I got to test my people skills. Dave woulda been proud!

Don-Wi

Dad and myself were baling the last of the 1st crop that didn't fit in the bag. As we were going down the field (I was stacking on the wagon) it was very breezy and I watched a lady bagging her grass clippings (trying to anyway) and one of the paper bags got away from her.

It blew across her yard with her making a 1/2assed attempt to catch it. Just walking, not even lunging at it or picking up to a jog... I watched as it blew across our field, almost right in front of where we had to turn at the end of the windrow. A bale happened to pop the knot right when we got there, so Dad fixed that while I grabbed the bag and marched that bag right back over to her.

She smiles and says "Oh thanks!!" I replied by asking her why she couldn't go after it and basically how we don't want her crap in our field.

She said "well, I had to let it go because it's so windy......."

I told her I had no problem catching it. She then pointed to the strip of alfalfa along her yard and asked if there was anything we could do to cut those "weeds" down. They ARE on our "lot" by the way... I stated that because of the difference in height from her yard to our field would make it difficult. (green chopper would've worked fine, but I'm not hooking onto it just for her lazy butt) She then asked what could be done about it. I asked her if she had a trimmer, and she fires right back "Don't you?"

I said that they were in fact NOT noxious weeds, that it was a field, and we didn't have to do ANYTHING to the row.

She got really snotty and started walking away at this point. Before I walked back to the wagon I said we don't have to be friends, but we do need to get along and this sure ain't how to start with us.

Once finished baling, I went to the people on the other side of the street, who we get along with really great, and asked them about a tree Dad said they asked if we could cut down some time on our side. I didn't care for it myself and intended to do it, so I made time. I cut it off about 18" above the ground, wrapped a chain around it and pulled the stump out right away. I then put it on our burn pile, and went back with a bucket of soil from our cow pasture to fill in the hole from the stump. I then knocked on her door, said if she wanted to use some of that dirt for flowers or such, it would be great for that purpose as it was full of cow manure and would work well for her.

She thanked me, we had a nice conversation after she invited me in here house, and she thanked me again as I left.

Amazing how different 2 neighbors can be. The good one is a regular egg customer of my parents, picks up trash when she sees it in our fields, etc etc..., and then the lazy one just across the street that can't catch a paper bag before the thing gets across her yard.

I tell ya, Dave woulda been proud...

BTW- 207 bales, plus a 9 x 200 bag and one full chopper box from around 30-35 acres of hay. Even with being rained on, the hay turned out great.

Donovan from Wisconsin

She said "Thank you" and you bag her over a piece of bio degradeable paper.
That deserves an upward vertical second finger by either hand.
You would have had a field day if she had been smoking.

You'd be surprised what a hard/no BS tone will produce..
Demand respect for yourself, your property, and your rights, and give the same where deserved... Life is much easier... You may not have many friends, but the ones you have will be keepers.....

We have a farm that backs up to a subdivision and they were always dumping leaves,grass,brush etc over the fence of their backyards into our hay field,asking them not to got it stopped with all but a couple, for them I started dumping it all back in their yards with the frontend loader.That got their attention.

Wow. You started a fight over a stupid bag...........and you're wanting us to brag on you for doing it? ?? Dave probably is proud of you.

You can let your neighbors trash blow all over your fields, but i'm tired of picking up after them all the time. While a paper bag is indeed biodegradable, it won't be gone in a month when i'm cutting 2nd crop and it plugs up the sickle on the haybine. it'll choke out the hay where it lays and then wegave a nice bare spot in the middle of our beautiful field of dairy quality alfalfa

Donovan from Wisconsin

(quoted from post at 05:41:54 05/30/12) Wow. You started a fight over a stupid bag...........and you're wanting us to brag on you for doing it? ?? Dave probably is proud of you.

dam right I'm proud of him.... and just as ashamed of you... Must be a transplant to Missouri.... Folks I knew while there were standup, take/give no BS folks... If you don't respect/stand up for yourself, your property, and your rights, you have no right to expect someone else to...... It's not about the bag or the candy wrapper, it's the principal....

In my whole life, I only ever had 2 principals and I remember 'em well; Mr. Rochelle and Mr. Butler............

"...we do need to get along and this sure ain't how to start with us..."

If that ain't the truth...

Jeez, run the lady up the flagpole because she wasn't chasing the bag hard enough to suit you? What are you, her gym teacher?

You probably would've had her arrested for trespassing if she chased her bag into your field.

Boy from the replies you sure can tell who doesnt deal with the five acre kingdoms of city transplants boarding on your field on a daily basis

I think she got off easy' You should have tackled her, put her in an arm bar lock and gave her a world class noogie!

But seriously I have had three landowners bordering my property pull survey stakes. It burns me but I am not going to dwell on it. However a hunk of railroad rail and a half yard of concrete will help.

Brad

You hit the nail on the head wingnut. Just this spring, I can't count all the things I've seen in our fields from neighbors, their yards, and garbage cans.

I've seen:
Newspapers (rolled up, not sections)
Junk mail
golf balls (those go in my bag when I pick them up)
paper grass clipping bags (about 5x as large as a paper grocery bag)
Plastic shopping bags
styrofoam meat trays w/ saran wrap from gilling burgers/steaks
grass clippings
foam packaging materials
dog chit
lanscape bricks
ruts from turning around off the road into the field

Some neighbors are great and will actually pick stuff up if they see it in our fields. Others think it's their personal dumping ground.
Some we've had issues with in the past, and after a conversation or 2, some of which haven't been pleasent, are good (not great) neighbors and will offer a friendly wave when we see each other.

While it was breezy, it surely wasn't a gail force wind. She would almost have it, then it'd get away. This was at a walking pace for her. She tried 2 or 3 times to grab it and quit as soon as it went out of her yard. She watched it go, then turned around and just grabbed a new bag.

So many seem to say that it's wrong to stand up for yourself, and your property. My family has been on this farm for close to 200 years, and I'm sure as heck not gonna leck a cidiot think they can dump thier crap on our property. If I were in a really foul mood, we'd just start a manure pile right outside their window.

I'd challenge any of the nay sayers to live with this crap day in, day out, year after year, and see what they have to say about it.

Donovan from Wisconsin

You ought to have some ground next to a cemetery. The stuff that gets blown into my fields is unreal. But...it's no ones fault..just something you learn to live with. The winds bring it in and sometimes takes it back.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back