Need advice 2N purchase

Hello everyone,
Ive been lurking on these forums for awhile LOL. Have learned quite a bit here. Thank you all for that.

I do want to start this post by saying I have never owned a tractor. Until a few weeks ago I had never thought about owning a tractor and knew relatively about them. I do have nearly one million miles driving a semi, which simply means I have experience with large machines, clutches, engines etc. Not implying I can fix them but perhaps I understand more about machines than would be average.

My husband and I have a piece of property that has recently (2 months ago) been dozed but not graded. There is currently a driveway (roughly 300 ft long) into a clearing of about 1/4 acre. The property is in total 30 acres - but only the above mentioned is cleared so far.

The contractor could not give us another day for grading or any other work on the property. We contacted several other companies both large and one-man-shops and while 3 appointments were made - no one showed up - and further didnt return calls or texts after not showing up.

At the end of the day we came to realize that in our little neck-of-the-woods, it appears we need to do more than previously thought as in do more of our own DirtWork than we planned. Hence, we decided that getting a tractor made sense. Since new really isnt an option at this time with so many other considerations - and since we were advised by a homesteading friend to look for something in the 8N, 9N or 2N world or Massy Ferguson To30 or MF35, we began our quest.

Over the last few weeks I have been researching these tractors, reading boards like this one and overall learning about the 30s-60s era tractors: Ford, Massey Ferguson and even some old European brands like Long and a few others.

We have gone to see many tractors in southern Illinois, Missouri and even one in Tennessee. Most all have been sorely disappointing and not what we were told by the owners. Prices in this area range from $1,500 - $4,500 for these old tractors so its a broad range. In our experience so far, the price difference doesnt necessarily indicate a better tractor in better shape. Its just someone wanting to get more out of it with a paint job perhaps but little else.

Which brings me to the latest tractor find this week the one I need to get feedback on if you feel inspired to do so.

I found an ad on CraigsList for a 2N Ford tractor over a week ago with every implement we know were going to need.

Heres the list:

(2) 5 bush hogs (though one will do)
(1) King Cutter box blade w/ teeth in very good shape
(1) 6 blade (slight dent in it but doesnt hinder its use)
(1) dirt bucket
(1) boom pole

The tractor isnt pretty by most folks standards - but I think its old patina is wonderful - it has not been painted (thankfully). We were told its a 1942, though I havent yet double-checked the serial on it as I forgot to grab a picture of it when there.

When we went to look day before yesterday heres what we found

WHEELS:
The wheels are not rusted through or rusted badly in any area. There might be a touch of surface rust here and there but nothing major. The valve stems are not rusted at all (which is the first weve seen in this good of shape so far). Nothing bent on the wheels.

BACK TIRES:
The tires on the back are AG tires and have life left in them. No bald spots, bad cuts or excessive wear. They are worn but not excessively and likely have at least 50-60% life left?

FRONT TIRES:
The front tires are a not the skinny ribbed tires but a wider, flatter tire with decent tread but not an AG tire exactly - more like an off-road truck tire.

STEERING PARTS:
The steering arms are in good shape, knuckles appear to be greased well, steering is straight (unlike the last one that turned hard to the right the moment you released the clutch).

METAL:
The metal is straight with no rusting at those usual spots just below the radiator fill. Overall good and straight and in decent shape. Appears to have never been painted over since new so its a wonderful soft shade of pink LOL.

SEAT:
Good spring seat (I like the saddle type seat). Seat is comfortable, the spring works well. Seat was red when knew and is now quite faded but not rusted out.

HEADLIGHTS/LIGHTS:
It has no headlights or lights of any kind at the moment.

MAIN BODY:
The main body of the tractor is NOT covered in oil, has not been painted or power washed to hide oil leaks. Seals are not leaking where the engine meets transmission and the engine isnt black with years of oil and gas leaking.

