I need an honest opinion about pickup trucks.

jmohr

We are in the market for a new farm pickup truck. We have always had Dodges or Chevys. We are thinking 3/4 ton, 4x4, gasoline engine. Our last new one was a 94 Dodge. My uncle has a 2004 Chevy that also handles our 20" gooseneck very well. Our heaviest loads are 10 - 12 loads finish cattle per year so there is not a whole lot of heavy pulling within a year.
I will even consider a Ford at this time so I want some opinions of newer trucks based on your experience. Thanks in advance.

I haven't had good luck with Ford trucks. I bought a Toyota (made in Texas)and it has been great; well made, reliable.

Get a 2006 or 2007 (classic body style not the new body 2007) Duramax with the allison. Period.

LBZ 6.6 Duramax is the best out there for used.

newer 2007+ are troublesum.

Trust me, or take a look at my stalls or work bench. Pieces and parts don"t lie.

Dodge good. I don"t know about fords other than fixing on the 6.0 diesel has paid for my house, boat, tools and ex wife.

I've had Ford Chevy and Dodge. Currently I have a Chevy 3500 flatbed dually, a Dodge 1500 4x4 and a chevy 1500 2wd. They all have their good points but unless Ford has lowered it's quality I'll buy Fords from now on. It seems like there is always something wrong with the Chevys, nothing major but stuff that is aggravating such as door handles and AC controls. The Dodge is OK but is a gas hog.

as stated below do NOT buy an older ford with the 6.0 diesel. been there done that, 7.3"s are ok in my book,done that too, never had a bit of problem with the 7.3. Just sold the 6.0 (finally), no one wanted it. went back to a "12 f-250 with gas engine,

I was told only thing chevy on a chevy truck is the body, allison, izuzu, bendix brakes and Dana axles? Dont know. I think ford 250s 350 have heavier running gear, heavier front and rear ands ect.

Apparently some of you guys can't comprehend. He said he wanted a gasoline engine. NOT a diesel, and we've got at least 3 replies now that are recommending the diesel engine.

For what it's worth, does Ford even offer a good engine that is NOT a diesel? That would be good for use in a 3/4 ton used for towing? And that little turbo-charged V6 whiz-bang thing doesn't count. Not for an actual WORKING truck.

Chrysler (Dodge) is now owned by Fiat. The Jury is still out on that.

Does Toyota even make a heavy duty, 3/4 ton?

Kinda narrows it down to a Chevy or GMC doesn't it?

I have a 03 Chevy 3/4HD with the 6 liter in it, a small block with lots of power, I pull a 35 ft 5th wheel easly and haul a JD R plus about anything anyone wants hauled, no problem with the truck in 100,000 miles , but it doesnt get good gas milage. 13 empty and 9 1/2 hauling the 5th wheel. My next one will be a Chevy

We have a Ford 3/4 ton 4x4 with the 5.4 and automatic. We only use it for pulling. Have 1/2 tons for run around trucks. I think it's an 07, and has about 30,000 miles. We pull a 20' stock trailer, and a 25' flat bed. Never gets anywhere real fast when loaded heavy, but it has never not made it. Works real good for what we do, and have had zero problems with it.
David

(quoted from post at 18:41:15 09/20/12) We are in the market for a new farm pickup truck. We have always had Dodges or Chevys. We are thinking 3/4 ton, 4x4, gasoline engine. Our last new one was a 94 Dodge. My uncle has a 2004 Chevy that also handles our 20" gooseneck very well. Our heaviest loads are 10 - 12 loads finish cattle per year so there is not a whole lot of heavy pulling within a year.
I will even consider a Ford at this time so I want some opinions of newer trucks based on your experience. Thanks in advance.

I am a ford guy so I am probably biased but I would look at a Ford F350 SRW 4x4 with a 6.2 gas engine. Just my 2 cents.

Asking about pickups is alot like asking about tractors, opinions can be all over the place.

I have no great bias, I work on them all. Alot is gonna depend on the price range/year range you are after.

You said you were looking for gas, so my vote would be for the GM 2500HD w/6.0. The only real difference between the HD and straight 2500 is you get a better gear ratio in the difs for pulling. I like sitting up in a ford or dodge better, but as far as gassers go the 6.0 seems to be the best all around pulling/runaround set up. The transmissions are pretty solid too.

