How to replace fan belt with front crankshaft driven pump ?

J L G

New User
Hi, I know this has been discussed before, but how do you remove the 3 bolts with rubber bushings with sleeves that hold the adapter plate to the pulley ?
I cannot get a socket on the bolt head because of the rubber bushing around it.
If I do get the bolts off, will the plate slide forward with the shaft enough to fit a new belt through ?
Thanks

MF204-01.jpg

MF204-02.jpg

MF204-03.jpg

MF204-04.jpg

MF204-05.jpg

Hi, I know this has been discussed before, but how do you remove the 3 bolts with rubber bushings with sleeves that hold the adapter plate to the pulley ?
If I do get the bolts off, will the plate slide forward with the shaft enough to fit a new belt through ?
Thanks

View attachment 1896
View attachment 1898
View attachment 1899
View attachment 1900
View attachment 1901
You will need a THIN WALL socket to get those bolts out. If I recall as an OLD MF mechanic then the shaft SHOULD slide forward enough to replace the belt.

Thanks

View attachment 1896
View attachment 1898
View attachment 1899
View attachment 1900
View attachment 1901
Six-point thin wall socket will be best. Some sockets have a chamfered leading edge before reaching the hex, to guide the socket on to the fastener. You may need to grind the end of the socket flat, so the hex is right at the end. There may be some give in the bushings, you may be able to force/hold the plate towards the pulley to get more exposure on the cap screw heads. It looks like the bushings should be changed soon.

Get a length of segmented belt from Mcmaster. It will outlast a vbelt. Been using them for years
I have a 14" Rigid band saw that when I bought it new, it had a pretty good vibratiion when running. I took the belt off and replaced it with a segmented belt and the saw ran very smooth. It's not a tractor but it's a testament to segmented belts. Hard to believe that those bumpy looking belts can run so smooth.

OK, thanks for all your suggestions, I tried a socket with a thinner wall but it still wont go over the bolt head with the rubber there, seems I would have to dig the rubber out or burn it out, but I don't know where to get new bushings to put back in.
Yes using a segmented belt would be the easiest fix.

Ok, I was able to get a socket on one of the bolts and wrench on the other ones, and was able to crack them loose ! Unbolted the front hydraulic pump from its mounts and slide it with the shaft forward enough to slip a new fan belt onto the pulley. But in the process broke a piece of the pulley prying on it, so now need a new one.
Anyone know the part number for this ? It is off a MF 2200

Attachments

• PulleyFront.jpg
    PulleyFront.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 17
  • PulleySide.jpg
    PulleySide.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 18
I wasn't going to go through all that crap on my MF202. I had a belt going bad and yesterday I replaced it with a linked belt. I guess I'll find out how long it lasts. This is the belt I purchased. I read through the reviews and lots of people replaced the belts on their tractors and back hoes. It was a pretty heavily made belt. It wanted to roll up the wrong way. I forced it to roll the other way and let it sit a couple days but when I released it, it still wanted to roll the other way. It was a little hard to get on and didn't have much room to connect the two ends but finally got it done.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A9ZNDJQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back