how to remove camshaft gear on a Ford 172 motor..having trouble?

marlin54

So I have a ford 172 motor and the cam follower is not hardly moving so I think maybe cam lobe is woer down ? Ibiught it like that,,,no compression ..it wont move enough like the others on # 2 cylinder ....just moves very little...I have the timing chain cover off and the maks were lined up correctly..now I am trying to remove the cam gear after I got the snap ring off...I dont want to pry too much but it wont come off. Anyone know the best way ? looks like gear and shaft is keyed..I did not remove the crankshaft gear as I am hoping I dont have too.....
20240212_175115 (2).jpg

So I have a ford 172 motor and the cam follower is not hardly moving so I think maybe cam lobe is woer down ? Ibiught it like that,,,no compression ..it wont move enough like the others on # 2 cylinder ....just moves very little...I have the timing chain cover off and the maks were lined up correctly..now I am trying to remove the cam gear after I got the snap ring off...I dont want to pry too much but it wont come off. Anyone know the best way ? looks like gear and shaft is keyed..I did not remove the crankshaft gear as I am hoping I dont have too.....View attachment 5514
Typically, you can access the camshaft retainer plate bolts though the holes in the timing gear and remove them, then withdraw the camshaft with the fear still on it, then press the gear off of the camshaft.

If that's not possible on this particular engine you will need to pull it off with a gear puller.

Last edited:
As Dieseltech says, remove the gear/camshaft assembly by removing the bolts holding the retainer. Access the bolts through the holes in the cam gear. You will also need to remove the the hydraulic pump drive gear at the rear of the camshaft. Make sure the lifters have dropped away from the shaft also. Then press the gear off in a shop press. Using a puller on the outer edge of the gear can cause breakage of the gear and/or gear teeth.

I see your flywheel is still on.....there is a plate behind flywheel that you need to remove, exposing the gear (on back of camshaft) that runs the hydraulic pump. There are bolts that attach the gear to the back of the camshaft. Once the gear is disassembled from the rear, remove the 2 bolts behind the front cam gear, and it should slide right out.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back