I don't need another project

37 chief

Of the things my brother left me when he died a couple years ago, that actually has some value, is his 56 chevy two door. I should be getting my
tractors ready for my mowing season. The car has been sitting for at least 30 years. He was going to fix it someday. Now Iam going to fix it someday. I
can't work on it now but, I'm moving it inside out of the weather. The car was sitting beside a shed covered up. It had 4 flat tires, and it was all my
MF 231 could do to pull it out, where I could change the tires. My brother bought a new 350 crate motor from Chevrolet in the early 70's It was a very fast
car in the day. I should get rid of it, but I'm the last of the us three brothers to own the car. From sitting outside it has some cancer, but is still
repairable. Not like a salt road car from back east. Stan

Sometimes I think it's better to just bite the bullet on a procrastinated project, and just hire it done.
Kind of the same thing happened to my cousin. He had a 57 chevy he tinkered with off an on. Never made any real progress on. He died before the project really saw any head way. His brother inherited the project. Sat in a garage for years in pieces because he was not yet retired and had the time. Once retired, he didn't have the know how to work on it himself. But wanted to finish it anyways because of the sentimental part. So, it got drug out over a bunch more years. He did finally complete it. Had the project been hired done from the get go, both of them could of enjoyed driving the car all those years. In this case it was never really was a project that was intended to be done together in the beginning. It was more like, the dream if one, only later became the dream of
the other. I kind of didn't get the point of the importance of doing it
themself when they didn't have the time.

At this stage of my life I can't imagine tackling a project like that!

Body work has never been my strong point, don't have the tools or place to do it, and the thought of taking on a project like that has no appeal to me. Your outlook could be quite different, I don't know your situation.

If it were mine, I could possibly do the mechanical and electric, but the body work, no way! That would have to be farmed out.

Not sure I could even bring myself to do that much. Sounds like more work, and I'm trying to steer away from the w word if I can!

56 is my favorite also. Use to wrench for a guy on oval cars and when the racing season was over we put the race motor in the 56.

If a guy has all the skills, talking on an auto project is a great idea I think, but unless one has deep pockets, farming the work out to shops could be an eye-opener. Some of the stuff I see at the auctions (Barrett Jackson, Hemmings, etc) are the result of huge dollar investment and I suspect a good number of those owners take a beating when all the dust settles. Mind you, in your case there is more to it than just an everyday car. Good luck whatever direction you head in ....

Mine too, i always figured it was the first year, for Dual exhuast, 4 door hardtops, and 4 barrel carburetor, kind the start of the horsepower race![1956]

The corvette is still here with four flat tires as well. It's inside. It's a 69. My brother parked the 65 Chevy, when he got the Corvette. Probably not going to do much with it. A few people are interested in purchasing it. Stan

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back