Horse ride went well !!

JD Seller

The Girls and Gals had a good time today. They got back around 4 PM. That left them time to get loaded up before dark. My wife had a big pot of home made Beef and barley soup for them to eat for a quick supper before they left to go home.

I made sure I was well chaperoned around Sue. LOL She was really happy as her gelding did not act up at all on the ride. She said she had troubles riding him for almost a year now. I am willing to bet that was about when the Idiot shod him. That fool put a nail in too close to the center of the horses hoof. They have feeling in that part of the hoof. I would like to find that guy and nail a shoe on his foot and see how he liked it.

Mandy is coming back over next Saturday with some patterns to make some more shoes. I want to show her how to make weighted shoes as well. So far all she knows is regular flat shoes.

So they had fun and I had a peaceful day as well. Really did not do anything other than the morning chores. The boys did the night chores.

I guess I did go out to the shop to see what the boys where into. My youngest had a friend's Ford Diesel pickup in the shop putting a new timing cover gasket on it. It has a 7.3 engine that had a real bad front oil leak. The friend just bought it out of Texas.

Other than that I have not done much today. Kind of took it easy today.

A good many horses get nailed as we call it. Really sucks for the next guy that shods them. Typically there ruined the rest of their life after that event as far as hoof work is concerned. My wife"s horse is one of those horses. We have to use a goom chain on her to even touch her feet. We bought her at an auction excellent tenn walker that"s gaited. Come to find out the guy that sold her is a farrier south of here and well known for nailing them had we known all this we prolly woulda passed on her but by the time we figured it all out the wife was in love with her so I"m stuck fighting a miserable horse about every 6 weeks. She is an excellent rider could use some more ground manners but all in all a decent horse.

Hey, JD. Sounds like you and me hail from about the same area. Maybe we can hook up some time since it seems like we got similar intrests....'cept my tractors are the "other" green.
Larry NEIL

This question isn't coming from a horseperson (which will be obvious).

How do you make shoes out of flat stock and nail it on? Do you have to drill holes in them or??? Any pictures of these fancy homemade shoes?

Thanks.

I prefer not to use shoes at all unless there is a significant need for them. I think most people are under the impression a horse has to be shod. Not so. A road horse, a woods horse in icy conditions, yes. The average pasture ornament needs shoes like I need more taxes.

Glad the ride went well JD. I'm a horsey kind of guy myself but mine are drafts mostly. I'm beginning to understand those old lines about "the outside of a horse being good for the inside of a man" and "The more people I meet, the more I like my horse" more and more!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back