Need advice 2N purchase

AndiMac

New User
Hello everyone,
Ive been lurking on these forums for awhile LOL. Have learned quite a bit here. Thank you all for that.

I do want to start this post by saying I have never owned a tractor. Until a few weeks ago I had never thought about owning a tractor and knew relatively about them. I do have nearly one million miles driving a semi, which simply means I have experience with large machines, clutches, engines etc. Not implying I can fix them but perhaps I understand more about machines than would be average.

My husband and I have a piece of property that has recently (2 months ago) been dozed but not graded. There is currently a driveway (roughly 300 ft long) into a clearing of about 1/4 acre. The property is in total 30 acres - but only the above mentioned is cleared so far.

The contractor could not give us another day for grading or any other work on the property. We contacted several other companies both large and one-man-shops and while 3 appointments were made - no one showed up - and further didnt return calls or texts after not showing up.

At the end of the day we came to realize that in our little neck-of-the-woods, it appears we need to do more than previously thought as in do more of our own DirtWork than we planned. Hence, we decided that getting a tractor made sense. Since new really isnt an option at this time with so many other considerations - and since we were advised by a homesteading friend to look for something in the 8N, 9N or 2N world or Massy Ferguson To30 or MF35, we began our quest.

Over the last few weeks I have been researching these tractors, reading boards like this one and overall learning about the 30s-60s era tractors: Ford, Massey Ferguson and even some old European brands like Long and a few others.

We have gone to see many tractors in southern Illinois, Missouri and even one in Tennessee. Most all have been sorely disappointing and not what we were told by the owners. Prices in this area range from $1,500 - $4,500 for these old tractors so its a broad range. In our experience so far, the price difference doesnt necessarily indicate a better tractor in better shape. Its just someone wanting to get more out of it with a paint job perhaps but little else.

Which brings me to the latest tractor find this week the one I need to get feedback on if you feel inspired to do so.

I found an ad on CraigsList for a 2N Ford tractor over a week ago with every implement we know were going to need.

Heres the list:

(2) 5 bush hogs (though one will do)
(1) King Cutter box blade w/ teeth in very good shape
(1) 6 blade (slight dent in it but doesnt hinder its use)
(1) dirt bucket
(1) boom pole

The tractor isnt pretty by most folks standards - but I think its old patina is wonderful - it has not been painted (thankfully). We were told its a 1942, though I havent yet double-checked the serial on it as I forgot to grab a picture of it when there.

When we went to look day before yesterday heres what we found

WHEELS:
The wheels are not rusted through or rusted badly in any area. There might be a touch of surface rust here and there but nothing major. The valve stems are not rusted at all (which is the first weve seen in this good of shape so far). Nothing bent on the wheels.

BACK TIRES:
The tires on the back are AG tires and have life left in them. No bald spots, bad cuts or excessive wear. They are worn but not excessively and likely have at least 50-60% life left?

FRONT TIRES:
The front tires are a not the skinny ribbed tires but a wider, flatter tire with decent tread but not an AG tire exactly - more like an off-road truck tire.

STEERING PARTS:
The steering arms are in good shape, knuckles appear to be greased well, steering is straight (unlike the last one that turned hard to the right the moment you released the clutch).

METAL:
The metal is straight with no rusting at those usual spots just below the radiator fill. Overall good and straight and in decent shape. Appears to have never been painted over since new so its a wonderful soft shade of pink LOL.

SEAT:
Good spring seat (I like the saddle type seat). Seat is comfortable, the spring works well. Seat was red when knew and is now quite faded but not rusted out.

HEADLIGHTS/LIGHTS:
It has no headlights or lights of any kind at the moment.

MAIN BODY:
The main body of the tractor is NOT covered in oil, has not been painted or power washed to hide oil leaks. Seals are not leaking where the engine meets transmission and the engine isnt black with years of oil and gas leaking.

HYDRAULICS:
The hydraulics is a different story. We were told in advance it does leak hydraulic fluid some from just under the seat around the upper seal - and this did turn out to be the case. We were told it has been like this for the 8 years he has had it and he has cut and graded a driveway and done many jobs with the tractor in that time. He thinks it is the upper seal as there is no leaking from the inspection cover on the side of the tractor. NOTE: we were told the arms will lift and up all the way and down all the way but if you want it to hold anywhere inbetween you have to hold the lever - and this is true. The arm will shake at the top with the boom pole but eventually settle down and the boom pole stays in the lifted position. To get any kind of position control you have to hold the lever or it will go all the way down. The lifting happens quickly. Seconds.

