holes in lifter guides

Jim in LA

The modern adjustable lifter wrenches are junk, I drilled 1/8 holes in the lifter guides and of course drilled them too high. Is there any risk of cracks occurring if I drill new holes about 3/8 in below? The proper placement would have been where the bottom of the hole would be even with the bottom of the lifter inspection cover opening. I managed to get all my valves adjusted by checking the gap, removing the valve assembly and raising the lifter enough to block it with punch, reinstalling the valve and rechecking the gap. Repeat as necessary.

(quoted from post at 16:00:19 06/06/22) The modern adjustable lifter wrenches are junk, I drilled 1/8 holes in the lifter guides and of course drilled them too high. Is there any risk of cracks occurring if I drill new holes about 3/8 in below? The proper placement would have been where the bottom of the hole would be even with the bottom of the lifter inspection cover opening. I managed to get all my valves adjusted by checking the gap, removing the valve assembly and raising the lifter enough to block it with punch, reinstalling the valve and rechecking the gap. Repeat as necessary.

What are you referring too? The holders for the tappets? Or the wrench to turn the adjuster?

I got my holders years ago and sold by Ford. For a wrench I took a grinder to a good quality open end and thinned it to fit.

I can take a picture of the wrench if that is what you need,

The Ford style wrench that locks the tappets. I bought some 30 years ago and used them when removing the valves and they worked like a charm. I of course misplaced them and could not find them and ordered new
ones and the new ones are almost right and will not work. the metal they are stamped from id different and the portion that that is supposed to grip the adjusting bolt head on the adjacent lifter does not
fit the hex head of the adjuster bolt. The manuals have illustrations showing how to cut down the open end wrench to allow turning the bolt. The hole in the lifter guide is really the way to go if you drill
them correctly.

Thanks for the link' Hobo. It never occured to me that they used the adjustable lifters in a flat head v8. I will drill hew holes. I remove the camshaft and use a magnet to pick up as many shavings as
possible. I have been working on this engine since August and it has been one interruption after another.

I destroyed a good set of tappet wrenches the adjuster gets carboned up they will destroy those wrenches. You will run across an adjustable lifter like the one on the right they are a P.I.T.A to adjust even with the holes in the block. They want to ride up on the holder pin while you turn the adjuster. If you use the wrenches make sure the adjuster will turn are you will destroy the tappet wrench : ( BTDT...

mvphoto92946.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back