Hole in Cylinder Wall

BrianJ

New User
Well, it seems the last snowfall was too much for the TO20. Removing the valve cover confirmed I heard a metal crack, as I found a broken valve spring and other parts laying on top of the head. I finally removed the head to find a large hole in the piston and cylinder wall. The question is... Is there anything I can do, or does the large hole in the cylinder wall mean I have to replace the engine?
 
If it has the Continental Z120 engine, it would have wet sleeves, which can be replaced without too much difficulty.
 
Sounds like you swallowed a valve. The cylinder sleeve can be replaced as can the piston but you"ll have to make sure the rod is not bent and the rod journal not damaged.
 
Sounds like you swallowed a valve. The cylinder sleeve can be replaced as can the piston but you"ll have to make sure the rod is not bent and the rod journal not damaged.
 
Here"s a picture of the damage. I suppose the rest of the parts are somewhere in the oil pan. It"s a Z120 engine. Are any special tools required to remove the cylinder sleeve? How any tricks or tips?
a8695.jpg
 
This is a good time to look at renewing the engine if the rings and/or cylinders are worn beyond specs. Get a micrometer and check the other cylinders for wear and out-of-round. It is sometimes difficult to find a single cylinder liner and piston (they come in kits of four) so if everything else is OK you"ll need to scout around for the replacement. Check the block good for cracks while you have it apart.
 
I assume you are referring to the connecting rod? Make sure it is still straight. I have not pulled the engine. Do I really need to have the engine pulled, or can all this be completed while still on the tractor?
 
Whether you have to pull the engine depends on what damage has been done. If the journal is undamaged and there"s no other problems you can probably do it with the engine in place, but it"s not that hard to remove one either and it makes life much easier.
Finding the parts will take some time if your rod is bent and as Don pointed out, finding a single sleeve is difficult and expensive.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top