Weak PTO on IH 300 Utility

thorn197

New User
Hello,

I recently purchased a 1957 IH 300 Utility and the PTO is really weak. Initially the PTO was constantly on even when I had the lever down. I followed the manual for adjusting the bands and fixed that issue. However, now that I am trying to use the PTO, it does not seem to be powerful enough to run the implements I bought the tractor for. When I have the brush hog on, it seems like it is operating as it should until I start mowing the grass. As soon as the blade comes in contact with the brush, it slows and eventually stops within seconds. I also tried running my tiller. When in the raised position is spins great, but as soon as it touches the soil is stops. It just seems like it doesn't have enough power. Any thoughts?

Thank you

Hello,

I recently purchased a 1957 IH 300 Utility and the PTO is really weak. Initially the PTO was constantly on even when I had the lever down. I followed the manual for adjusting the bands and fixed that issue. However, now that I am trying to use the PTO, it does not seem to be powerful enough to run the implements I bought the tractor for. When I have the brush hog on, it seems like it is operating as it should until I start mowing the grass. As soon as the blade comes in contact with the brush, it slows and eventually stops within seconds. I also tried running my tiller. When in the raised position is spins great, but as soon as it touches the soil is stops. It just seems like it doesn't have enough power. Any thoughts?

Thank you
The linkage on well used PTOs on the utility series become dysfunctional after years of use.
Two suggestions:
Make very sure there is no lost motion in the hand lever pivot and rod mechanism. Be certain the hand lever moves the PTO lever from the middle both ways. The woodruff key in the pivot gets wallowed and allows the lever to move without moving the rear linkage at all through several degrees of movement It must be repaired for the system to work.
Adjust it like this, after there is no play in links.
Move the lever exactly half way between the locked on position and locked off position (little flipper catch on lever. might take ratchet straps to do it well.
Take off the little dome metal cover from the adjust screws on the top of the PTO.
Loosen the jamb nut, and tighten the front (away from you) screw until it is just a bit tighter than the point at which it begins to feel tighter as it is screwed in (maybe a eighth turn) then back it off until the PTO shaft will turn with least drag by hand (about 3/4 turn out) and tighten the lock nut while holding the adjuster.
Do the same for the closer adjuster.
If the screws go into the jamb nuts and get flush with the top surface of the nut, the bands are probably worn out, and may be operational for a while, but plan on a rebuild.
Now (tractor off) push the the lever down toward the brake footplate. As it goes down, it should get harder to push when it is about 4" (or so) away from fully OFF. and be noticeably harder to push for the last inch, but not real hard. (this is the brake band tightening on the drum in the PTO unit.
Then pull it up and do the same feel.
The ON position should feel the same way.
The shaft should turn pretty free when the lever is half way, and not at all when in either ON, or OFF. (tractor shut off)
If it slips now, it needs a rebuild. JimN

Thanks for the reply Janicholson. The tractor was stuck in the CRP for the past week. I was going out to test an adjustment I made to the linkage when I got stuck. I just wanted to drop a courtesy reply to thank you for the advice. I'll report back when I get her going again. Now it won't start for some reason. Always something...

Thanks for the reply Janicholson. The tractor was stuck in the CRP for the past week. I was going out to test an adjustment I made to the linkage when I got stuck. I just wanted to drop a courtesy reply to thank you for the advice. I'll report back when I get her going again. Now it won't start for some reason. Always something...
Thanks, they are good when correct, and pain when not. The lever pivot key is a common failure that makes adjustment impossible. Jim

I once had my 300u PTO stop - just out of the blue- and it turned out the operating lever mounting bolts loosened up, not allowing the PTO to engage fully. Quick field fix for me and back to balling hay. Mark.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back