Hydraulic Oil Age

I have a 5 gallon bucket of hydraulic oil that is at least 5 years old. It is sealed and unopened. I am reading that the shelf life on hydraulic oil is 5 years. To use or not to use?

What is the consensus about using this oil in my Ford 861 tractor?

(quoted from post at 12:46:54 06/01/23) I have a 5 gallon bucket of hydraulic oil that is at least 5 years old. It is sealed and unopened. I am reading that the shelf life on hydraulic oil is 5 years. To use or not to use?

What is the consensus about using this oil in my Ford 861 tractor?
at least 5"...yes, more like millions
I'm still using motor oil from the '60's and a lab tested it from a previously un-opened can and all results came back fine along with additive package details.

This post was edited by JMOR on 06/01/2023 at 10:30 am.

I have power steering oil in my truck that I
bought new in 2007. Same oil, 16 years old.

I do the sniff test. I smell oil in PS, Auto
transmission and hydraulics. If it smells burnt
or black it is past its best by use date.

Is it the grade number that is no longer aproved and supposed to not be sold
any more. If is I would not use, any other I would use with out even
thinking about it.

I would say that if it's speced for the tractor and doesn't have water in it, - then go ahead and use it.

This reminds me of the guy who thought he had to throw out all of his beer and soda pop because the refrigerator in
his garage went out and it got warm.

If no water use it. I have some engine oil here that is about that old I use in things and some transmission oil 80/90 or something like that is older than that. I have a can of the old Ford or Masset oil for the Nseries or a 135 or 35 not sure it is about like rearend oil for one of those models.

I have old oil sitting around, in unopened containers, and I use it. But I do notice when you get to the
bottom it looks like there is some settling, a little discoloration and maybe a slimy substance, so I stop
pouring.

(quoted from post at 04:29:22 06/02/23) I have old oil sitting around, in unopened containers, and I use it. But I do notice when you get to the
bottom it looks like there is some settling, a little discoloration and maybe a slimy substance, so I stop
pouring.

There is always going to be a little wax on the bottom of a large container of oil.

(quoted from post at 15:00:55 06/01/23) Is it the grade number that is no longer aproved and supposed to not be sold
any more. If is I would not use, any other I would use with out even
thinking about it.

Ford MC134D was replaced by Ambra Multi G several years ago
If I found a bucket of 134D that had been setting inside on a shelve for 20 years I d still use it in my older tractors

There's a lot of tractors out there that have hydraulic oil in them a lot older than that - and that oil is in use - not stored in a sealed container.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back