IH 140 antifreeze, oil, oil filter, plugs, points, hyd fluid

First of all, thanks for all the advice to this new tractor owner. I've helped in many bear hunting, salmon fishing, shooting forums and know some experts can be demeaning to new folks trying to enjoy my hobbies. I certainly have not expierenced this here. Thanks.
I have researched servicing my new to me 1974 IH 140. Unfortunately, either the IH required part numbers are obsolete or not avail in my area.
My manual says change oil with IH -low ash SAE 30, is this just 30 weight oil? HD or non-deterrgent? What do you use?
What spin on oil filter is the same as IH?
What plugs are a sub? are they still gapped at .30 as manual says?
What points are an obsolute IH replacement?
What hydraulic fluid for Trans and Touch Control reservior after draining by drain plug only?
Steering gear box lube? farmer told me to just put a full grease gun in but it dont sound right. What do you use?
Where should I buy an Allison 3 ribbed, tubed front tire to match one sides new one?
Both Fast Hitch Bail pins at attach points inside rear wheels have missing safety keeper pins. farmer told me to replace with nails. anyone know size or part number?
What antifreeze should I use and the mix ratio you use ?
All help is appreciated.

First of all, thanks for all the advice to this new tractor owner. I've helped in many bear hunting, salmon fishing, shooting forums and know some experts can be demeaning to new folks trying to enjoy my hobbies. I certainly have not expierenced this here. Thanks.
I have researched servicing my new to me 1974 IH 140. Unfortunately, either the IH required part numbers are obsolete or not avail in my area.
My manual says change oil with IH -low ash SAE 30, is this just 30 weight oil? HD or non-deterrgent? What do you use?
What hydraulic fluid for Trans and Touch Control reservior after draining by drain plug only?
Steering gear box lube? farmer told me to just put a full grease gun in but it dont sound right. What do you use?
Where should I buy an Allison 3 ribbed, tubed front tire to match one sides new one?
Both Fast Hitch Bail pins at attach points inside rear wheels have missing safety keeper pins. farmer told me to replace with nails. anyone know size or part number?
All help is appreciated.
Down here I use 15-40 in gas and diesels for motor oil. Not sure on the next three questions, but NAPA should have it . hyd oil I use what ever oil that I run in all the other stuff, not fussy. Steering box just fill it with grease gun grease. No idea on the allison tire or the fast hitch bail pins. Down here I use 50-50 mix of green antifreeze. hope that gets you started.

All help is appreciated.
Quality brand 15-40 diesel grade engine oil. 30wt is a history lesson, not current technology for best practices.
NAPA will have the filter my application
NGK equivalent to D-18, or Autolite 3116.
NAPA and others have points for IH and delco distributors (whichever) Bluestreak or other American made.
Hytran or label equivalent.
Number O grease (corn head grease).
Ag tire dealers will have them or order them, (might not get a Allison brand).
The safety pins can be found by diameter and length from local farm stores. Those with a clip over bail are good.
Green antifreeze (conventional all vehicle will do) 50% with distilled or demineralized water, or 50/50 premix.
Use Mobil red synthetic grease in the fittings. Jim

gotta enphasize on the conventional green coolant and not the long life thats everywhere now Long life will destroy the radiator as it disolves the solder

I'm curious, where are you trying to find things that you're striking out so badly? Do you not have a CaseIH dealer or a NAPA anywhere close? What are you asking for? A lot of the things you are looking for are very common items. Literally a million tractors were manufactured that use those parts from 1939 to 1979, and hundreds of thousands of those tractors are still in use today.

Engine oil on this particular model of tractor is not critical. IH Low Ash was IH's product at the time, and obviously IH wants you to use their products with their machines because it means more sales. Use your favorite motor oil. 10W-anything wet and slippery or 15W-anything wet and slippery.

Plugs are common. You can still get the original Champions. AC, Autolite, NGK also make plugs to fit. There should be numbers on the current plugs, just pull a plug and take it with you to get what you need. You can get plugs and an ignition tuneup kit off the rack at Tractor Supply without talking to anyone, though I find paying $35 for four spark plugs a little ridiculous when you can get them at Autozone for around $3 each.

Does the tractor even have a spin-on oil filter? If it has a cartridge type, there's no spin-on that will just... spin on. You'd need to buy the adapter online, which is $120 and comes with a filter. The cartridge type should be a Fleetguard LF618, which the NAPA guy can easily cross reference to FIL 1172 for you. If it already has the adapter the filter should have a number on it which the NAPA guy can easily cross reference for you. Or you can just search and order it online.

For the safety clips, just buy an assortment at Harbor Freight or Tractor Supply. Cost you the same as buying what you need in 2-packs, plus you have a bunch to use for other things. Bent nails work just fine too. Better than having the pins fall out.

Grease is fine for the front gearbox. It's supposed to have gear lube but most likely the seals have failed and it all leaks out. EP0, Number 0, and corn head grease (all the same thing) is kind of halfway between gear lube and grease. You can use it but most places will look at you like you're crazy if you ask for it. Tractor Supply does carry it. It will be on the lower shelf near the hitch pins, clevices, and three point parts.

For antifreeze there is no reason to use any other ratio than 50/50. Some people will tell you that premix is a "scam" but really most of the cost in bringing a gallon of coolant to the store is packaging and shipping. You're paying for water but at least you know it's clean mineral-free water that isn't going to clog up your radiator tubes any more than they already are...

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back