How to Start Kohler AQS engine from Cub Cadet on Bench??

RTR

How would I start this Kohler K-321 AQS engine that I pulled out of a Cub Cadet 1450 quietline parts tractor? I have ghenengine on the engine on the bench and want to test it. I filed the points and checked the wiring diagram and found the coil gets battery power from the switch and since it's out of the tractor I just used a jumper wire from coil (+) to battery (+). I then put a large jumper cable on a bolt on the engine head and the other end to the (-) battery post. Went around to move points to see if I had spark and it sparked and the "spring" part of the points that allow them to move caught fire and warped. The little harness plug that you see goes to regulator piece.......2 outer wires went to the stator on the engine so I left those unplugged since it has been removed. The middle wire on the regulator piece goes to negative side of coil.

Here are a couple of pictures so you can see what is going on. thenengine came out of a parts tractor and after pulling the oil pan it looks really good, so I want to see how well it will run. I thought it was stuck but it was just the PTO clutch that was stuck.
mvphoto29457.jpg

mvphoto29458.jpg

mvphoto29459.jpg

mvphoto29460.jpg

IGNORE the voltage regulator and it's plug, NOT needed to get the engine to run, and IRRELEVANT here.

You did right by connecting battery voltage to coil (+) and ASSUMING wire from points is connected to coil (-) the primary resistance of coil should have limited the current to the points to a few Amps, preventing your mucking around with the points from overheating and damaging the breaker point spring, yet, this happened.

Either your coil primary us dead-shorted or you inadvertently fed full battery voltage/current to the points without including the coil primary in the circuit.

Ok. I should have checked the 2 wires at the coil with a Continuity tester to make sure which was points wire. That coil was used on a running engine 2 weeks ago and ran it fine. Hmmmm

I don't see anything holding down the engine. It needs either lag bolts into the wood, or at least 3 clamps to make sure it stays where you want it to be. If it
has compression it will run. Putting it in the frame is probably best. You will figure out the ignition. You could have allowed starter current to get to the
connection to the points! Jim

(quoted from post at 07:37:25 01/10/19) I don't see anything holding down the engine. It needs either lag bolts into the wood, or at least 3 clamps to make sure it stays where you want it to be. If it
has compression it will run. Putting it in the frame is probably best. You will figure out the ignition. You could have allowed starter current to get to the

The motor is hanging from a chain fall and resting on the aluminum work table. The frame isn't in the shop to bolt it into. I hadn't hooked up the positive battery cable that goes to starter.

(quoted from post at 09:21:45 01/10/19)
(quoted from post at 07:37:25 01/10/19) I don't see anything holding down the engine. It needs either lag bolts into the wood, or at least 3 clamps to make sure it stays where you want it to be. If it

The motor is hanging from a chain fall and resting on the aluminum work table. The frame isn't in the shop to bolt it into. I hadn't hooked up the positive battery cable that goes to starter.

I've got to make sure it is grounded well. I will be able to work on it come saturday morning. Fingers crossed.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back