When I drove the tractor it had a set of 300 lb homemade forks on the back lifted up and there was no bleed off. While driving the tractor the forks were in the air and didnt move at all.

Sometimes, when you pull the lever up for lifting it hesitates. You have to push it back down below the stop, release the clutch in neutral and lift it a second time. When it does come up it comes up quickly. But Im also unfamiliar with the 2N and am new to operating a PTO altogether so bear that in mind. It isnt second nature yet.

BRAKES:
The brakes - like most mechanicals (for me) sometimes require standing up to get their full power - like when I stopped on a slight hill and the tractor wanted to roll backwards. They need a lot of pressure to fully stop and hold.

We did put a deposit on the whole kit - tractor and implements - as this is the only way he intends to sell. We gave him $1,000 of the $3,000 asking price day before yesterday.

TRANSMISSION/OIL:
The transmission fluid is not grey or have the appearance of having water in it but there is a strong smell of gas in the oil when we pulled the dipstick to check it. Otherwise oil looks like it should.

TODAY
Today, we went to load up the implements and tractor and take it to our property a 300 mile trip.

When we started to move the first brush hog - to pull it out and set it up for hook-up, using the boom pole, the tractor could not lift or drag it. I expected the front end to get light and it did. Wheels didnt lift entirely off the ground - but it could not lift the brush hog at all. The pole did tug but couldnt actually lift the implement.

We switched to the 6 blade to see if it could lift that - it did.

THE BIGGER PROBLEM

When we drove the tractor for the first time, it drove great for me. When my husband got on to drive it, it died about 5 minutes in. The battery had to be jumped to get it back to its parking spot. We were told it might need a new battery.

Upon returning today - after placing the deposit - we went and pulled the battery, took it for a load test which it passed with flying colors. We thought the alternator wasnt charging the battery but my husband checked that today with a volt meter and it is putting out enough volts for charging.

The tractor keeps dying

Its hard to pinpoint exactly what causes the tractor to die but die it did several times today. When I moved the lever to lift the blade up the tractor would die. Wed get it started again. Then letting out the clutch would cause it to die. Wed get it started again - this time by jumping it - and it would die if I pushed the throttle down one click.

It does have a resistor, which we switched out with a new one.

Came to the conclusion it was the either throttle adjustment or the carburetor. Ended up pulling the carb (with the owners permission) to bring it back for a rebuild as I have a rebuild kit. However, we dont have the little screw drivers needed to do the rebuild. Thought we could find a screw-starting tool easily but none of the stores we checked have them.

So weve put a deposit on the tractor. We need the tractor to load/unload the implements but cant keep it running long enough to do that and it to boot -it doesnt seem to have the lifting strength for the job. Lifting is something we will be doing a lot as there are piles of logs and brush pushed over by the dozer that have to be pulled out and bucked - and thats just to start. Well be building with round wood and need to skid logs out of the forest for that this tractor will be doing a lot of lifting. It does seem to have the muscle for pulling but not lifting.

This tractor is in the best OVERALL shape of the many weve seen.

Is this tractor - with this compliment of attachments - worth fixing? Oh it does have a hi/lo lever on the left side of the engine.

Should we just let this go? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Andi

AndiMac,
Welcome to the forum.
A 75+ year old tractor will need some
fixing to get it all working correctly.
If you can do the work the knowledge base
and helpful advice is here for the asking.
In this area of the country the price you
paid is very fair considering all the
implements that came with it.
The Ford Ns are handy little tractors that
will do a Lot of useful work for you.
They are also very simple - simple enough
that farmers who were replacing a team of
horses could repair them. They are a great
starter tractor to learn the basics on.
One bit of advice:
Fix it, work it, enjoy it.
But do Not fall in love with the tractor
and do not 'restore' it. If you do you will
have several thousand more $ into it before
you are done.
Take the long view and remember that though
the Ns are very good, every tractor Ford
built after them was Better. So spend your
restoration dollars on a newer model.

(quoted from post at 02:49:20 10/27/21)

[b:ffbc7e9d19]Should we just let this go? Any ideas would be appreciated.[/b:ffbc7e9d19]

Andi

I own two N-series so I am not a hater just a pragmatist.

