Hydraulic oil

BuddyBear

New User
I'm trying to find a hydraulic oil that replaces ATF Type F. I've been told the only thing I have to worry about is the viscousity. What is the SAE grade of Type F? I know AW46 is ASE 10. Can AW46 and Type F cohabitate?
 
Good luck they dont rate ATF like normal oil. Just like hydraulic oil too. So since they both dont use a scale so to speak that relates to one another that could be tricky. Why are you going from ATF to hydraulic.....just curious as that may help us answer.
 
"Can AW46 and Type F cohabitate"

Just saw that do you mean MIX them. If so I sure wouldnt. Mixing types of fluids can be very bad. They can react in various ways from viscosity break down, or even foaming. I dont even mix viscosity.
 
The manual calls for Type F. The trencher holds about 16 gal. The only way I've found to buy Type F is by the quart or by the drum. By the quart is a whole lot of plastic bottles and by the drum is a whole lot of oil. The guy I bought the machine from said he got the oil at Sam's Wholesale Club. The Sam's I went to had AW 46 and another one. I guess I'm not mixing oils as much as I'm looking for a replacement.
Sorry for the mix up. (pun not intended)
 
what machine is it? Reason Im asking is that will help find alternate fluids. I know my bobcat skid steer 600 takes 20 gallons of 10w30 for the hydraulics and chain bath. Alot of older units used 10w30. I heard here folks using ATF in this bobcat, and hydraulic fluid. Bobcat dealer said wont hurt anything but it was designed to use 10w30 (he showed on the pc in his office).

So as you can see, knowing more about the machine type/model may allow us to find other fluids. Type F is for old fords that needed a high friction lube. Check around some may have used motor oil instead. I wouldnt do it though less others said it worked. never know.
 
Sorry it's taken so long to reply. Been outta town. The unit I have is a Case 30+4 trencher. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info about the maching in general. If you know where to find any please let me know.

Thanks for the advice
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top