Hissing gas tank/generator question

eod4647

Good morning, two questions today.
1959 880 gas, was using the tractor to rake some hay for a couple hours or so. Finished up, parked the tractor, let it idle a bit and then shut her down. When all was quiet there was a hissing sound, appeared to be from the gas cap. Should the gas cap be vented? I've never heard(or noticed) that sound before.
The other question has to do with the generator, the belt is tight, but the dash light is on when the tractor is running. It seems like it doesn't charge the battery, but once running it supplies enough to keep it running. How do I check the generator, what should I look for?

Thanks

Use a volt meter and check the battery while it's running. Should be about 14 volts running and 12.75 without.
The hissing is coming from the modern gas from the heat coming off the engine. I run ventilated caps.

This post was edited by J.Wondergem on 09/10/2022 at 09:56 pm.

(quoted from post at 05:49:47 09/11/22) Use a volt meter and check the battery while it's running. Should be about 14 volts running and 12.75 without.
The hissing is coming from the modern gas from the heat coming off the engine. I run ventilated caps.

This post was edited by J.Wondergem on 09/10/2022 at 09:56 pm.

Re the fuel tank hiss . All fuel tanks need some form of ventilation. If none, fuel flow would be compromised as a vacuum formed above the fuel. Think about it - if a high vacuum were formed the tank would collapse! Your hiss may be as Wondergem says, or it may be that the breather is compromised to some extent.

I thought it was something along those
lines, just thought I'd ask. Not sure the
cap I have is vented. It's somewhat rusty
and the tank itself needs to be cleaned
and sealed. Thanks

I'll have check that next time I fire the
tractor up. The belt seems tight enough,
and I was to sure how to check it out.
Thanks

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back