I got me a 135

Hello to all,
Well after much deliberation, advice for you fine folks on Yesterday's Tractor forum, going to consignment sales and hours of searching on Craigslist I finally purchased a tractor. It is a Massey Ferguson 135 3 cylinder Perkin's diesel with the 6 speed transmission. According to the serial number it is a 66 model. It doesn't have power steering, but it has been converted from a generator to a 12 volt system. I tried to hold out for a 70 to 74 model with the 8 speed transmission, but necessity wouldn't allow me to wait. This deal in my opinion was just almost to good to pass up. This tractor was purchased new along with a Massey Ferguson 150 and was a one owner until three years ago. The man that I purchased it from said his uncle bought it new in 1966 and kept it until his death 3 years ago and it was handed down to him. He told me that the tractor had had an engine overhaul and after using it all day today pulling my MF #25 6 foot disc with a drag attached, I believe that the statement was true. WOW! am I impressed with my MF 135 diesel. It starts instantly, runs as quite as a mouse and after a day's use consumed only about 5 bucks worth of diesel.

Oh by the way, did I mention that I LOVE this tractor. However, I have some questions that I hope some of you Massey Ferguson owners can answer. I've contacted my local MF dealer and they were unable to answer a couple questions. I need to know what is the part number for the oil filter and is Rotella 15-40 the best choice oil to use for the tractor? Also, I would like to know the correct part number for the fuel filters. The MF dealer tells me that I have a two stage air filter, however when I lift the hood all I find is one, am I missing something or does my tractor only require a single element? If anyone knows the correct part munber it would be very helpful. I also would like to change all the other fluids, I am unsure if the tramsmission requires one type and the rear end another. Any help in the best fluid/fluids would also be very helpful I just want the best for this ole girl.

I am unable to speak for most of what you ask, however most tractors of that time took 30w oil, however I have a continental gas in my MF50 and I run Rotella 15w-50, and it seems to run a little easier, and raised the oil pressure 2 psi.

Hi There,
Assuming filters are original and oil hasn't been change to the 'Spin-On' type they should be ....

835 568 M2 ... Oil Element
835 994 M92 ... Fuel Element

They can be obtained in 3 element sets.

There are two different air filter types, one of which is indeed a two stage filter.

Single element is 102 9945 M92

Dual elements are 103 2762 M91 and 523 419 M92 (inner)

Rotella 15/40 should be fine.
Hope this helps ....

chas

I don"t know about "Across the pond" but The UK built MF has 2 fuel filters, the same bog standard type of CAV style filters that are fitted on most modern diesel engines actually.
a39803.jpg

Hello Mark,
There are only two types of air filter that I'm aware of that are fitted to the 135. The oil bath or upright one was fitted to 135's in the UK up to about 1970. Dust is seperated from the incoming air and falls into the oil bowl at the bottom. From your 'two stage' description it appears that you have a 'dry' air filter. This is mounted horizontally and has an inner and outer element. The diagrams show the two elements.
If you have this type the inner one should be fitted as it is the finer of the two. If you are working in dusty conditions then I would consider it essential. The outer element can be blown out with an airline if not too caked. You should have a small bore pipe leading from the body to an indicator. Check that this is working (if fitted). Replacements will be available from your MF dealer but check with an alternative filter supplier or non-genuine parts supplier first for a price. The inner filter can be quite expensive.
DavidP, South Wales
a39804.jpg

135's were ALL 12 volt systems, even the ones with generators. I'm assuming you mean it's now got an alternator....

Good tractor. You'll be pleased with it.

MF Poor,
First of all, I want to thank you for all your help and guidance in my tractor selection. I already am very impressed.
Yes, my tractor has been converted over to an alternator. I may have a rarity, it seems as though the air filter housing assembly is inside the hood next to the battery and mounts vertically. Is this where the 135 diesel's housing is supposed to be. Would love your imput on engine oil selection.

Dave,
Thanks so much for your schematics, like the old adage a picture is worth a thousand words.
Where did you get the pics from?

The fuel filters are pretty standard Perkins or MF parts. The trans., diff., and hyd's all use the same fluid reservoir. Use MF Perma-Tran fluid, it works the best for MF tractors. Any good diesel rated 15-40 would be good for the engine. Rotella is good oil but there are other good oils as well. It would be a good idea to get an adaptor to change it to a spin on oil filter. The adaptors are only about $20 or so and much nicer to change than the cartridge filters. Now you know why 135's, especially the diesels, are so sought after. Outstanding engines and tractors in general. Your 135 will still be going in another 45 years if you look after it. Congratulations on your new purchase!

I use Pennzoil 15/40 motor oil, and Pennzoil Hy-Tran in the tranny/rear end/hydraulics. (Got a buddy who's a Pennzoil distributor)

I guess power steering would have been nice to have but MF Poor said it wasn't really necessary and after driving the tractor all day I have to agree. I also talked to a local tractor restorer on craigs list and was told that the 135s were notorious for P.S. leaks that are hard if not impossible to remedy. At any rate, it's one less thing.
I had a few minutes this morning to work on my tractor before I had to go to work. Yes, my tractor does have an inner and outer air cleaner element. The larger outer element came out easily, however the inner smaller cartridge seems to be stuck. Am I missing an unseen bolt or do I just need to manhandle it out?
Oh, have I mentioned I LOVE this tractor.

There is probably a wing nut to hold the inner safety filter in. Sometimes the rubber/foam seal at the other end of the filter gets stuck from being squished there for so long. If you've removed the wing nut and there isn't anything else holding it, try gently rocking the filter in all directions to break the seal on the rubber gasket. The manual steering is great on a 135 and more reliable. It is nice to have P/S if you're using a loader a lot but for occassional loader work the manual steering is just fine.

I have to ask seeing all this posting.
Is this the same Mark Henderson that will drive a Farmall in the Old Home Days parade shortly?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back