Hydraulic fluid leak returned after replacing seal a month ago

A month (or so) ago I replaced the hydraulic seal at the steering wheel.
All was good for about a month, now the same leak has come back.

Improperly installed or could it be something else?

Thanks

A month (or so) ago I replaced the hydraulic seal at the steering wheel.
All was good for about a month, now the same leak has come back.

Improperly installed or could it be something else?

Thanks
It could be all of the above. Shaft grooved, rusty / pitted? Did you use the wrong size piece of electrical conduit to drive it in there and mangle the seal? Wrong seal?

I met a fella who said he had the same problem.
He ended up re-sleeving the seal seat area because it would leak no matter how many times he replaced the seal.

I met a fella who said he had the same problem.
He ended up re-sleeving the seal seat area because it would leak no matter how many times he replaced the seal.
That is a possibility. The seal can wear a groove in the shaft, and there's only so much a seal can do.

There is a product called a Speedi-sleeve that covers up the worn part of the shaft.

see my post on this seal. i am working on a fix - if it works, i'll share. my theory is the bushing inside of the steering shaft support (the one right next to the engine), is worn out. that lets the power steering motor shaft "wiggle" a little from right to left. The seal has little ability to move that much. i replaced the bushing, but building another support to put in front of it, which won't allow this shaft to move around at all.
I would put your fingers under the seal, and make sure the oil is leaking there, and not from somewhere above it.

If this is on your 706 you have been working on it would not be any shaft problem as one total tool man describes since you have only 2 lines from the hand pump/motor to the front casting where the steering piston and rack are at. if it leaks under the steering wheel check that the new leak is in the same place as before or if it happens to be at the bottom/back end of the hand pump/motor. They do leak at the steel band where the vaccum cleaner looking band is at the back side. Also some of those need to keep the timing so mark it before disassembly of the motor for future reference.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back