As far as diesels. Id stay away from the ford 6.0. Ford 7.3, chev duramax, dodge 24v 5.9 all have their followers. Alot of buying a used diesel is previous maintanence, and what the guy before you did to it. Seems around here, alot of guys really mess em up with programmers and modifications, then pull their toys off and trade em in shot. BW

Seams like no matter what you get someone has had a bad experience with that vehicle. When I bought my used 96 dodge 3500, several shops I contacted said they were not a good motor. two years late no problems so far. Stan

I would say best bang for the buck would be a mid 2000s chevy with duramax and 6 speed transmission. I had one, and did not like how it rode on the highway, no issues but the ride. It had zero issues. I bought a new ford super duty, love the ride but could not justify the cost for a farm truck.

I have a dodge 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 hemi. No problems. Have put tires and brakes on it. Gas mileage is not great, around 14 overall.

A friend of mine has a 11 F250 with the 6.2 V8 gas and 6 speed auto. He is a double wide house mover. He pulls a tracked thing that will lift up 1/2 a double wide and move it side-ways. and a little track-hoe thing that carries the tongue. Probably 20000 lbs. He traded in a Dodge Cummins. He says the Ford pulls the load ok. but busses doing it. Where the Cummins did it easily. But the bottom line was the diesel never paid for itself. In fact he says the Gasser is a little more expensive to operate but in 150000 mi will never pay for the extra the Diesel costs. Also the Ford is a lot nicer inside.

I have a 1984 F350 4x4 6.9, and a 2002 F250 4x4 supper cab short box 7.3 Diesel 6 speed, single ax. I was pulling 3 ton (plus trailer)up, and down from 9000' elev. LOVE THAT TRUCK.

Why a pickup?

Why spend 50k on one other then a write-off?

Get a used import car to do your running around in for cheap MPG.

Get a used day cab single screw semi for trailers, no question about power to pull or brakes to stop.

Get a $750 old 4x4 pickup for running pastures. would not even to tag it if it lived on the farm.

Pocket the $25k saved for fuel.
Just another option to consider.

(quoted from post at 12:43:45 09/20/12) Why a pickup?

Why spend 50k on one other then a write-off?

Get a used import car to do your running around in for cheap MPG.

Get a used day cab single screw semi for trailers, no question about power to pull or brakes to stop.

Get a $750 old 4x4 pickup for running pastures. would not even to tag it if it lived on the farm.

Pocket the $25k saved for fuel.
Just another option to consider.

3 vehicles instead of just one? 3 vehicles to license and insure instead of just one?

Not to mention what it would cost to license and insure that semi-tractor, plus the D.O.T. numbers, plus the fact that you need a CDL to drive it.

PickupTrucks.com did a comparison of both gas and diesel heavy duty trucks. Try this link - http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2010-heavyduty-shootout.html. It"s still there. Otherwise on their website look under "Special Reports" and you"ll see "2010 Heavy Duty Shootout".

Ford has two V8 gas engines the 5.0 with 360 HP and the 6.2 with 411 HP. If 411 HP and 434 FT Pds of torque isn't enough for you need to buy a semi tractor.

My BIL bought the little V6 turbo whiz bang engine, it has more torque than the 1997 F350 with the 460 engine.

Sorry, like I said it was just another option.

Already have the Class A, so the semi is just easier when it comes to loads, more versatile, use at harvest for grain trailers, flatbeds, goose neck ball and then can pull a little 30 foot cattle trailer even.

The car is nothing special, just a lot more comfortable for running errands, grabbing parts, meeting people, going from farm to town, etc; and much better mpg then a 3/4 ton pickup, not to mention maintenance costs (priced 10 ply tires lately?)

And like I said, the beater pickup could live on the farm, no tags needed.

I'd rather pay tags and taxes and insurance on the car and semi then a brand new 3/4 pickup, the first years depreciation on the new truck would cover it actually. But again, just another option from a thrifty minded individual, if you need a tax write off I understand.

Sorry, like I said it was just another option.