You are not a mechanic and you dont know much about tractors of any sort. The 2N will require constant attention to keep it running and working. Cheap up front but you will pour lots of time and money into it immediately. A 2N is about as primitive as you can get and newer tractors will be much safer and easier to operate and make your life a lot simpler.

My advice - bite the bullet and buy something less than 40 years old and based on your immediate needs with a front loader. The only rear implement you need at this point is a grader blade and with a loader on the front that is optional and inexpensive even new. Diesel over gas if at all possible.

Yes it costs a lot more money but you are engaged in an expensive project and in the long run the up front costs will pay for itself

TOH

This post was edited by TheOldHokie on 10/27/2021 at 05:45 am.

You have been given good advice from the guys. The N is great little workhorse, loves to work, and will fulfill basic chores like mowing, plowing snow, garden
cultivating, and more. It is also a great project learning tool, BUT, you need to get the Essential Manuals to begin with, before doing any work or operating, and
avoid rookie rule #1 which you already broke and that is to start buying new parts and replacing without doing true root cause problem solving. Did you test the
resistor first? How do you know it was good or bad? Do you know what the resistor is and the cutout? See? If you want to learn about the Ford Flat Head 4 Cyl, this is
the tractor to rebuild. BUT DO IT RIGHT. If you are not mechanically inclined, get help. The front mount distributor is a unique item by itself. OEM system is 6V/POS
GRN. Many have been switched over to 12V and may or may not have been done correctly, BUT, regardless, 99.98% of all non-starting issues are due to mucked up wiring.
Get The Essential Manuals, 75 Tips for N-Owners by Bruce(VA); and a copy of WIRING PICTOGRAMS by JMOR.

The 9N and 2N models were basically the same after s/n 12500. The Ford Front Mount Distributor was used thru 1950. It required the Ballast Resistor. The starter motor
was a 1-Wire unit that used NO SOLENOID! The GENERATOR was a 1-Wire/3-Brush, 11 AMP, A Circuit Unit that used the roundcan cutout. All used a key switch, an ammeter,
a pushbutton start switch, and never had lights from the factory. The electrical system was the same from 1040 thru 1947. There were other changes like steering and
cooling but the electrical is the most important.

FORD TRACTOR 9N & 2N, AFTER S/N 12500, OEM 6V/POS GRN WIRING:
QWaC1aah.jpg
CJedLEch.jpg
SGwwM6th.jpg

FORD 9N-10505-B CUTOUT USED AFTER S/N 12,500 TO S/N 258504 ON 9N & 2N MODELS ONLY:
U2VXum1h.jpg

OEM 9N-12250 BALLAST RESISTOR:
swlv82hh.jpg

WIRING PICTOGRAMS by JMOR:
d0yuVcih.jpg

Swubdfmh.jpg

FORD 9N/2N ESSENTIAL OWNER/OPERATOR/PARTS/SERVICE MANUALS:
i2gbSeoh.jpg

Tim Daley(MI)

Welcome to the best place for help on old Ford tractors! A quick guess would be either spark (could be as simple as ignition switch or coil) or a plugged gas filter.
Where are you located? That list of implements is great for what you will want to play - I mean WORK - with. You may want to consider going ahead w/the purchase, then sell one mower & buy/trade for a tractor a little newer. The old N's will do an impressive amount of dirt work, but things like better hydraulics & live pto will make it go easier, especially if you aren't all that familiar w/tractors.
You have to realize many (most?) of us on here were raised w/these OLD Fords! If you go ahead w/it these guys can help you diagnose & fix any part of it!

I agree 100% on what you said about restoring it. This would not be the one. The primary reason behind buying this one was the implements which together would easily run 2K alone. The seller was straightforward on how he priced his tractor/w implements as a package. He knows the tractor needs work eventhough he has been using it regularly for 8 years on his place. Great post thank you for the reminder :)

The more money part right now is a tough one. A year spent waiting to get on the property after we closed on it (took 5 months to get the title as we closed 1 week before lock downs and then a family concern came up) is an issue. We have shovels, picks and a wheel-barrow and have done quite a bit with that but know we need more muscle to move forward in any kind of timely fashion. Even a small somewhat finicky tractor will make a difference.

That said, we dont have any buildings yet. Just the dirt so where to work on it? Likely under a tarp in the beginning so that is a bit daunting.

That said my husband and I have mechanical skills - he has more handson experience than I but Ive been making a point of learning through watching rebuild videos.

