I hadn't seen one of these before.

Ultradog MN

I've owned a few early 3 cylinder tractors - 65, 66, etc.
Had them that still had canister filters and some that were converted to a spin-on.
But I've never seen one of these little drip lips under the canister.
I suppose they got mangled or were a pia when trying to get the canister to not leak so were taken off and thrown away.
It was still in good shape and I like it so saved it.
This is a mid 1966 engine.
By the way, what do you think the bolt hole at about 10:00 is for?
I has a similar cast land with 5/16 bolt hole like the two the drip lip bolts to.

cvphoto3696.jpg

cvphoto3697.jpg

Never seen that before either.

But it sure would be nice to keep oil from getting in that plug.

I use paper towels now, but....

Fred

I've seen a couple of them and wished I had one at times, usually if the engine was ever torn down for rebuild that piece never got put back on.
I had a gas 4000 once with horizontal exhaust, it had a heat shield around the oil filter that bolted on using the 10:00 and 5:00 holes, guessing it was for gas engines only due to their hotter exhaust temps, have only seen one diesel with factory horizontal exhaust and it didn't have that shield.

You've seen at least one before, you just forgot - Luke's 4000. It has both the drip lip and heat shield. Ill have to try to remember to get a picture later.

cvphoto3805.jpg

Luke's 4000. Early (January, if I remember right) '65 diesel. These survived at least one rebuild - it had +.020" pistons in it when we tore it down. Having only had one previous owner probably helped.

cvphoto3806.jpg

cvphoto3807.jpg

You're looking close, to see that!
This tractor had a BSD in it at one
point, which of course had the later
style exhaust manifold. When the
original engine was put back in, they
either used the BSD's manifold, or
bought a new one.

So does the exhaust come up thru the hole in the 4000's hood or did they change the left side hood panel to a 4600 style with the muffler farther forward.

It doesn't have the gooseneck to move the
muffler forward. The muffler goes out
almost in the original spot...but the
opening in the hood has to be modified a
bit. Unfortunately, they didn't do a
very nice job cutting... when Luke gets
around to beautifying his tractor, he'll
have to do some work there.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back