How do you get on??

wilamayb

I had some time on my hands which led to looking for junk that I dont need on ebay.

I'm too young to remember the days of mounted pickers and was intrigued by the immaculate condition of this unit.

The fact I pondered most was "how in the heck do you even get to the operators station?" It looks like you would need an overhead ganty to be let down into the operators station.
Neat little unit on ebay

My great-grandfather owned one on a 630. Look closely on the left and right sides in front of the rear tire. He placed one foot in the pocket, grabbed the lightbar and support bar, climbed up over the feeder, then stepped back onto the tractor platform.

No doubt a hard thing to do as one ages.

I spent a lot of time on a 227 mounted on a 60, and a 237 mounted on a 720,,It made yor butt drag at the end of the day when you had to hook yourself to the wagons, I had a rope down to the hitch pin to un-hook,,but had to get off each time to hook back up..The good old days :^)

Once you got there, you were not in a real safe zone. Folks years ago often used to wear wore out cloths, so the material would tear off easy. If the man did not like that idea, it was over ruled by most wives.

Jumping on and off was easy it seemed, but alot of things seemed easy in those days. Birthdays and fat are factors that seem to make it harder.

When you looked across to the neighbors with a one row pull type, it made it some what easy to get on the two row.

Dust and dirt were sometimes real bad, but no one had any idea how simple it could be using a combine like now days.

Ours was a #226 picker mounted on our '52 "B"

Used it until 1970 and sold it to a cousin who used it more years on his "B"..!

My usual "end of day job" was to crawl under and dig the mud out of the front wheels and roll-a-matic before it FROZE..!! Always a nice job..frozen fingers guaranteed..!!

Ron.

We had a 227 mounted on a B for a number of years, then on a 730 gas. There was one step on each side of the elevator on the very back of the picker. They were mounted on the collection hopper. There was also a hand hold on the back of the discharge from each snapping roll unit. Like everyone has said, most farmers were slimmer and just put 1 foot on the step, 1 hand on the hand hold, another hand on the support rod for the elevator and kind of gave a jump up and climbed over the elevator, usually stepping on the seat and down on to the platform.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back