I have found a few diesels but few and far between and most are many miles away. Having done that once and leaving with nothing becasue the tractor literally spewed transmission fluid everywhere right after I drove it - while we were told it was ready to work - Im reluctant to do too much more of that.

Our property and plans are somewhat unique in that most of what we need to use the tractor for will be in the woods. A front end loader will be an amazing tool for the cleared areas but cumbersome if not useless in the woods. We have zero pasture - but do have areas of more bush than trees toward the front where once there was a road which will need to be kept cut back - hence a bush hog.

The first order of business will be gathering round wood as thats our building material. Skidding logs out f the woods will be job number one.

Secondly, what area is cleared is - I think - beyond a grader blade. A box blade will be required to fill holes and level ground. There are tree root holes everywhere, the ground is very uneven and the driveway was quite literally impassable before we collected smaller rock, moved out big rocks and refilled the holes - by hand. Took 2 days to get the two largest holes filled enough to drive our truck on site. I cant see how we move forward without a box blade with teeth to level the ground for building.

While a loader will be incredibly handy - if I had to choose the best tool on day one it would be a box blade, then grader blade, then boom pole for skidding out logs 4 - 10 in size. We dont have many overly large trees that will be cut. Lots of oak but will build with Cedar as its a bit more abundant on the property, lighter and easier to work with.

The ground is gentle in overall slope and covered with brush, trees and rocks. Unlikely well plant in ground. Raised beds will be easier since the soil is too rocky.

Thanks for your post! I really appreciate you taking the time. Great things to think about as this unfolds.

This post was edited by AndiMac on 10/27/2021 at 07:59 am.

The seller did have the original manual for this tractor and was able to find it. I agree that manuals are top priority.

The seller had a resistor sitting on the top just behind the shifter because he said they go out often. This tractor is converted to 12volt though Im not sure it was done correctly. It isnt a one-wire setup. There are wires going everywhere with alligator clips from wire to resister etc.

We didnt test the resistor first other than to unhook the old resistor and hook the new one on for a test - to see if it would start and it did - so went ahead and changed it. The old one might still be good. Its still sitting on the top.

The carb rebuild kit was purchased when we were seriously looking at an 8N with carb trouble that the seller didnt have time to fix. It was a great deal - tractor was in good shape other than the carb (according to the seller who is a farmer and fixes the 12 tractors they have on property) so I got the rebuild kit in preparation. But the deal didnt go through.

The books you posted here are now on my list :)!

(reply to post at 06:28:10 10/27/21)
Welcome to the best place for help on old Ford tractors! A quick guess would be either spark (could be as simple as ignition switch or coil) or a plugged gas filter.
Where are you located? That list of implements is great for what you will want to play - I mean WORK - with. You may want to consider going ahead w/the purchase, then sell one mower & buy/trade for a tractor a little newer. The old N's will do an impressive amount of dirt work, but things like better hydraulics & live pto will make it go easier, especially if you aren't all that familiar w/tractors.
You have to realize many (most?) of us on here were raised w/these OLD Fords! If you go ahead w/it these guys can help you diagnose & fix any part of it!

Thank you ALL for the welcome :) I feel at home here :)

My husband is a Journeyman Electrician. Spent 27 years in the trade. He understands electricity far beyond my skills. I grew up with a Master Cabinet maker so have carpentry skills, design skills and am good at building all manner of things with wood, metal, stone etc. We both learn quickly.

I built-out a Cargo Trailer with kitchen sink, stove, cabinets, bed, circulation fans and heat, to live in while building. (See pics of Cargo Trailer build) Were planning to build with on the property with a mix of cob and strawbale along with rammed earth.

The long experience with tractors here, is what Im relying on. It seems I keep ending up here as questions come up!

[b:bc42f1d874]Where are we located? [/b:bc42f1d874]
Our property is located in NorthWest Arkansas, up on a ridge. Actually 40 miles south of Branson, Missouri, just over the border into AR.

The land is gentle - no big hills or valleys to speak of but is on the ridge of a mountain. Has a year-round creek that makes up the full western border. Its rock and more rock. :)

things like better hydraulics & live pto will make it go easier, especially if you aren't all that familiar w/tractors.

