Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
I''ll hit the shed in a few minutes with My tractor manuels but I'm hopein' some of Yaw'l can give Me some help, might be something easy to fix if I had experience with this Hydraulic system.
Tractor is My 64 Farmall 504 diesel....Cranked it yesterday, gonna bush hog a small patch, had to put in 5 gal of Hyd oil ( bought tractor last fall, other than crankin' hadn't run it) bush hog lifts slower than I think it should. What should be checked first, and what is the logical progression of things to check and or fix? Thank Yaw'l
Wild Bill
 
Would probably pay you to review the manuals,and do a complete service, change fuel filters,clean/replace the air filter and lube on the tractor before you even start.If the hyd was low,it's a good possibility other maintenance hasn't been done either.
 
Yes Sir....After I posted that question I did get the manuals out and seen that I should have done that in the first place, I don't doubt the tractor has been neglected, story I got when I bought it was for the last 20 years tractor had been owned by a lawyer that would come up and mow the Homeplace twice a year...I bought it right if it is any good at all I think by doin' the neglected maintainence I'll have a decent tractor or at the very least a direction to go in. Ground is way to wet to start farmin' so I've got some time
Wild Bill
 
I have a 504, and the loader runs off the tractor hydraulics. Loader slow to lift. There was a pipe plug on the side of the transmission case, with a 1/4" bolt tapped into it. Obviously, the level plug, with a handy way to check level. Kept checking level, always OK. Finally, decided the pump was tired, so found another. Took off the side cover to replace pump, got to looking and "long story short", discovered that what I thought was the level plug would keep it permanently low on oil (just barely to the bottom of the pump intake- so it was sucking air part of the time). Put about an inch more oil in, works like a champ. Still haven't figured out that plug with the bolt tapped into it- 'course, maybe thats why it was for sale. . .
 
Mike,I don't remember why or when but the fluid level in a 504 has been discussed on here before, maybe in reguards to another question I ask, Some one said the level is 8in. down from the filler plug

Wild Bill
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top