ho-made steering arm for my 951

souNdguy

I puttered around working on the tractors for 4 hrs this am.. chased 1 leak and then went to work ont he pretzle-bowed steering draglink.

took about an hour of torch, copper maul, chissle and 2 pipe wrenches, not to mention some colorfull language to get the tie rod ends off the bent draglink, plus get the adjusting colalr off the draglink end near the tractor. I canabilized the 2 threaded ends with squee-zum clamps from the old draglink, and the welded in a thick walled metal tube. Have about 1" in and out adjustment on each side.. so should be good to go. Had jacked up the tractor and centered the wheel, then disconencte dthe arm, and determined the middle of the steering box so I had same amount of turnes each way, and then selded the arm up with the 'adjustment' od the ends set to 'middle' so I could fudge a couple inches either way if something wasn't quite right.

turned out perfect... or at least close enough!

I'm headed out to get some dinner after I feed the chix and the pigs!

soundguy
v5218.jpg

Nice job on the draglink. I"m not familiar with the tricycle front end. Is there two draglinks or just on the one side?

Jack

Upon viewing photos of 9X1's with PS it appears that the drag link left the factory with that bow in it because the PS cylinder fits right up underneath it. Yours may have gained some extra arc over the years but it definitely was not straight from the factory.
Nice looking work too!

Well yeah, the draglink for the ps valve did have to clear the cyl and that did make it have an arc toward the end.. however this one was fiarly well bent. I jacked it up and did a side to side turn test.. it was turning sharper to the right than the left.. which is what I figured it would be doing, as the bowed arm decreased the distance.. working decent now.. and since I don;'t plan on putting PS back on it.. I should be good to go.

I never throw old tractor parts away.. so that bowed arm will now live in the barn somewhere in case there is ever a need for it. The PS valve end is shot.. but the arm itself could be straightened in a press, and have th blip of weld that is holding it to the old PS valve , ground off.. etc..

soundguy

Depends. If I get my sheetmetal soon, I'll probably start on that.. otherwise, I think I'm about ready to start priming the chassie. The machine was in working condition when I got it.. so only minor mechanical repairs were needed to get it this far.. just tune up and service items.. some nut and bolt replacemnet and that arm so far.

soundguy

I would like to operate one of these, just to know how it works.
Have you had a chance to use it to do any work yet?
What will be its main use when you get it finished?
Enjoy your latest find!
Brian

I havn't done any work with it yet, but it wil have a ford 711 1-arm trip loader on it... so it will get some loader duties.. though I won't be moving large hay bales with it like I do witht he 660 and 850 that each have 711 or 722 1-arm loaders on them.

soundguy

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back