Already have the Class A, so the semi is just easier when it comes to loads, more versatile, use at harvest for grain trailers, flatbeds, goose neck ball and then can pull a little 30 foot cattle trailer even.

The car is nothing special, just a lot more comfortable for running errands, grabbing parts, meeting people, going from farm to town, etc; and much better mpg then a 3/4 ton pickup, not to mention maintenance costs (priced 10 ply tires lately?)

And like I said, the beater pickup could live on the farm, no tags needed.

I'd rather pay tags and taxes and insurance on the car and semi then a brand new 3/4 pickup, the first years depreciation on the new truck would cover it actually. But again, just another option from a thrifty minded individual, if you need a tax write off I understand.

I could see maybe two but not three - especially with all the issues you have to be "legal" with a semi tractor.

You asked for an honest opinion, so here goes. Having farmed and been a used truck n tractor dealer for years my honest opinion is:

The Dodge with a Cummins has a GREAT engine if you dont mind the noise but they havent made a cab or front end that will last anywhere near the life of that great engine nor were their trannys much to brag about.

The Ford I dont like any V10 Gas and sure dont want any of their V8 diesels

I prefer a Chevy and the Allison tranny is great, their diesel is quieter but can loose a head gasket.

All in all ITS MY HONEST OPINION CHEVY IS THE BEST

As usual you get plenty of opinions to which all are entitled be they right or wrong, so now its for you NONE OF US to judge.

John T

When you look under a Ford or a Dodge you will find the same mix of suppliers and parts.

BTW, on the Chevrolet/GMC the Duramax is GM not Isuzu.

Rick

Ford Parts manager here.....
YOU'VE opened up a can of Worms!!

4.11 gears or shorter for towing
unless your a flat lander??
H/D on everything else. Should get you by.

So far our 6.2's aren't doing bad with the
right gears. I am sure GM & Dodge's larger
gas engines will do well to.

I am a firm believer that if you ride a horse
& it hasn't let you down, you should keep riding
the same horse. I have seen customers who'v been
Long time GM owners trade for a Ford & were
never really happy, & I've see Customers trade
their Ford or Dodge for another brand they
weren't really happy either.. As for Ford
they've never let me Down, but I know of some
you couldn't give me...

My Father would tell you, Go with what you
think is right.. If it's wrong, there's only one
person to blame....

NOBAMMY MOTORS!!!! Guess that just leaves FORD! I gave up on anything made by General Motors in 1985, and have been happy with Ford ever since. I will NEVER own anything made by General Motors.

That"s good, it will leave a better selection for me! It was one of the few things that Bush did right, to start the process to save the auto industry! Funny how rommy was against it, and now that it"s been successfully he wants to take credit for it! How many more times will he flip-flop! I just saw in the news that GM is going to buy back more stock with their profits. The auto industry is too widespread to allow to go down the tube!

David ,You just opened a can of worms that I was afraid to. I have a 2010 Tundra that is the best all round truck that I've owned.Power to burn,good ride, not so good on gas 17MPG Hwy,but willpull a 12k load on my gooseneck and not even grunt.5.7 and 412 rear end

You need a DOT number to haul just about anything anymore.
A friend who generally only hauls a tractor around to pulls on either an old converted school bus, or gooseneck trailer behind a pickup, bought a single axle, day cab tractor in good shape, cheap. He is so sold on it he says he'll likely not use the prior combinations again.

Those 6.0"s are money pits arn"t they ? I tell my customers that have them they need to set aside 4-5 grand just in case money. 7.3 is pretty durable and hearing nothing but good stuff about the 6.7

I drive a Chevy. Everyone has a favorite. Just buy an american made domestic. Yes Toyota's made in Texas but where is the money going? Support America buy American!!

I am like Morgan, find you A good F250 / F350 Ford and learn to like it. I think they are good pickup.Find the one you like that fits your need.

I have been driving Ford pickups for over 40 yr.
and I plan on continue with the Ford. I have A 1994 F250 5.8 gas, 5sp standard trans. w/o. It is A work horse, it is my farm truck, and I have 2012 F250 , auto. trans. 6.2 gas, I call my Sunday truck.

