Howard gear box worth what?

Bruce(OR)

Tomorrow or the day after times two or three at the most I am picking up a partially disassembled "52 8N. This particular machine has the Howard gear reduction option and is the same as is found in the 9N,2N,8N,TO-20,TO-30.
As this machine had the engine taken apart 7 years ago and the crank and cylinder walls are lightlt pitted, I am strongly considering parting it out.
So the question is "What is a Howard worth?".

(quoted from post at 13:13:29 09/04/09) Tomorrow or the day after times two or three at the most I am picking up a partially disassembled "52 8N. This particular machine has the Howard gear reduction option and is the same as is found in the 9N,2N,8N,TO-20,TO-30.
As this machine had the engine taken apart 7 years ago and the crank and cylinder walls are lightlt pitted, I am strongly considering parting it out.
So the question is "What is a Howard worth?".

as i understand it the howard is the only option to run a rotavator on a fergie because it doesn't affect pto speed.

so to someone with a rotavator it must be worth something.

....the howard is the only option to run a rotavator on a fergie because it doesn't affect pto speed.

Not so. They all reduce forward speed, whilst retaining normal PTO working RPM.

The Howard reduction transmission was originally designed and built in Australia as a low cost option (to the Ferguson Edicyclic Reduction Transmission) when using a Howard Rotavator (rotary hoe). Parts have been unavilable for many years.

The Howard slows the tractor forward speed while maintaining a higher PTO speed. If you try to use the Howard to pull stumps you will break it.
If all you are doing is using it to till with then there is no problem with it.

(quoted from post at 08:06:21 09/05/09)
....the howard is the only option to run a rotavator on a fergie because it doesn't affect pto speed.

Not so. They all reduce forward speed, whilst retaining normal PTO working RPM.

what do you mean by "they all"? as far as i know, the howard is the only one installed behind the transmission so that is does not affect pto. the sherman and others all go in front of the tranny so they reduce pto by the same ratio.

"....what do you mean by "they all"? as far as i know, the howard is the only one installed behind the transmission so that is does not affect pto."

The only reduction transmission found in Australia is the Australian (and later British) built Howard and the factory genuine Ferguson Epicyclic.

Both those reduction transmissions install behind the gear box and reduce tractor forward speed whilst maintaining PTO speed - i.e. suitable for use with PTO driven implements such as the Howard rotavator etc.

Being in Australia, I've never seen a Sherman or a Hupp and assumed they also functioned in the same way as the Howard and Ferguson. It is obvious now that as pre transmission reductions, they both reduce forward speed and PTO speed.

I assume pre transmission reductions are used, for example, when a slow ploughing speed is required in heavy soils?

Learn something new every day! :lol:

I have an original style Hupp and a Sherman combo trans. Both of those reduce ground and PTO speed.
The Howard maintains PTO speed while slowing the tractor speed. The early version Hupp has problems with the stationary gears inside it breaking. This was updated with new style gears and the output shaft was splined on 4 sides to match the newer gears.
The Sherman had these uodated parts in thier design and thusly was a bit stronger than the first design Hupp.
As the Howard keeps the PTO speed at a higher RPM and is beneficial for a tiller/Rotavator operation
The question still remains a constant.
"What do you believe it's monetary value to be?"

There was a Howard to suit a TEA20 on EBay Australia around a year ago. The seller confirmed one gear was damaged "but repairable". New parts are not available although an engineering shop here suggested a gear may [u:836524a389]perhaps[/u:836524a389] be rebuilt and machined for Aus$100 to Aus$200 (US$80 to US$160).

It did not get a lot of interest and sold around Aus$100 (US$85) or so. I followed the auction at the time but after discussing with John (UK) did not bid.

Conversely, the Ferguson Epicyclic reduction sells in Australia for Aus$1,500 (US$1,200) upwards, any condition - if they can be found.

I guess the price you get will largely be a factor of the Howard's condition and buyer demand?

I recently found out the price to manufacture a gear for a Hupp. I was fortunate enough to find someone to sell an old one to me quite inexpensively. The Howard, I have been told is in a bit of a demand on the east coast. I looked on the Aus. E-bay site and currently find no Howards.
Your original response seemed to indicate a surplus of working units down under. If the last one advertised a year ago was broken, then perhaps most of these items are still on working tractors and desirable when used in the proper fashion.

Bruce. I would not think there is a surplus of Howards in Australia. They were first manufactured here before manufacture in the UK, but I think working, serviceable Howard units may be fairly rare in Australia.

I checked previously, there are none listed on EBay Australia, UK or the USA. Last one I saw would be at least a year ago.

Contact the [b:43fbd09ee0]Harry Ferguson Tractor Club of Australia[/b:43fbd09ee0] as they may be able to help on prices and unit availability.

Thanks for the reply! I believe I might put one up for bid on E-bay with a minimum. I believe this is the 4th machine I have owned with a Howard. This one has problems with the engine disassembled 7 years ago and not properly protected on the bare metal surfaces.
I might repair it or not.

I believe I sold THAT Howard for roughly $1050. the last one on fleabay sold for, I believe, $1502.
Your next best bet, looking at old iron, would be to pick up the Ferguson TO-35 with the two range gear box that will run a tiller.
Those typically sell around $1800/2300 from what I have seen lately.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back