I FOUND IT!!

Pete-N-Ga

Member
Been looking for the secret bolt to add grease to the steering sector for my 8N (8N406169). I"ve actually had the bolt out but just tonight I found that it had a hole in the back. Now, how do you get the grease forced into the hole? It"s 7/16-14 threads. do you have to make an adapter for a grease zerk? Can you buy it already made? thanks in advance for the help, you guys have been a great help in the past for me.
 
Pete--you can buy a brass "reducer" fitting at Home Depot that will screw right into the steering box and the grease zerk screws right into the other end. About $1.75 plus cost of the trip.
a105103.jpg


Tim
 
This is getting interesting. I have a late model box that has the oil fill plug on the left side behind the dash brace/frame.
 
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought brass threads were pipe threads and different than the bolt threads in the steering box. Of course after a couple of turns the brass threads would probably give enough to at least work. The same thing with the zerk fitting (?)
 
Hal---you are right, however, the early style steering boxes (like the one of my 49 8N shown in the picture) actually used a 1/4" pipe plug(original part #358061) instead of a regular bolt for the filler plug.

My 51 8N uses the regular bolt thread.

The brass reducer is a perfect fit where the 1/4" pipe plug used to be and a large grease zerk will screw right into the reduced end.

HTH----Tim
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top