How does she look?

Poonie

I watch this guy from New Zealand on YouTube, who finds and gets old tractors running again. He used this trick where he sprayed a 60/40 diesel/oil mix on his tractors to protect them from rust. Thought Id give it a try myself. I must say the old dog does look nice and shiny. It's gonna stink up my garage though for sure. Oh well small price to pay if it preserves it for some years to come. I rather like the used/worn look so this is as close to a paint job as its going to get so long as I own it. Just thought I'd share.

Attachments

• 20240423_184938.jpg
    20240423_184938.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 83
I watch this guy from New Zealand on YouTube, who finds and gets old tractors running again. He used this trick where he sprayed a 60/40 diesel/oil mix on his tractors to protect them from rust. Thought Id give it a try myself. I must say the old dog does look nice and shiny. It's gonna stink up my garage though for sure. Oh well small price to pay if it preserves it for some years to come. I rather like the used/worn look so this is as close to a paint job as its going to get so long as I own it. Just thought I'd share.
It looks good ! Another option is Grandpa Love's boiled linseed oil treatment. We used it recently on 2 different tractors with good results.

Linseed oil lasts longer and does not stink as much as diesel. Clear topcoat auto spray is better for that barn fresh look. (but after the oil is removed. It does improve the looks. Jim

I used linseed oil on a couple muzzleloader gun stocks I built. I'm not a fan of it. It takes forever to dry, and will attract and hold dust until it dries, then you've got dried linseed oil with dust in it, which then would need to be sanded down with a scotchbrite pad to get rid of the dust. No thanks. Im going to stick with the method I used. IMO, the diesel/oil mix will do a better job of protecting against rust than linseed oil will, and is easy to reapply on occasion with the air sprayer.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back