Identifying .040 and .090 thick sleeves.

FarmerHR

Member
Can the thichness of the piston sleeves be determined by measuring the with of the sleeve at the top ?
I am interested in determing wheather I have .040 or .050 thick sleeves.
Thank You for your usual fine help.
 
Farmerhr.......interesting question, since the bore of both the sheetmetal sleeve and the castiron sleeve is the same. I think the lips that are counter sunk into the top of the block are the same. Me? I look at the sleeve skirts from the crankshaft end. Its real eazy to guesstimate 1/16" for the 0.040 sheetmetal sleeve ...or... guesstimate 1/8" for the 0.090 castiron sleeve. .......Dell
 
I askedthis question of soundguy a few days ago and he told me that the fery top of the sleeve after leaning the area would probably give me the actual virgin thickness which is what I asked him about. I have not tried ot yet due to health issues and mobility but I think the area above the piston travel should be correct for the question. Devious
 
I went out and measured some on a block I have t orn down. I measured 3/64" at the top. don't know what a 090 would show at the top but would expect it to be 050 more.
 
Thank You very much for the excellent replies. It sounds like I should be able to tell. However; I will look from the bottom as suggested.
The approximate measurement of 3/64 is about .047. This is pretty close to .040. A .090 sleeve would have to be greater than 3/32 which is about .094.
When I get into it, I will send out a posting.
Once again, thanks very much.
 
r geiger,
Thank you for the change on the measurement. 3/32 is about .094 inches. Since you know your sleeve is .040 inches, the lip must be about .054 inches wide.
Assuming that a .090 sleeve has about the same with of lip, the top should measure about .144 inches. This is about 9/64 wide.
Does this sound right ?
Will still check from the bottom.
Once again thanks for all the thoughtful help.
 
(quoted from post at 00:16:45 08/15/10) r geiger,
Thank you for the change on the measurement. 3/32 is about .094 inches. Since you know your sleeve is .040 inches, the lip must be about .054 inches wide.
Assuming that a .090 sleeve has about the same with of lip, the top should measure about .144 inches. This is about 9/64 wide.
Does this sound right ?
Will still check from the bottom.
Once again thanks for all the thoughtful help.

The early OEM .040 sleeves don't really have a lip - they are simply flared out slightly on the top - similar to the way a copper water line is flared for a fitting.. Measure the bore in the block at the bottom. 3.287 for thinwall, 3.387 for thickwall. You can tell the difference (.100) with a good steel rule.

TOH
 
HI T I have gotten the tool and used it to remove two complete sleeves and two partial sleeves. The two partials had rust area and the tool just took the solid piece of sleeve on by and left the rest of the sleeve in the space between the tool and the bore wall. I don t think it will pick it up if I tried it again. I will try when it cools down in the garage a little. If not I will get the machinists guy to work it out. The cylinder bore is still standard and has not been oversized so I have some wiggle room to dress it a small amount if needed. Devious
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top