IH 330 PTO disassembly

JC Davis

New User
I have an IH shop manual for this tractor but still have a question. It looks like I need a special puller to get the back cover plate off. Would never find an IH one made for this, but am stumped as to how to figure the bolt circle for three bolts.

Also, the text seems to say that the bearing retainer plate, can just be slipped off after the bolts are removed, but I can't see how to get a hold on it. It does need to come off so a nut on the PTO shaft can be removed.

Also, is there a way to edit my profile on yt?
cvphoto53431.jpg

cvphoto53432.jpg

If I recall correctly, all bolts must be removed to get that plate off. Then it is a matter of splitting it away from the bulk of the housing. Jim

I pulled those bolts still visible in the picture, but they are all short and meant for fastening the guards in pace.

The diagram and text indicate a nut has to be removed from the PTO shaft, so I need to get the bearing retainer plate off. It may just be tightly stuck to the gasket....

Seal plate is stuck due to built in sealer in gasket along with the asbestos used in all those older gaskets. (wonder how much I have inhaled over the years cleaning gaskets off with the wire wheel) Just take a soft punch (brass drift) and drive the plate either or both directions right in the bolt holes. Can take some really hard wacks.

Then you take nut off and fashion a puller with long bolts that screw into plate to pull plate along with bearing.

(quoted from post at 07:11:19 08/18/20) Seal plate is stuck due to built in sealer in gasket along with the asbestos used in all those older gaskets. (wonder how much I have inhaled over the years cleaning gaskets off with the wire wheel)

I don't know Pete. Must have been good for you from looking at your activity and ability to help people.

I got that plate off, made a deep socket from tubing to get the nut off. Made a puller as noted above. Got it all apart, swapped the two bands and reassembled. Works perfectly after adjustment.

Thanks to all.

Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back