I;'ll try again.

Goose

What I was going to ask about computes, is I probably should get a new one, but I hear MS is coming out with Windows 12 this year.

Has anyone heard anything about that?

What I was going to ask about computes, is I probably should get a new one, but I hear MS is coming out with Windows 12 this year.

Has anyone heard anything about that?
They aren't developing 12 yet but support will end for Windows 10 in October 24. If you have Windows 11
you should be ok.

Most people do not need a "new computer". I'm a pretty heavy computer user and work in IT, and I rarely buy a "new" computer. Mostly I but refurbished Lenovo Thinkpads from Scamazon or fleabay for $200-$250 and they work wonderfully for pretty much everything I need including CAD work, except for HD video editing. I have one high end Thinkpad I use for editing and even that I still got used but it was more than $250.

As for OS, I use Windows on the Thinkpads since I need that for a few of the tools I use, particularly my CAD software. The Windows version is not important, indeed my main general purpose laptop is on Win7 and does just fine. The newer Thinkpads I buy of course come with newer Windows versions and they do ok as well like my kids lovely touchscreen Thinkpads with W10pro which were about $260ea.

I run Centos on a couple servers here and work with RHEL all day at work, but so far have not found any compelling reason to use any Linux variant as my desktop. I use Open Office, Libre Office, GIMP, Inkscape (terrible) and plenty of other open source stuff that I could run on a Linux desktop, but I've yet to find any open source CAD or video editing software that is worth a damn. I used to use Premeire for editing but have moved to Davinci Resolve now. The hot / hyped CAD is Fusion360, but it's too pricey and I refuse to do any subscription stuff so I use TurboCAD which I've used for decades.

I haven't run Windows on my home computer since 1992. I ran OS/2 for a few years, then switched to Linux and haven't looked back.
This reminds me of when we had computer shows around here. There was a BIG 2-day computer fair in Trenton, NJ every year. They had big names at that fair. One year the keynote speaker was Bill Gates.
Anyways, IBM had a booth set up. They were promoting their PS/2 systems and OS/2 operating system. After looking around trhe booth, an IBM rep approached me. I asked him why they were promoting only half of a computer system and half of an operating system. He just about turned green when I pointed out the mathmatical expression.

Most people do not need a "new computer". I'm a pretty heavy computer user and work in IT, and I rarely buy a "new" computer. Mostly I but refurbished Lenovo Thinkpads from Scamazon or fleabay for $200-$250 and they work wonderfully for pretty much everything I need including CAD work, except for HD video editing. I have one high end Thinkpad I use for editing and even that I still got used but it was more than $250.

As for OS, I use Windows on the Thinkpads since I need that for a few of the tools I use, particularly my CAD software. The Windows version is not important, indeed my main general purpose laptop is on Win7 and does just fine. The newer Thinkpads I buy of course come with newer Windows versions and they do ok as well like my kids lovely touchscreen Thinkpads with W10pro which were about $260ea.

I run Centos on a couple servers here and work with RHEL all day at work, but so far have not found any compelling reason to use any Linux variant as my desktop. I use Open Office, Libre Office, GIMP, Inkscape (terrible) and plenty of other open source stuff that I could run on a Linux desktop, but I've yet to find any open source CAD or video editing software that is worth a damn. I used to use Premeire for editing but have moved to Davinci Resolve now. The hot / hyped CAD is Fusion360, but it's too pricey and I refuse to do any subscription stuff so I use TurboCAD which I've used for decades.
I know. The best computer ever had was back in the day I threw one together with a blank hard drive, a bunch of spare parts, and a pirated Windows 7 Pro disk.

@wp6529 - Try FreeCAD. Might be what you are looking for. I used OS/2 for a while, as well, but it faded away. It ran on a computer that Windows would not even install on. Mageia 9 is my current desktop OS.

I do have one computer I have Windows 10 on, but only to run my video surveillance system. Current Linux products require a lot of setup to get working properly.

I swap hard drives (Linux to Windows) in my Thinkpad T61 to update my GPS, and also to maintain my one Cisco router that needs proprietary software for access.

Nice discussion about computers and OS's here. zuhnc

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back