how do i.....

sgtbull

How do i correctly test a charging system on a Briggs 16 hp v-twin Vanguard engine? Would a multimeter hooked to the red output lead from the side of the engine on the "DC" setting give the correct reading? (I set it on the 30 volt setting as the next level down was below 12 volts..) I tried that, connecting the positive lead to the red lead and grounding the other to the motor....with no reading of any sort. Did I do something wrong, or have I just learned that the system doesn't work?

Did ou have the engine running at full trottle when you tried to take the voltage reading? You can also, without running the engine use the ohm meter section to check the stator. Connecting the ohm meter lead one way should show a high resistance. Reverse the connection should show a low but not zero reading.

Kent

Many of the big chain stores carry a nice consumer B&S CD repair manual that covers testing and much more. If you're doing it for a living though get the commercial version of the CD repair manuals from B&S or a dealer.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back