That is precisely what I was aiming for. I ignored the 2N at first. When I spoke to the seller, he was straight-forward about the shortcomings but said he has used this tractor consistently for 8 years now without doing major work on it. I have surmised he knows how to keep it running. He also has an old farmer nearby who comes along and helps him do so. We wont have an old farmer nearby at the property LOL - at least not yet - so Ill be counting on experience from this board I think :)

This little 2N does have an overrun clutch on it for the bush-hog and while it has hi/lo the seller said hes never run this tractor in any gear but 1st. Likely it would be the same for us. Theres little well be doing that will require f-a-s-t.

The question today is which this do we find a way to get everything loaded on our 2 trailers and get it to the property, to take it from there? Or walk away? There is a good sized tree and we have a come-along. We were hoping to use the tractor for loading but that hasnt worked out yet.

My sense is, the implements are worth it - and the tractor can give us hands-on experience and hopefully not cost an arm/leg in the process. It is in the best shape overall of all weve seen.

The Catch-22 is we need a tractor to get things going to have a place to work on a tractor LOL

Seems to me that SIMPLE is important right now. Will a 2N be simple to work on and keep running for now?

We have not been able to get our Cargo Trailer on the property up to this point.

We were able to fix the driveway (by hand) just before coming up here, to St. Louis, on biz/family matters. While here in STL, we came to the conclusion we needed a tractor and started looking. There seem to be more used tractors here than close to our property, so we thought why not look?

When I first saw the 2N/w implements ad I ignored it. I was looking more seriously for MF 35 with a Perkins diesel but didnt find those. Did find Massey Ferguson TO 20s and 30s but none in great shape. WE looked at high priced ones thinking theyd be in good shape not necessarily the case.

One person advised that we go MF over Ford due to the flathead vs the overhead cam. I understand the premise of that advice is it that cut-and-dry?

We were supposed to head back to Arkansas this last weekend. My husband and I decided to look at one more tractor. With 4 to pick from (all over an hour away) we picked the 2N with implements. It would be the first time we got to see implements first-hand (not pictures) and the first 2N we looked at as well.

Oddly, when we got to the sellers place, when I drove this tractor it was the best driving of every tractor weve looked at. It steered straight, turned well, felt good. And then the battery died and it hasnt ran well since. Weve been to the sellers house 3 times now trying to get implements loaded.

The seller works during the week - so its my husband and me and the sellers wife onsite. The guy who really knows how this tractors runs is 90 minutes away at work and we talk on the phone LOL.

Interesting situation to say the least.

mvphoto83711.jpg

mvphoto83712.jpg

mvphoto83713.jpg

mvphoto83714.jpg

mvphoto83715.jpg

Good morning AndiMac
The information you have shared is indeed worthy of a Thesis on a future acreage and first time Tractor / Equipment
buyer, ...well done.
May I share with you, my handle John Deere D only indicates a JD was the first Tractor I was able to operate, as
I could not reach the Clutch pedal on my parents N Ford.
The over all $$$$'s for the equipment IF in running condition, is a very good price, at least in the area that my
wife and I call home.

I do own a 2-N Ford...... it's work load is for ONLY CUTTING GRASS in the LOCAL CEMETARY and I run it to the mail
box to retrieve our mail.(2 miles round trip).
Never forget you are possibly purchasing a PIECE of HISTORY...The N ford ushered the Horse and buggy out...

Possibly, the 2-N is and old Matriarch and should be treated like and old Matriarch...Sunday outings then back to
the Barn..

Respectfully:

Bob...Retried Power Engineer

(quoted from post at 11:53:13 10/27/21) [,

The question today is which this do we find a way to get everything loaded on our 2 trailers and get it to the property, to take it from there? Or walk away? There is a good sized tree and we have a come-along. We were hoping to use the tractor for loading but that hasnt worked out yet.

Oddly, when we got to the sellers place, when I drove this tractor it was the best driving of every tractor weve looked at. It steered straight, turned well, felt good. And then the battery died and it hasnt ran well since. Weve been to the sellers house 3 times now trying to get implements loaded.

You have a tractor that can't even load the implements. This should tell you what the future is likely to hold. The implements may be enough to justify the purchase. That's the only basis I would proceed. I have a 9N and 8N for purely nostalgic reasons. If not for that both would have been gone years ago.

Keep in mind you can rent modern equipment for very reasonable rates and get a lot done in very short order. You may find that is the best way to use your cache of implements.

TOH

Being a truck driver you can appreciate how to float the transmission out of drive so you can keep using the lift while stoping. I do that with my blade when needed. The lever is a little awkward to "tap", it would be a little easier with a foot pedal. I follow the advise here to use the clutch from a dead stop.