Hammer Man

Your full of Shirt. They don't make anywhere near the power you or the commercials say. We have them in the shop on the Dyno. If they make half that its a miracle. Just like the lawnmower engines They overrated a few years ago- its going to wind up in a big lawsuit. A old 230 cummins truck motor would destroy any thing they make in a gasser.

I drive 3/4 ton pickups.
Have had both Fords and Chevys from new.
Chevys ride better and they are quieter.
And the Chev tailgate is 3 inches lower than Ford or Dodge.
That is a big deal when you do a lot of loading and unloading of tools, lumber and equipment.
Maybe someday if Toyota or Nissan makes a 3/4 I will look at one.

jmohr, Here in Northern Central Texas. The Trend is going back to Gassers for the every day work details. The older farmers are Parking their older Dsl Crewcab, 4x4s. Putting them back in shape and Leaving them for the big hauling jobs and such, The 3/4 ton Regular cab, 4x4, w/a pu bed or w/a flatbed & Cake-box is the new rule Here.
The shorter Lighter pickups get around the pastures better, not as heavy! and don't get stuck as easily. Makes No Sense to take a relatively new $50,000+ truck to beat around the pasture and feed cows, Sheep,Goats
The Ford 6.2 gas is cutting a wide swath down here! Like someone else said get 4:10s or lower, gears. A little older Ford with a 5.4L engine with 4:10 or lower gears on a 4x4 should serve you quite well I would think too.
We have 3 or so Very, very, very Strong GM dealers in the area. but they still seem to cater to town people and their needs NOT the Farm & Ranch community. You just don't see that many GM working trucks!
The Farm and Ranch Guys are Predominately Ford or Dodge, no particular order there. Hope this helps!
Later,
John A.

(quoted from post at 10:44:16 09/20/12) I haven't had good luck with Ford trucks. I bought a Toyota (made in Texas)and it has been great; well made, reliable.

LOL yea but he's aking about 3/4 and 1 tons.....I wouldn't even look at a Toyota....one bad dealer (service department isn't where it should be) in the area next one is 90 miles one way!

Who's full of shirt????

Rick

Dmax was originally formed as a joint venture with the majority is owned by GM, which would make it GM owned. The duramax was originally designed by Isuzu.

GM also created the Allision division, just after WWII IIRC, they sold it in 2007.

My point being, if you look into any transportation manufacturer, many many parts are sourced other than the OEM.

If you think you are going to buy one vehicle vs. another that has more OEM content than the other, you won't.

Rick

Yes, the stock is sold in the US but it's a Japanese company and profits return to Japan.

Dean

(quoted from post at 19:11:28 09/20/12) Dmax was originally formed as a joint venture with the majority is owned by GM, which would make it GM owned. The duramax was originally designed by Isuzu.

GM also created the Allision division, just after WWII IIRC, they sold it in 2007.

My point being, if you look into any transportation manufacturer, many many parts are sourced other than the OEM.

If you think you are going to buy one vehicle vs. another that has more OEM content than the other, you won't.

Rick

Rick the thing is they may source from the same place but one company can order a 14 GA wiring harness while the other goes with 18 GA to save a few bucks. In your theory all the parts from the same company would be interchangable......well they are not and they are built to specs of each company. Enough so that they could all be built in different plants.

You and I could both decide to market a TV under our names. We can both wind up using the same company. But lets say you, being an upstanding guy that likes quality and me being smuck that's only interested in profit your specs are much higher than mine. That TV manufacturer is going to run 2 lines to make "Rick's TV'S". They will even look different! There are not that many companies making Laptop puters....Toshiba makes a lot for different companies plus their own. They all look different! Now Toshiba has a base level that they will not go under but they are not all the same.

So saying that GM, Ford and Chyrsler are all the same isn't correct.

Rick

Sat under an overpass one time eating my lunch and watching all vehicles cross a double set of rail road tracks that weren't very smooth for an hour. what I observed was, all Chrysler Dodge products came almost to a complete stop when crossing the tracks like they were afraid their vehicles (Dodge trucks too) would come apart. Somewhere in the middle and leaning more toward the "take it easy" side were the General Motors products including Chevy trucks and cars. Then the Nissan and Toyota products were a little more daring. At the top, crossing the tracks with confidence were the Ford products, Pickups vans and cars too. This area is traditionally a Chevy truck area and they're are a lot of them. Now, if you want to talk commercial use. There are more Ford vans in use in fleets here and in other places. Yes, the Fords do not have as smooth a ride as the Chevys and Dodges but they tend to take the abuse of hired hand type driving better than the other brands.
(And, wasn't Ford the only american company that didn't take the external_link bail out money)

If one ever drives by a construction site of some sort or another like I have, it has been my observation that most trucks parked near or around are Ford trucks,..that is unless they are owned by the government!

