I love after market parts

Charlie M

I bought a new water pump for my Super C. Old one was stuck when I got it. I got it loose and used the tractor for a while but it was making a lot of noise and had a lot of corrosion so I decided to replace
it. First problem is the way that pump was designed. One of 2 bolts is in a place that requires removing the pully which requires splitting the pump to get it out so the new one comes with the bolt already
installed. Problem is there is not enough clearance on the new pump to get a wrench on the bolt to get it tight. Its made so a boxed end wrench is the best wrench and you can't get one on the bolt head. It can
be turned a small turn at a time with an open end wrench but you can hardly turn it enough to get another grip and when the bolt gets to the end of being tight you can't even do that. It wasn't any problem on
the original one. I tried to grind down some cheap wrenches but couldn't take enough off. To make it work I put in some lock washers I cut in half for spacers and finally got enough in to make the bolt tight.
With the two cut lock washers and the correct lock washer there is about a 1/4 in of bolt that can't be tightened down with out spacers. I can't believe it is that hard for a company to make this stuff right.

I feel your pain!

I had to replace a rotted out underseat battery box on my Super M. The new box fit more or less, but I had to enlarge two holes in the bottom to get it to line up with the holes tapped in the transmission deck.

More frustrating was the tapped holes in the bosses that secure the seat base to the box. The OEM is tapped for a standard 1/2-13 cap screws. The new box however was apparently for about 1/2-12 - the screws would only go in about 2 turns before jamming. Had to retap both holes to to properly secure the seat.

On the same tractor I replaced a cracked manifold with an aftermarket. But the holes for the clamp bolts in the new manifold were drilled offcenter. It took some quality time with a rat tail file in each hole to get the manifold to bolt up properly.

(quoted from post at 11:24:31 07/19/23)More frustrating was the tapped holes in the bosses that secure the seat base to the box. The OEM is tapped for a standard 1/2-13 cap screws. The new box however was apparently for about 1/2-12 - the screws would only go in about 2 turns before jamming. Had to retap both holes to to properly secure the seat.
ere those holes also a bit oversize? The holes were probably tapped for metric M14x2. 14 mm is less than 1/16 over 1/2 inch and metric thread pitch 2 comes out to 12.7 tpi.

I'm gonna offer a different opinion. I'm happy that any company is making parts for a 50-75 year old, obsolete, Farmall tractor. And I'm glad I am able to buy those parts instead of farmerizing stuff like my poor grandpa had to. A little modification isn't that difficult or worth fussing about.

(quoted from post at 11:26:02 07/20/23) well why cant a aftermarket part be made right for what you pay for it

Because quality costs money, and you can't expect OEM quality for pennies on the dollar.

Surely you've heard the idiom, "Good, fast, and cheap. You can pick any two." Good and fast, it won't be cheap. Good and cheap, it won't be fast. Fast and cheap, it won't be good. Look up the iron triangle to see where this comes from.

These days, fast is a fixed point. Factories want to get it cranked out and get on to the next thing. Distributors want product to sell.

This post was edited by BarnyardEngineering on 07/21/2023 at 05:06 am.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back