If your not used to a independent pto or hydrostatic transmission you won't miss anything using the N. When dad built a house typically the shop was built first. The owners could have a place to work out of with their own electricity and water while they cleaned and built up the surrounding property. We used the temporary power and didn't get in each others way.

[i:654c4848f0]'If your not used to a independent pto
or hydrostatic transmission you won't miss
anything using the N.'[/i:654c4848f0]

But you will miss having live hydraulics -
even if you don't know it.

(quoted from post at 12:51:00 10/27/21) [i:77635b738e]'If your not used to a independent pto
or hydrostatic transmission you won't miss
anything using the N.'[/i:77635b738e]

But you will miss having live hydraulics -
even if you don't know it.
peak for yourself and don't get in the way of the person getting the job done. Maybe I'm not stressed enough, when we were bailing hay for a living it didn't bother me to occasionally rake or cut with Grandpa's 9N. After listening to those Perkins scream all day it was kinda soothing mowing, box blading and plowing with the old flathead.

The Jubilees and onward had live
hydraulics. Their OHV Red Tiger engines
were a bit more throaty than the flat head
Ns but not much. No where near a rattley
Perkins - especially the diesels.

We bought our 2N in 1987 and it has been one of the most dependable and reliable machines one could ever ask for.
BUT, it wasn't all buggered up and jury-rigged.
Stock. except for the paint. :p
Since then, it is the most frequently used tractor. Why? Because I really enjoy the darn thing.
When we cut hay, I mount the cycle bar mower on the 2N, the wheel rake on the 8N and baler on the Massey.
One little thin that I do when giving a farm tour is to walk past the tractors.
"Hey, look at those old Fords"!
"Old" I ask? "Watch this".
I walk over to the 2N, open the fuel valve, advance the throttle, torn on the key and hit the button:
KerPOW! Starts instantly.
Then I always tell them, "If everything in life was as dependable as these "old Fords", life would be much easier."

:)

THANK YOU EVERYONE!
Im so grateful for every reply on this thread. Each and every one gave us something to think about which ultimately helped us make the decision today to purchase this tractor with its compliment of implements.

All of the implements were loaded today onto our trailers. The tractor and one bush hog is yet to go. That will take place tomorrow.

We couldnt get the tractor started today after putting the carburetor back on. It wasnt rebuilt since we couldnt find the screw holding screw driver anywhere. We did clean it up.

After we knew we couldnt get it to start we pulled the carburetor again to take with us for a rebuild if we could find a screw-holding screw driver and thats when we saw there was no fuel coming out of the bowl. After a dozen attempts to start it, no fuel at all? The choke was engaged so much I wouldve thought it would be flooded but it wasnt.

While driving back to our Cargo Trailer, we saw a small tractor shop with several Ns out front and a few old Masseys and stopped. Went in and lo-n-behold the guy who runs the shop turns out to be one of the most sought after older tractor repair guys in the state. Our carburetor is on his work bench tonight well take the rebuild kit back in the morning and hes going to do the rebuild. The carb looked good inside once he opened it and he found the jet is clogged and the pontoons were set very high. Overall he said it was in good shape. We shall see what happens tomorrow.

So we have a brand new (to us) 1942 2N tractor and tools ready to head south tomorrow.

Ill let you all know how it goes!

At the end of the day, we think this is a good place to start. Will it be the last tractor? Um, no. :) But its a place to start!

Again thank you each and every one for taking the time to respond to my request for your feedback. Very thankful.
- Andi

8N gets you a 4th gear but I had a 2n for about 20 years and really had great luck with it. Honestly the runs and then dies thing could be a number of culprits. I would be thinking about an ignition coil and potentially the ignition switch.

You can bypass the key switch and wire in a large toggle switch which you will find to be inexpensive and an easy way to see if that's the issue before you just start ordering parts. Clogged fuel tank vent would do that as well but you can loosen the fuel cap if it does it again and listen for the air to be drawn into the tank.

Look in the archives for Bruce and his tips on the old Fords. He is a wealth of knowledge and has undoubtedly saved countless old Fords from the scrap heap. If you have high/low on the transmission that makes the tractor way more versatile and a better machine than most. Hydraulics are pretty simple and easy to understand. You would be surprised what fresh hydraulic fluid will do to smooth out lift problems. I last used Rotella from TSC (ok to use in Fords) and I was amazed what a difference it made.

Best of luck!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back