As already said,...Ford didn't take the sell out (bail-out) Side note: Hitler did the same with the German car manufacturers.

And if one looks at the other makes,...they have so much plastic crap on them, they are junk. Chevy's more than most.

Again,...easy,...buy Ford.

Ya know, posts like this just don't get to the heart of the matter.

You say [i:654c4848f0]"If one ever drives by a construction site of some sort or another like I have, it has been my observation that most trucks parked near or around are Ford trucks,..that is unless they are owned by the government!"[/i:654c4848f0]

I have to ask what kind of construction and in what part of the country?
I see about the same 37% 37% 26% mix of Ford, Chevy and Dodge at most construction sites and about a 50 50 mix of Ford/Chevy used by the State, County and City here.

[i:654c4848f0]"And if one looks at the other makes,...they have so much plastic crap on them, they are junk. Chevy's more than most."[/i:654c4848f0]

Plastic where? Grills, dash, door panels, valance, bed rim, heater air intake, cowels?
I see about the same amount of plastic used in all brands of vehicles. Plastic is good. It is light, cheap, doesn't rust and doesn't dent.
I've only had one new Ford a 96 F250.
I replaced the wiper blades at 25K, tires at 45K front brakes at 40K, front seal on the transfer case at 40 and 80K and a ujoint on the right front axle at about 75K.
My Chevys have gotten 50k on wiper blades, 70K on the original tires, about 70k on rear brakes and 140K on front brakes.
But I assume Ford has upgraded their brakes since 96.
My first Chevy did have a starter go out at 37K. But they fixed it free even though it was just past the warranty. NO other repairs were needed in 150k on my first one and 98k miles on the current one.
But none of those things really make or break a vehicle and the Ford was an excellent pickup. I think making blanket statements about how one is so much better than another is just plain incorrect.
Consumers are looking for value, reliability and lowest cost of ownership.
If one brand was so much better (or worse) than another it would show up in sales statistics.
But none of the big 3 have really gained or lost in market share in the last few years that I know of.

I'm not famaliar with much more than Chevy, and personally don't really like mine. Main reason being the underpowered 5.0L and the 4l60e.It gets the job done but is slow doing it and you have to watch transmission temperature. I think that anything with a 4l80e would be good for towing. If I were looking for an occasional towing vehicle I would likely lean towards something like a 2000-2006 2500HD with a 6.0 and 4l80e or better yet, a 8.1 with an Allison. If getting decent mileage is a concern when not towing, then forget both of these vehicles. The 8.1 is obviously horrendous but it seems the 6.0 only averages around 12-14 at best(unloaded). In that case find something with a diesel or a Vortec 350 should also get decent mileage, though it'll likley be a bit short on power. If you're buying a brand new truck, get a Ford, there's no point in owning a dodge if it's not a diesel and Chevy doesn't even deserve to exist. (nor does Dodge, but atleast private industry ended up buying them)

whats wrong with the dodge? reason im asking i run old trucks 3 of them as i sold one, my 94 dodge is going strong with over 250,000 miles it does have a few character marks in its body, most farm trucks do, but nothing worth fixing, this ones a diesel, my gassers are a 83 c-30, and a '80 k-30 both have working bodys on them the 83 is pushing 150,ooo and the 80 has 52000, from new i found that in a life long friends barn and bought it , i can fix these, yes the gas mileage on 4;56 geared 454 chevys is terrible, but one thing ive noticed is most of my friends who buy new trucks also have some of these trucks spending a lot of time in the dealers shop, with some kid trying to figure out just which computer do dad is bad on the truck, none of my trucks have been in a commercial repair shop in decades i fix them here on the rare times they actually need fixing, and 1 trip to the dealers shop will buy lots of gas, might consider refurbishing your truck you have, it will be fine again, and you wont be making those 7 to 900 monthly payments, which again buys lots of gas, not to mention the insurance is a lot cheaper on the older trucks too