HYDRAULICS:
The hydraulics is a different story. We were told in advance it does leak hydraulic fluid some from just under the seat around the upper seal - and this did turn out to be the case. We were told it has been like this for the 8 years he has had it and he has cut and graded a driveway and done many jobs with the tractor in that time. He thinks it is the upper seal as there is no leaking from the inspection cover on the side of the tractor. NOTE: we were told the arms will lift and up all the way and down all the way but if you want it to hold anywhere inbetween you have to hold the lever - and this is true. The arm will shake at the top with the boom pole but eventually settle down and the boom pole stays in the lifted position. To get any kind of position control you have to hold the lever or it will go all the way down. The lifting happens quickly. Seconds.

When I drove the tractor it had a set of 300 lb homemade forks on the back lifted up and there was no bleed off. While driving the tractor the forks were in the air and didnt move at all.

Sometimes, when you pull the lever up for lifting it hesitates. You have to push it back down below the stop, release the clutch in neutral and lift it a second time. When it does come up it comes up quickly. But Im also unfamiliar with the 2N and am new to operating a PTO altogether so bear that in mind. It isnt second nature yet.

BRAKES:
The brakes - like most mechanicals (for me) sometimes require standing up to get their full power - like when I stopped on a slight hill and the tractor wanted to roll backwards. They need a lot of pressure to fully stop and hold.

We did put a deposit on the whole kit - tractor and implements - as this is the only way he intends to sell. We gave him $1,000 of the $3,000 asking price day before yesterday.

TRANSMISSION/OIL:
The transmission fluid is not grey or have the appearance of having water in it but there is a strong smell of gas in the oil when we pulled the dipstick to check it. Otherwise oil looks like it should.

TODAY
Today, we went to load up the implements and tractor and take it to our property a 300 mile trip.

When we started to move the first brush hog - to pull it out and set it up for hook-up, using the boom pole, the tractor could not lift or drag it. I expected the front end to get light and it did. Wheels didnt lift entirely off the ground - but it could not lift the brush hog at all. The pole did tug but couldnt actually lift the implement.

We switched to the 6 blade to see if it could lift that - it did.

THE BIGGER PROBLEM

When we drove the tractor for the first time, it drove great for me. When my husband got on to drive it, it died about 5 minutes in. The battery had to be jumped to get it back to its parking spot. We were told it might need a new battery.

Upon returning today - after placing the deposit - we went and pulled the battery, took it for a load test which it passed with flying colors. We thought the alternator wasnt charging the battery but my husband checked that today with a volt meter and it is putting out enough volts for charging.

The tractor keeps dying

Its hard to pinpoint exactly what causes the tractor to die but die it did several times today. When I moved the lever to lift the blade up the tractor would die. Wed get it started again. Then letting out the clutch would cause it to die. Wed get it started again - this time by jumping it - and it would die if I pushed the throttle down one click.

It does have a resistor, which we switched out with a new one.

Came to the conclusion it was the either throttle adjustment or the carburetor. Ended up pulling the carb (with the owners permission) to bring it back for a rebuild as I have a rebuild kit. However, we dont have the little screw drivers needed to do the rebuild. Thought we could find a screw-starting tool easily but none of the stores we checked have them.

So weve put a deposit on the tractor. We need the tractor to load/unload the implements but cant keep it running long enough to do that and it to boot -it doesnt seem to have the lifting strength for the job. Lifting is something we will be doing a lot as there are piles of logs and brush pushed over by the dozer that have to be pulled out and bucked - and thats just to start. Well be building with round wood and need to skid logs out of the forest for that this tractor will be doing a lot of lifting. It does seem to have the muscle for pulling but not lifting.

This tractor is in the best OVERALL shape of the many weve seen.

Is this tractor - with this compliment of attachments - worth fixing? Oh it does have a hi/lo lever on the left side of the engine.

Should we just let this go? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Andi
If you want an old Ford . Look for a 660 , 661 or later .

I love my 8N51 and recently I purchased a 57-960-5. My 8N is a working tractor and the 960 will be too but the main reason I have and enjoy these tractors is that I have the time and I like to tinker. To keep these tractors running and reliable they require quite a bit of TLC. For me, spending time and money on these old tractors is way more rewarding than playing golf or doing some other such hobby. Ultradog and PloughNman give good advice for which ever direction you choose.

