How to disassemble steering column (JD 4050)

Arven

New User
So we're taking apart the steering column on our new-to-us 4050. Here's the JD Parts page for reference. The lock on the telescoping column is frozen: the column will extend, but that stud with the flat sides (that the center knob attaches to) is rusted stuck so you can't extend the column and lock it in place. We've never had one of these apart before. We've got the column and metering pump out of the tractor, and the column off the metering pump. Now we're trying to get the guts of the column (on the JD parts page, numbers 4, 5, 12 etc) out of the tube (3), but we can't figure out how to get it apart. We also didn't want to try too hard and break something we don't need to replace. Is there something we're missing, or is everything just rusted stuck?

Hello Arven, welcome to YT! I can’t help you, but I will confirm that a rusted and stuck telescoping column can be a real chore to get apart. Hopefully, someone will come along with more direct info. Just wanted to let you know someone is seeing and reading your post!

Hi, thanks, I appreciate it. We actually got the column apart this morning. We tried last night, didn't have any luck, and we were afraid we were missing something. This morning we tried again and it came apart with a few gentle taps and pulling on it by hand. Of course everything inside is a mess, but it looks like we can clean and re use most of the parts.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back