tell them what to think.

If you have never read Jane Austen's 'Pride and Prejudice' I hope you will some day.
I think it is the pleasantest little novel ever written.
If you Have read it, maybe long ago, perhaps it's time to read it again. And if you've read it a dozen times you don't need anyone to tell you that reading it once more won't hurt.

Sorry we couldn't be with you tonight.
Best wishes to each and all.
Jerry and Ruth

cvphoto98703.jpg

Click here

my 50th HS Reunion is also this year. I plan on going and have been instrumental in getting it together. I wasn't particularly close to my schoolmates while in school and moved to another town after getting married 48 years ago but I started getting some of us together once a month for breakfast at a local restarant that some of us went to 50 years ago
We generally have a pretty good showing because we all know that our class is getting smaller all the time. Since undertaking the reunion we have found lots of stats. We started high school with 240 freshmen and graduated 177. There are 53 of us no longer here and I have found that I enjoy every minute with these fine people. Our freshman class was the first fully intergrated class. None of us then knew what to think or expect. I doubt I had every seen more than 10 Black people in my life but by the time we graduated we had a black cheerleader and a black guy was voted best all around.I still call him and talk to him even though he lives 4 states away. we argue a lot because we see things so differently but I am still confident he has my back as I do his. It isn't the popularity contest that I thought it was in HS, it is just people, some great, some not so much, but still just people,

I always enjoy reading your ruminations, Ultradog.

In my humble estimation, attending the clickable link vs. the reunion is a good choice.

Great photo. :)

I really enjoyed your musings. I agree with most but do have a TV and enjoy British mysteries and some comedies. I too am Catholic and have always said that's what keeps me between the fences of life. I went to my 50th in 2014. It was bittersweet as my wife of 43 years was in a nursing home totally disabled and unable to even communicate. She passed 3 months later. Ours was one of the larger classes with 42 members and I can say I was friends with most and still keep in touch with quite a few. Unfortunately political opinions have added some tension at times. Looking forward to my 60th. Proud graduate of Moulton High School, 1964. John

My 40th will be in the next couple of years. I have no plans of going. The people that I enjoy being around I see anyways. The rest as they say time heals but I don't know what we would talk about. A fair number have not grown one bit emotionally since high school. Further, I just am not curious to see what people look like in the present unlike years gone by. What is done is done in terms of whether a woman still has her looks or not. It does not matter to me. There are some people I would not mind catching up with from my college years but I am very reluctant to just drop in out of the blue. If it is meant to be then it will happen.

Nice little story. My graduating class held the 40th a couple years back, and it was great. Really wasnt anyone that I didnt like at school, just some I knew better than others. Fun to see how people change, as the years have gone by. Early bloomers it seems, go to seed much quicker too, lol. Most of my buddies no longer have any need for a comb, and stretch waist pants have become the fashion replacing the shin tight Leiv jeans from back in school days. I was surprised at two things three things that I didnt expect, the number of divorces, , how many had retired, and the alarming number of old class mates that are dead. One guy died from cancer on the day of the reunion

My class reunion is going to be Sept. 11, 60 years ago we took our last walk thru those hallowed halls of ZHS, good times. If anyone is interested there is a video on u tube, put Zumbrota class of 1961 in search bar.

Pete

Interesting post. I went to one 'school anniversary' reunion .... not my graduating class, they've probably never had one. It was OK, nothing special, everyone there seemed to have aged a lot more than me .... ha! The TV comment in Ultradog's post leaves me scratching my head. It almost seems like a bragging point that you don't watch television. And to list it as one's greatest accomplishment? Actually, there's a lot of things my wife and I don't do, like travel for example, but I'd never think that was something to be proud of or even mention. Meanwhile, we glue ourselves to a computer screen for more than a few minutes every day, much the same thing I'd say. Once again though, an interesting post.

This year is my 45th. Never worried about attending. Not many people I care to see. The few I might have already left this world.

Wife and I graduated in '77. We skip mine and go to hers, it's alot more fun. We went to the first 3 of mine and it seemed like the cliques hadn't grown up. My wife's reunions are a blast we see alot of her class between reunions. She grew up 100 miles away.

An old classmate throws a party around reunion time and everyone attends the party More so than the reunion. Plus he is a chef and has really good food.

My 60 year one coming up here last of next month, think we had 169 in graduating class 1961 not hardly that many left now.

Mine will be 70 next year, but I doubt we'll have one.

We didn't have a 60th or 65th. I couldn't generate any interest, and truth be told 2/3 of our class is deceased.

I havent been to any of mine. Went with my wife to a couple of hers. Last time the place was to small for the crowd and the noise was unbearable. I sat at the bar and drank a few cokes.