I would get to know that mechanic you found GOOD and have him keep a lookout for a upgrade. I have a AAA+ customer that maintains 100 acres with a 2N, that N is gonna kill him are break him no doubt. He has spent enoufh on it to have a nicer tractor several times over, it has sentimental value so he throws money at it like a drunken sailor. His N is in tip top condition he runs it hard and puts it up wet. If he lives long enoufh are his health holds out he is headed for a major overhaul of the engine. Folks are gonna tell you they did not have good brakes new but they are flat wrong about that. The hydraulics have there limits/downfall as you have found out. If you have living a long health life in you mind get skidding logs with a 2N out of yer head.

All in said and done you can accomplish quite a bit of work out of a N. It would be nice if Medicare would cover it : )

I would get to know that mechanic you found GOOD and have him keep a lookout for a upgrade. I have a AAA+ customer that maintains 100 acres with a 2N, that N is gonna kill him are break him no doubt. He has spent enoufh on it to have a nicer tractor several times over, it has sentimental value so he throws money at it like a drunken sailor. His N is in tip top condition he runs it hard and puts it up wet. If he lives long enoufh are his health holds out he is headed for a major overhaul of the engine. Folks are gonna tell you they did not have good brakes new but they are flat wrong about that. The hydraulics have there limits/downfall as you have found out. If you have living a long health life in you mind get skidding logs with a 2N out of yer head.

All in said and done you can accomplish quite a bit of work out of a N. It would be nice if Medicare would cover it : )

A man's got know his tractor's limitations. ;)

(Woman in this case, from the OP: "My husband and I".)

Hello everyone,

THE BIGGER PROBLEM

When we drove the tractor for the first time, it drove great for me. When my husband got on to drive it, it died about 5 minutes in. The battery had to be jumped to get it back to its parking spot. We were told it might need a new battery.

Andi
I am not an expert. I do a good job of copying things from the net and pasting them. This is such a thing that I found somewhere on the 'myfordtractors' website under carburetor adjustments (don't, check everything else first).

It may be good advice, but I have not had the misfortune of testing most of these situations. So far most of my starting problems have been due to bad or loose electrical connections, frayed wires, and sub zero weather. I did have a loose nut on a starter terminal that would do the run for 5 minutes, then look like a bad battery trick. It just didn't like to stay tight. I think the previous owner did something like a coarse thread nut on a fine thread screw or vice versa. The really simple things can be very frustrating.
After cranking the engine, carefully check for excessive temperature at the connections of your battery cables. Your cables may be too small and your connections may be less than perfect. Remember, 6 volt systems draw more amperage. All wiring and connections should be as close to perfect as you can get 'em. Is the battery dead? Check it with a voltmeter. Now, a reading of 3 volts for a 6 volt battery is NOT 50% charged! Batteries don't work that way. A 50% charge on a 6 volt battery is 6 volts, and fully-charged is about 6.3 volts. At anything less than 5.5 volts your battery is considered dead-flat and may be too far gone to even accept a charge! For a 12 volt system, 100% is 12.6 volts, 50% is 12.0 volts and dead flat is 10.5 volts!

The battery might be too weak to crank, and fire the engine. Cranking significantly reduces the power available to make good sparks. It is possible to jump-start a 6-volt tractor using a 12 volt battery. Instructions for that are HERE

Engine turns over but won't start, you smell gas. Did you forget to turn the ignition on? The start pushbutton simply grounds the terminal from the solenoid, so these engines will crank with the ignition turned off. I have occasionally put the key in, turned on the gas, climbed on, put it in neutral, stepped on the clutch, grabbed the choke, hit the start button, and proceeded to flood the engine. For some reason actually TURNING the ignition key ON is not in that sequence. I don't know why, but it has happened enough times that I put it here. If nothing else, you can have a good laugh at my expense.

Won't Start, getting gas & spark - You have spark and gas is getting to the carb, but the tractor won't start. If the tractor has been sitting for some time, it is likely that your gas has gone bad or has water in it. Drain and replace the gas with new. There is a drain plug on the bottom of the carb that will let you drain the entire system and fuel tank into a can. Stick a fresh set of Autolite 437 plugs in it also. If you keep your fuel tank more than half full you should have less problems with bad gas.

