ignition problems.

RedTail

Member
I have an 8N side mount 6 volt. It died on me mid-bushogging. I am not getting spark off teh coil wire. Actually I get one spark as i turn over the ignition from the coil wire , then nothin. Points are gapped properly, and I have 6 v at coil and distributer. Does it need a new coil? Just want to make sure I am on the right track before I buy a new one. Thanks.
 
Could be a few different problems. Could be a bad switch, bad condenser or even a bad wire. What I would do to start with is hot wire it. Run a wire from the battery to the coil and see what happens. If it starts then you know its from the coil back to the battery. If it doesn't start then you have a problem in the distubutor.
Hobby farm
 
Redtail........as a general rule, the side-mount roundcan ignition coil is BULLETPROOF ...but... the weaksister ignition switch isn't. Replace yer ignition switch $10 (cheaper than coil)........Dell, yer self-appointed sparkie-meister
 
Clean the points first.Ive had my 600 stop twice for this reason.CLUE. the ammeter dosent move when you crank the engine.Points get hot and form oxides that insulate them.Clean with a pocket knife to get running again.New condensers are suspect.If the ammeter dosent jiggle while cranking go clean the points.If this happens in the hayfield take off your shirt, spread it out on the ground under the distributor.WHY this is where you will drop the rotor clip and wont be able to find in the grass.
 
Turn on your ignition but do not crank. You should see your dashboard ammeter deflect to about three amps.

No current flow? Points are likely not making good contact or there is an open elsewhere in the system. (The points have to be closed for current to flow, but they almost always are closed when the engine is at rest.)

If you have normal current flow, crank the engine. The ammeter should flutter as the points open and close again. No flutter? Points are likely not opening or shorted somehow or there is a short elsewhere in the system.

Ammeter read normally in all respects? Uh...sorry, wife's calling! Got to go!
 
Quote: "Actually I get one spark as i turn over the ignition from the coil wire , then nothin."

Quote: "Red; Better check your condenser!!"

Excellent deduction, Jim.

I wouldn't try to check it, though. I'd just replace it and see what happens.
 
Assuming you have good spark and adequate fuel flow correct set carb and no air leaks around the carb metering system, make sure that your initial timing is correct and the centrifugal advance sytem is working correctly.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top