Never again. Graduated in 1981 guess that makes it 40 years ago. Time flies.

Vito

We went to my 40th several years ago 72 out 240 showed up.We live 800 mile from where I went to school it was good to see all my classmates that came,of course there was still the group of girls now women that thought they all that and more in school and the same now. But all of them were never married because of their attitude.

Happy 50th , I would go to the thresing show over a hs reunion too. You chose wisely and your bio is well written .

Come to think f it, this would be my 50th too!

Never been to one. I guess they have them, never was invited.

They probably know what the answer would be!

To borrow a line from a Mary Gauthier song...

'I hated high school.
Prayed it would end.
The jocks and their girls it was their world.
I did not fit in!'

Next year will be my 40th. I can't imagine going--I haven't been to any of the others. Our class was large--about 600--but almost all of the ones I'd like to see again have already passed on.

Graduated in class of '56! 8 in class! 5 passed on and one we haven't heard from since graduation! One classmate that is still around is in Wichita, KS! Saw him prolly 10 years ago!

I have no idea if we have one or not. We started a new consolidated school district my freshman year, and the graduates from the town school have a reunion every other year. Two years ago they invited anyone who went to school in town to come to the party. Mom is class of 47,and I graduated in 74.

Hoofer,

LOL! That was my first though this a.m....
Don't wanna go and see all those old people. GRIN

Out of a class of 25 we may have 11 show up. 4 are dead and one is M.I.A. no one knows what ever happen to him.

On the 40th I invited a few teachers they were a hit. I see about 10 of my mates on a regular basis. I did not care for school if not for my dad taking me back from time to time and sports I would have quit. It was not my mates I got alone with all. We had the haves and have nots the haves would have been a lonely group if they paled up as the have nots were plentiful.

When asked at the 40th what do you remember about school...

My answer you were going to have to fight Spenser to earn his respect it was best to just punch him in the nose and get it over with. Only two of us were ever that brave.

The thriller in the 6th grade bathroom.

Jerry and Spenser went at it one ell of a good fight Jerry and Spenser became best buds... It was a bloody mess the janitor just happen to come in he kept his mouth shut. He was a great guy everyone liked him.

Our 50th was supposed to be last year, but the pandemic intervened. We are having a 50+1 this year (fate willing).

2022 will be my 55th...I've missed all the others so I will miss this one too..My wife went to her 35th and that was enough for her...

My wife's 50+1 is this fall in N. Minnesota. Problem is there's a 20,000 acre wildfire heading toward the resort we booked for the stay. But, with 10,000 lakes, it should be a
slam and a dunk to put that out in the 2 weeks we have left before we go.
My 50th was a couple of years ago, and most of the 7 people showed up. But then this year we had our first passing - the only other guy in a class of 7.

The 'Stay in your comfort zone' part of me understands, but at this age, I'm not up for missing anything if I don't absolutely have to. Getting out of that comfort zone has led to a lot of adventures and good times.

Our 50th is in two years. I've only missed one reunion. My best friend always insists that we go with him and his wife. I've never regretted going to one. There's the crowd that I have no desire to see, but when some of the guys who were on the fringe of being one of them, spend the night hanging out with those of us who were more 'rural' shall we say, it sure makes me feel good. One of the guys got up at the last one and chastised the ones who didn't show up. He started through a list of those who have passed on and asked 'Don't you think they'd have liked to be here now?'.

My wife wasn't in my class, but to be honest, when she gets together with the girls who were in it, you'd think it was her reunion.

Our 50th was in 2017. The last reunion we had had prior to that was our 20th, I believe. We did a 2 day event--sit down meal the first night and an informal get together the next day. We also did a book, which I was in charge of. We had a good turn out. Only 6 or 7 didn't respond or show up out of a class of 39. Two were deceased.

I did not join the class till 9th grade. I got along with pretty much everybody. I had some good friends, but was not necessarily part of any of the "in" groups.
I thought our reunion went really well and had a great time.
Since then we have tried to get together once a year for just an evening meal. Last year's was cancelled because of the health situation. This year's is scheduled to be held in about 3 weeks.
I would encourage you to consider going, even if you have to miss one day at Le Sueur. (It's going to be raining anyway! :D )
For me it just felt so good to see everybody again. There were at least a couple whom I had not seen since the night we graduated, and even though we may not have been close then, it was still nice just to touch base again.

Just my thoughts. Take them for what they're worth.

Teams of wild horses could not drag me to one of those reunions. We were not friends then, we are not friends now. I went to school with a bunch of cruel bullies. I never want to see even one of them ever again.

Of course, there is more to the story, which I would gladly explain in detail should anybody truly be interested.

Wife and my 60th( not the same school) is coming next month. Looking forward to seeing all of them, lots not alive anymore.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back