Won't Start, water in distributor cap - If you have trouble with your tractor during high-moisture times like, after a good rain, snow, or after power-washing it, check inside the distributor cap for moisture. Dry it all out inside (maybe put a fresh set of points in it) and you should be on your way again. This seems to happen more with the front-distributor engines. Replacing the gaskets on the coil and distributor cap should make the distributor assembly more waterproof.

Won't start, weak or no spark - run a jumper across the ignition switch terminals and try it. If it starts, replace your ignition switch. Don't leave the ignition switch jumpered for long periods with engine off or you could fry the points and the coil. If it wasn't the ignition switch, check for voltage at the small wire on the coil. On a side mount, look very closely at the wire coming from the coil to the distributor. This wire often gets damaged where it passes through the distributor housing. This will cause an intermittent failure that can be very hard to find because almost anything you touch could seem to make it run better for a moment or two. On a front mount, this same problem is often caused by grounded points where the capacitor connects or the coil spring connector on the bottom of the coil is not making good contact with the points (just stretch the springy thingy a little). The front-mount square-can coil is also not a very durable part and some of the replacements seem to fail right out of the box. So, even if you just replaced the coil, you might want to try a different one.

Won't Start, Flooded - Most of these engines require very little choke and are VERY easy to flood. My 8N is very forgiving. Even if I have flooded it, all I have to do is shove the choke lever back in and it starts with a big cloud of black smoke, cough, choke, gasp. Some engines just won't start until you put in a fresh set of plugs. Use Autolite 437 plugs. They run a little hotter and stay cleaner.

STARTS BUT YOU HAVE OTHER PROBLEMS

If your tractor starts, but you still have problems, here are the most common symptoms and solutions.

Runs for about 1-minute and quits; restarts in about 5-minutes = BAD CONDENSER, replace it.

Runs for about 3-minutes and quits; will not restart = GAS TURNED OFF (go ahead and laugh, I've done it, more than once).

Runs for about 5-minutes and quits; restarts in about 10-minutes = CLOGGED FUEL SCREEN. Fuel trickles but won't flow.

Runs for about 15-minutes and quits; restarts after about 30-minutes cooldown = BAD IGNITION SWITCH, jumper across switch to test, and if problem goes away, replace ignition switch.

Runs for about 30-minutes and quits or starts running rough; after 1-hour cool down restarts and runs fine = BAD IGNITION COIL, replace it.

Here is a laundry list of other things to check before you start adjusting the carb:

Tractor is flooded, gas leaking out of carb. Float valve in carb may be stuck (whack side of carb with a wooden hammer or screwdriver handle). Leaking or cracked manifold, Broken wires from distributor to engine, Incorrect firing order (should be 1243 front to back), Grounded or loose points.

OK, FINALLY! Here is the carb adjustment procedure you came here to get!

It's sounds like a good deal with all the implements but it's still a 2N. Of all the "N" tractors, I wouldn't buy anything lower than the 8N. I picked up my first tractor over 20 years ago. It was an 8N with a front end loader on it. It came with a 5 foot Woods mower and a roll over back blade. I paid $4000 for it, mainly because it was in my neighborhood and all I had to do was drive it home. It was a good running tractor and still is.

About 8 years ago I purchased an MF202, again right in my neighborhood. This is the industrial version of the MF35 you mentioned early in this thread. This tractor will run circles around the 8N. It has a front end loader and the front axle is actually built to handle it. It also has something I wouldn't be without now...Power Steering! It also has 40 HP. compared to the 8N which has 26 HP. The good part is that I only paid $2000. for it. The three point lift was screwed up. When the tractor started, the lift would just rise to the top. When I got it home, I removed the right side inspection plate on the rear and and found the linkage to be bound up. A little gentle prying and it worked fine and still is working fine. I never told the seller about that. I didn't want him to start crying. The 8N doesn't get used much anymore but I will never sell it. It has done so much work for me that it deserves to retire. My point is...look around when buying a tractor. Don't rush into anything. But your deal with all the implements may turn out to be a good one. I hope so. Remember 8N or higher. Nothing lower. In case you didn't know.
9N = 1939
2N = 1942
8N = 1948

My MF202 is a 1958. I'm a little curious about one thing you said. You said the guy had 5 mowers. Why would he have five mowers?

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back