I myself like Dodge diesels. The company I work for have GM trucks both gas and diesel. I don't like the front end on the GM trucks. I'd rather have the straight axle like the Dodge or Ford. As far as a gas motor like you talked about. I don't think any one builds a good gas burner any more to go in a 3/4 or ton truck. The 6.0 or 6.2 GM gas motors have good power until you put a trailer behind them. Ford gas engines don't have any power without a trailer to me and get terrible milage to boot. Dodge doesn't really have a motor either in the new trucks. Some of the old V10's used to be alright I think. It was just a 318 with two extra cylinders. As bad as I dislike the GM front axle that may be the better choice if you are going to go new and a gas burner. Just my two cents worth.

Chris

I'll agree and disagree with you. You are right, there are a lot of parts/materials sourced from the same suppliers that are not the same. Same basic design, but different thicknesses etc. like your wiring example.

Then there are parts that are sourced are identical, and are interchangable. One OEM may fail a part while the other may not based on the application of where the part is at, the loads and stresses it sees.

I have designed robotic assembly cells for all of the vehicle manufacturers (domestic and foreign) and you would be amazed how strikingly similar the parts are. Then you would probably be just as surprised how many different ways the same "widget" is designed.

I then designed these same parts, now I test these designs. Some parts have very minor tweeks based on an OEM spec that the other OEM doesnt call out on a print.

That minor tweek, or the same part in two different applications can make a world of difference in the outcome.

Rick

(quoted from post at 08:14:53 09/21/12) Ford took the Government back loans,was that not a bailout?

Ford took a ton of government money under the table, but because it wasn't part of the "bailout" they don't have to claim it as such, and have everybody snowed.

Besides, you can't make clever acronyms like "Government Motors" out of FORD.

I have 2. A 96 Dodge with the Cummins and a New Ford.
Drive them all, look at how easy they are to service, drive them again and pick what you like and can afford. They are all pretty much the same.
I just wish the beds on the new ones were not so darn high.

when i went from chevrolet to ford that ended my transmision problems, for the most part my rust issues, seems like the ford has a better seat it just sets better and i know for sure my powerstroke has more beans than the duramax it replaced.But I dont get the fuel economy I did with the chevrolet. I like the ford better, and it was not built with your tax dollars!

I think you're right on Kansas Cockshutt. I use a Jetta diesel (45 plus mpg) for running around. Have a 2000 Ford 8 std (w/o one option) for on farm running and I'm looking for a semi (insurance will cost me less than $1200 for the semi). Who wants to "use up" one of those over priced $50000 status symbols doing what we all do.

(quoted from post at 17:17:23 09/20/12) Ford Parts manager here.....

I am a firm believer that if you ride a horse
& it hasn't let you down, you should keep riding
the same horse. I have seen customers who'v been
Long time GM owners trade for a Ford & were
never really happy, & I've see Customers trade
their Ford or Dodge for another brand they
weren't really happy either.. As for Ford
they've never let me Down, but I know of some
you couldn't give me...

My Father would tell you, Go with what you
think is right.. If it's wrong, there's only one
person to blame....

You said a mouthful there. I always had Fords until about 8 years ago. I thought I'd try the other 2 (GM and Dodge) The next truck will be a Ford. I just don't like my Dodge and the Chevys are dollaring me to death.

the reason Ford doesn't have a good gasser is they
stopped making it. that being a 300-6 . with the
right gears , it will work with any diesel. pound
for pound they have more torque than anything else.

Fixed Or Repaired Daily (FORD). They probably build the best truck (see more of them on the road than any others) but I'm a Mopar guy so if I could afford a truck it would have a Cummins in it. Chevys are in the shop more than on the road around here. Wouldn't even consider one.

You forget that Henry Ford sent engineers to Germany to help Hitler set up the Volkswagen factories.

I don't know about 2013 yet,but Ford is and has been the ONLY truck aval.with manual hubs and transfer case forn the last 10-15 yrs.This new 6.2 engine is really turning out good,mileage and performance wise.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back