Hydraulic Bucket Truck Modifications

I bought an old 87 Ford bucket truck for various jobs around the place like trees and painting. Its boom is powered by an engine driven hydraulic pump with electric applied clutch . Works good but requires engine to be running to operate. The stop/start from bucket system has been removed and disabled. I don't like the idea of that big ole 460 chuffing along at an idle for hours while I am up painting, etc. Plus its noisy. I am wondering about those 12 volt self contained pumps and if it has enough volume to power the boom. Are they slow? The current system operates at 2000 psi and 1 1/2 gallon gpm. Some of those pumps have long cords with buttons that could be run to the bucket. I have lots of room for additional batteries. Or should I mount a separate small engine in the bed and turn the pump with that? I could set that up with a remote starter for on and off feature. I could also do that with the trucks current engine but it is carbureted so if it doesn't start there is no way to pump the gas or floor it to clear a flood. Got any clever ideas ?

Thoughts;

A 12 volt power pack is capable of producing the pressure you need but not very likely it's reservoir will have enough capacity.

Plenty of scissor lifts that are battery over hydraulic operation, some have an manual emergency lowering valve plumbed in so if your system fails when you are up in the air you have a way down.

You need to figure out if you need a one way or two way power pack and depending on how many functions you need you may need more than one along with enough batteries to keep it all working long enough to get the job done.

If you want to eliminate running an engine then you may be able to adapt a 12 volt electric motor to run your existing pump and tank setup.

Thanks, I only need a one way
power source, I would plumb
it into the existing system
which has all the function
and resvoir built in. I
hadn't thought about a 12volt
motor to turn the existing
belt driven pump...that may
be a good idea and simple

You can add a 12v pump to your existing system. Just tee the electric pump into the pressure out side of the engine driven pump with check valves after each pump, pick up a tank source for the suction side. Then you have the option of engine driven or electric, uses the same tank, which is already properly sized for the system.

Just match the GPM and pressure capability of the original pump.

I don't want to over simplify this, but hydraulics are exacting, unforgiving, and mistakes are expensive! Bounce your final plans off someone you trust before you start modifying and spending money.

What make bucket is it ?
Most has a 12v emergency backup power from the factory.
The pump was located in the pedestal along with the hydraulic filter.
It should be activated by a hand push air pump or a switch near the upper controls and another location near the lower controls.
Hope this helps.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back