hydraulic adapter question

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
Hello ALL!
I"ve run into a problem with identifying the types of fittings I have on my Westendorf loader. The loader is on a 930 Case and I"m replacing the 4 bucket hoses. The hoses I purchased from Fleet Farm have what I believe to be "JIC" male ends on them. The problem is the bucket rams and the hydraulic metal lines that run from the rear both have what I believe to be are "ferrule" fittings on them. It has the nut that slides up and down the line with the little "collar" that fits over the end of the line. Someone else told me that is called a "flareless" fitting. I"ve looked at pictures on the net and I"m baffled by the different names they give them. Anyone have any advice on how to convert these hoses over to work with the Westendorf type or what these fitting types are really called? I can get the replacement hoses from Westendorf but we are talking big big $$$$. Hoping I can find an adapter.
Thanks!
 
If you have a hydraulic shop in your area that makes hydraulic hoses you can pull a hose off and have the hydraulic shop to take a look at the old hose fittings. If they can make a new hose with the correct end connections, have them make one. If all the hoses are the same I would mark them with some good tape as to where they were removed.
Be sure to mark the new hoses. Return the other hoses. Hal
 
Your Farm&Fleet is alot different than ours, which only carry pipe thread (NPT)hose. Sounds like you have face seal o-ring fittings (ORFS)on the loader. This has replaced JIC fittings on newer machinery. JIC tended to loosen with the pressure cycles and eventually leak. JIC was introduced as an improvement to NPT. ORFS are much better than both but you will need to go to the dealer or a hose shop to get adapter fittings. Everything I build uses NPT hose from F&F and I purchase adapters. NTP is more leak prone, but I use thread sealant and it works on 2000 psi hydraulic systems.
 
Here's a hose with JIC flared swivel nuts. Hal
71y8it2.jpg
 
I'm guessing that you have flat face fittings with an o-ring in the male ends's face? Very common on Cat gear today and probably a bunch more stuff but there are still a lot of shops around here that are bullheaded about stocking those fittings, and don't stock them regularly. They are a much better fitting. Very rarely leak if they're tightened properly.
If you want to convert just get an adapter for the cylinder. Most would have either NPT or O-Ring Boss (ORB) fittings in the cylinder. Adapter shouldnt be more than a few bucks each.
I generally prefer to keep everything either flat face or NPT. I hate JIC fittings with a passion. They're just tapered leaking bastards as far as I'm concerned....
Just find a good shop that deals in the flat face fittings and have them stock some for you. Most will oblige you if they want to sell you hose...

Rod
 
Those are probably Anchor flanges that you're referring to. We used them too. Hal

www.anchorfluidpower.com
 
The cylinders have the 90 degree swivel fittings welded right to the body from the factory (Westendorf). The loader is strong and reliable but some of the stuff Westendorf does makes me shake my head. So I can't change the cylinder fittings over to NPT, wish I could. Neither of the fittings have any kind of o-ring in the male or female portion. I have now been told that the connections on the ends of the the steel lines that the bucket cylinder hoses attach to are "flareless compression" that use what he called "ferulles" (the little collar that slips over the end of the line and goes inside the nut). I'm going to post some pics later today because I don't think I'm doing a good job of explaining this. Thank you all who replied and I'd appreciate more help after I post the pics!
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top