hitch not working

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
I have an old Ford 6610s. the hitch at the back dosent work, how does it operate ? is it hydraulic? It has 2 big arms from under the seat that lifts the hitch, I repair trucks for a living but have never fixed a tractor, where can i get a schematic diagram for this tractor?
 
Yes they are hydraulic. There is a lift lever on the right hand side that raises and lowers the arms. It is mounted on an arch shaped track. There is also a flow control knob on the right hand side that controls the rate of fluid flow to the lift arms. Make sure it is turned up. There should be a dip stick on the left hand side of the rear end, just below the seat by the step plate. Check to make sure there is fluid in the rear end. One last thing is the draft control. this is a small lever on the right hand side of the rear end, below the seat. Make sure is is parallel to the ground.If it is down, then draft control is engaged and can effect how the lift arms raise and lower. If you need a maunal, this site has a link to order them in the "Marketplace" section. Repair manuals (such as the IT brand) can be purchased on-line or from places such as Tractor Supply (TSC). Hope this helps
 
I forgot to tell you that some of those series were set up to where you could shut off the lift arms so the lift control could be used for a single acting lift cylinder of equipment like a plow or disk. The shut off was a knob by the flow rate adjusting knob on the right hand side. It is either pulled out or pushed in. I don;t recall which is which, os if it has one and the lift doesn't work, try the other position.
 
Thanks for the info.I can tell you know alot about these tractors. First of all i should say that this is my first tractor & it is in a severe condition . Here are some pics to show how bad it is...Copy the link and paste in your address bar.

http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg22/uu25/?action=view&current=CIMG0954.jpg

This tractor is in Jamaica & i want to restore it but im not in full understanding how the hydraulics on the hitch work ..Is the hydraulic cylinder encased under the seat? Look at the pic with the side view, are those two pipes running down the side the hydraulic lines for the hitch? & those hose clamps on there make me think they aren't. i havent seen this tractor in over 4 years it has just been sitting in the rain (alot of rain ). I haven't got a problem fixing most other things on the tractor, it's just the hitch. Also is the spindle at the rear that is used to power attachments always supposed to spin? or can it be switched off until needed. I'm planning on stripping it down & sandblasting before priming & painting but i want to get it mechanically sound first. By the looks in the pics it seems i'll need wheel seals & bearings 4 tires with rims,starter,seat,fenders, just to mention a few, any tips as to where to get these parts or what i should do would be appreciated.
tractor pics.
 
The lift cylinder is under the seat on the bottom side of the casting the seat is attached to. The lines running to the front are for the hydraulics, but just go to an oil cooler on the front in the radiator. The black knob on the side is either the flow control or diverter knob. The diverter is what shuts off pressure to the lift arms. It pulls out to cut off the flow. It should be marked with what it is. I see a shaft stiking oput just behind it that may have been the flow control, but he knob is missing. Looks like you've got your work cut out for you. I would suggest getting an I&T repair manual and operators manual. They are available on this website under "Marketplace", just look for the 6610 series. For parts, look on te web for tarctor salvage yards. They all have wreaks that can be salvaged for many of the parts you need. Also, a lot of places sell aftermarket parts for the older Ford tractors. Not sure what is avail in Jamaica, Doesn't look like any major components need replacing. Hope this helps
 
Thanks,Thanks,Thanks, I feel relieved as i thought that it was a gearbox. Hydraulics, no problem. I will search for tractor salvage yards online. Will i need special tools to change wheel seals?,on semi"s we use these large sockets around 4 inches.By the pics i think these are different.
 
I don't think so. I haven't changed any but I know you will have to pull the axle shaft to get to them. The I&T repair manuals will let you know if you need a special tool, although all the tractors and equip I have worked on I have found workarounds for nearly every special tool (shade tree mechanic). Removing the axles will require taking the top off the rear end. Be careful pulling the top as that has the hyd lift cylinder as part of the top plate and there may be some lines that run down into the rear end that would come out with the top plate. A lot of this will depend on the year and options on the tractor.
 
I have yet to see a Ford tractor that requires the hitch cover to be removed in order to pull an axle housing. Best money the original poster can spend is on a service manual, preferably the factory manual from New Holland.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top