I could use some help - will anyone reply?

Jackie in SC

New User
Perhaps my question is too ignorant, but I really could use some help from anyone who has done this - I am sure that many of you have, and can advise. I would appreciate it!
This is my message from yesterday:
Manifold gasket replacement project was fouled by previous owner"s breakage of two manifold studs. Trying to remove head so that machine shop can work on it without taking whole tractor in...removed sheet metal, radiator,valve cover,thermostat and head bolts. Can the head be removed now by tapping with rubber mallet to loosen seal? Or do I need to remove the rocker arms/push rods first? Please help as I am working on dad"s old tractor.
 
I believe you have to remove the rocker arms and tappets first. It is probably a good idea to mark the tappets so that they go back in the same holes as you re-assemble.

Unless the previous owner used permatex or something on the headgasket, the head should then lift right off the block.
 
Yes remove rocker arms and push rods , may need to use a small chisel between the head and block don't gouge just tap chisel lightly till the head and block start to seperate. then use a prybar to finish the job.
 
It depends on the tractor. As HillbillyOH said, you might have to remove the rocker arms (on my Case 830 you have to, because four of the head bolts are underneath them). Also, it's convenient to get the pushrods out of the way just so you don't damage them. It's not unusual for it to be a wee bit stuck, even without sealant, but it should come off relatively easily. Just don't do any prying at the gasket area.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top